PDA

View Full Version : Sportline 500 E?

rockingchairmotors
11-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Just picked up this car. I have Sportline badges on both of my front fenders as well as Brabus cluster? Is this a special model or did someone just glue on the badges and change the cluster. I know later model MB's have a sportline option.

Thanks for your help

Dario
11-27-2016, 06:07 PM
Nah it neither sportline or a brabus. How many miles on that thing? Project?

rockingchairmotors
11-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Yes It has issues but runs and drives. odometer says 94K but I'm sure its more. Getting a car fax on Monday

nocfn
11-27-2016, 07:36 PM
Never a e500e with a sport line moniker

gsxr
11-27-2016, 08:46 PM
Sportline is badgineering. Doesn't belong on the car, depends if you want to bother removing them.

The instrument cluster is wrong on a couple of levels. The Brabus white-face overlay is a standard eBay item. However it also has the wrong upshift points; they should be at 40, 68, and 108mph respectively... not 41, 72, and 115 as shown on your speedo. More concerning is the missing ASR idiot light which indicates the entire cluster is probably not original... possibly may be from a 400E without ASR? You'll need to pull the cluster and check the K-number on the back of the speedo, and also check the part number on the F/O/T gauge. If it's a 400E gauge it's set up for a 70L fuel tank, not 90L, and will need to be adjusted to read correctly.

Finally, the 180mph speedo may not be calibrated properly and/or it may not match the odometer. You'll need to check the speedo with a GPS, and clock the odometer over 10 miles using roadside mile markers to find out accurate it is. Any time the speedo range is changed, the odometer calibration must also be changed. I put a 190mph faceplate on my E500 and it required having a VDO shop do some custom work to get it all working correctly.

You may find other surprises along the way...

:detective:

TerryA
11-29-2016, 06:58 AM
Dave,

Your such a "Fountain of Knowledge". You make this website ROCK!!!

gerryvz
11-29-2016, 07:43 AM
Dave,

Your such a "Fountain of Knowledge". You make this website ROCK!!!:gsxracer:
:allhail: