PDA

View Full Version : whick 600 grille to get?

Zuffenhausen
04-16-2011, 11:47 AM
need to replace my grille, is one 600 better than another?

JordiC
04-16-2011, 03:59 PM
First off make sure you choose the correct one to fit your car. The 92-93 style will not fit on 94 models and vice versa. The earlier models have the mounting tab up top, the 94 models do not. I don't want to link to other forums here but if you do a net search you will find various posts from other boards on this topic including build quality and fitment from specific vendors. I still have the original grille on my car so I can't comment on any brand.

gerryvz
04-16-2011, 09:43 PM
There was a thread on Scott's 500Ecstasy board from back in the day detailing aftermarket grills for the 500E and E500. I think some also took stock MB W140 grills and cut them down, but this wasn't as successful as an aftermarket solution. There are a couple of suppliers who provided some product that is very close to factory quality -- these suppliers are in Germany but I don't remember who. I was happy with the one I got from Germany some 7 years ago and it is still going strong on my car. There are other aftermarket grills that aren't as good of quality.

Perhaps some folks who have had more extensive experience with the aftermarket grills can discuss further. It takes about 45-60 minutes to replace the grill IIRC (at least that it is what it took me to do the job).

Cheers,
Gerry

IBNR
06-23-2011, 05:13 PM
I've had this question for a while now, even though I've had a 600-style grill on my car for going on 2 years. Mine is one of the many (hundreds?) you see on eBay, from the Far East (I think mine came from Taiwan), and it's of minimally-acceptable quality. As in, looks great from 10+ feet away, but don't look too close. I'd absolutely love to find one of factory quality or near to it, and would be willing to pay accordingly!

gsxr
06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
If you have a '94 grille, you can get the OE W140 S600 grille assembly, which is very good quality. It requires some mods to make it fit, but it does fit. The stainless strips are replaceable and all are purchased separately. I have this on my E500, courtesy of the PO. The EPC shows different part #'s for pre-95 and 95-up, and I'm not sure which works on the 124.

Either way, make sure you are sitting down when you check the prices. There's a reason everyone buys the Taiwan crap intead of OE.

:wormhole: :spend: :spend:

gerryvz
06-27-2011, 05:36 AM
I purchased my grill insert from a place in Germany, and it was German made and about 95% the quality of the factory grill insert. I don't remember the name of the vendor who sold it but I've been happy with it. Perhaps some Googling could help find this vendor. I know there was a thread on 500EX about it because that's what prompted me to get the new insert in the first place, and the vendor(s) were detailed there.

Perhaps as a starting point, an email inquiry could be made to Speed Autoteile in Germany... ?

Cheers,
Gerry

Jimbo
08-23-2011, 11:02 AM
http://www.eris-car.com/shop/index.php?cPath=159_183&sort=2a&page=4

Anyway...I can vouch for Eris's grill as good quality.

gerryvz
08-23-2011, 01:29 PM
That's it, thx Jimster. Hope you got my letter in the mail.

500AMM
08-24-2011, 03:37 AM
Hi.

Schätz Tuning do probably supply proper quality too:
http://schaetztuning.de/sports-grille-avantgarde-series-w124-p-640-1.html?sessID=te56vo1retff0a92fhmche7dtnppui1u

-arnt-

gsxr
08-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Yikes. $199-$219 Euro? That's ~$300 USD. Suddenly the ~$400 for the OE W140 stuff doesn't look so bad. The aftermarket units don't include the chrome frame/surround either, btw.

:spend:

bing
02-27-2012, 11:53 AM
If you have a '94 grille, you can get the OE W140 S600 grille assembly, which is very good quality. It requires some mods to make it fit, but it does fit. The stainless strips are replaceable and all are purchased separately. I have this on my E500, courtesy of the PO. The EPC shows different part #'s for pre-95 and 95-up, and I'm not sure which works on the 124.

Either way, make sure you are sitting down when you check the prices. There's a reason everyone buys the Taiwan crap intead of OE.

:wormhole: :spend: :spend:

Dave, do you have any write up and photos on the fitment of this mod grill?? Mine doesn't sit quite right. It keeps popin out from the inside whenever the hood is slam shut, rendering an easy shut again. I guess I need to take pictures of it when I get to the car again for better idea. Just thought you may have experienced the same or any members for that matter. Can't see anything missing, clips or whatever.

Thanks
Bing

gsxr
02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
No, I've never personally done this mod... it was on the car when I purchased it. Haven't had any problems though. The W140 grille insert has to be trimmed to fit the E500 housing, could be yours was not trimmed properly...?

:detective:

bing
02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
No, I've never personally done this mod... it was on the car when I purchased it. Haven't had any problems though. The W140 grille insert has to be trimmed to fit the E500 housing, could be yours was not trimmed properly...?

:detective:

It's been fine till recently. I'll take some photos to compare fitments perhaps.

Thanks, Dave!

Christian_K
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Here are a few ones:
http://www.evospeed.de/shop/mercedes-benz/mercedes-benz-a-c-w-s124-e-klasse-/k-hlergrill-mercedes-benz-a-c-w-s124-e-klasse.html

Quality of all have been reported as high. Even the "just" 69€ Avantgarde-Style inlets. Btw for searching on german ebay in germany we don't call it "600 grille", its called "Avantgarde Grill", "avantgardegrill" or "Avantgarde grilleinsatz" - together with the Term W124 of course. Most of the in germany sold ebay grilles should be also "OK" quality wise. My inlet in the C36AMG was from ebay according to the pre-owner and it looks as if it would have been made by MB. The one on my 500E is unknown, even the pre-owner bought it like that.

Christian_K
02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Here: http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=W124+avantgardegrill&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Personally i would never buy one WITH Frame. The Frames are mostly not at all in the same quality as the OE MB parts, so it could happen that the chrome will fail prematurely on the frame.