PDA

View Full Version : 94 E500 ON EBAY

PDX500E
06-13-2011, 01:22 PM
No affiliation......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 500wt_1121 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300567105027&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1121)

gerryvz
06-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Price seems a bit optimistic at $25K, but if the condition pans out, and given the mods & work done on it, I'd say it's a solid buy at $20 or perhaps up to $21K. Can't beat the color combo on it and the mods are tasteful and in character for the car.

Given the market and other current low-miles cars from good climates currently on the market, he's $3-5K too high on this one. That said, you don't see them this nice too often. :starwars:

Cheers,
Gerry

PDX500E
06-13-2011, 02:04 PM
I agree. He might be limiting himself w/ a min bid of $25K.....it may scare away potential bidders. We'll see!
Lane

szvook
06-13-2011, 06:33 PM
The car is quite nice, but adding the $ spent on the mods is a mistake. I personally would not want any of the RENNtech’s mods on my car…unless it was a 6.0L conversion, which is way overpriced. :wtf:

• Carbon Fiber Air Cleaner – strictly hype, does not do anything more than OEM.
• Fuel Management E-PROM – chips are a waste of money, now if the whole ECU is remapped…which I doubt since the car is from 1994.
• 1st Gear Valve Body – if it’s their 400E valve body converted, waste of money unless it’s E420 VB.
• ASR Traction Control Defeat Switch – ok, but not at the price RENNtech charges, rip-off.
• SS Rear Muffler & Exhaust – if the exhaust is just parts off the shelf to be connected vs. having the exhaust made for that car, waste of $. No gains and just noise for that type cash is silly.
• Front Swaybar – ok, but why not change rear one as well?
Being that’s a Silver car, the car will sell but I doubt for more than 18K, plus the car was in a snowy area from 2001. :givemebeer:

mistermiata
06-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Hmmmm, lets see, this guy is from Tennessee :bbq: also.....Wonder if he will take a Jeep or small pick-up in trade :lolhit:

2phast
06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
• Fuel Management E-PROM – chips are a waste of money, now if the whole ECU is remapped…which I doubt since the car is from 1994.
• 1st Gear Valve Body – if it’s their 400E valve body converted, waste of money unless it’s E420 VB.
• Front Swaybar – ok, but why not change rear one as well?

The Eprom is how you remap the ECU, no other way to do it. But agree, worth maybe $60 to eliminate top speed limiter, cold start upshift delay and increase redline. No additional hp to be gained

Valvebody is a good idea for FGS, but agree buying a 400e/E420 valve body much cheaper than Renntech.

Don't think there is a upgraded rear bar available.

gerryvz
06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Obviously the original owner of the car brought it to RENNtech back in the 1990s and said "give me the Full Monty treatment" and that's what they did. All of these things were very likely unproven at that time, and people took RENNtech's "testing" at face value based on their reputation. I think that taken together the mods are probably worth a few HP and make the car a bit more responsive. They may not be worth much value these days but all other things being equal, I think your average E500E enthusiast would probably find them of incremental additional value than a stock car, unless a bone-stock car was exclusively what was desired.

Cheers,
Gerry

samiam44
06-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Looks like a nice car.

I'd say the "full Monty" would have been 80-100k, not 7.6k. Sounds like he got the minimum done at Renntech. Probably shipped them the valvebody, and computer. I've heard lots of bashing about their VB's- but my fully built Renntech trans is AWESOME. V12 clutch packs and I'm guessing higher line pressure,plus a tighter torque convertor. It shifts firm and very quick.

The full Renntech exhaust was SS headers all the way back- $10k new. At 80kmi- I only think of how many things are in need of attention soon. He's probably asking what he paid for the car. =0)

Michael

gerryvz
06-14-2011, 09:59 AM
OK, fair enough but what I mean was Full Monty of cosmetic mods, not everything in their entire catalog.

Jimbo
06-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Why would one want to delete the upshift delay? It's there for a reason.

FGS? You're only in first gear for what...a few seconds in these cars? The thing with RennTECH stuff...if it costs them $50 to make it; they'll charge you $500. Nice stuff but...

It does look like a nice car, no denying it...perhaps if it does sell for close to that 25K then there's hope on the horizon for cars in nice shape (?)

gerryvz
06-14-2011, 02:55 PM
It does look like a nice car, no denying it...perhaps if it does sell for close to that 25K then there's hope on the horizon for cars in nice shape (?)There are two cars here in TX with lower miles, in as good or better shape (no RENNtech mods), that are priced less and which have sat on the market for months.

This seller is optimistic in the current economic environment and 036 market.

That said, I have no doubt that the market will go up long-term for these cars. It's only just demonstrably turned upward for the 560SLs (last made in 1989) in the last two years or so. We're still ahead of the bottom on the 036, but there is no doubt that it's coming in the future.

Cheers,
Gerry

J-Sauce
06-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Why would one want to delete the upshift delay? It's there for a reason.

I thought the only reason it is there was to help heat the cat (mainly) and engine faster. Purely for smog reasons. I personally find it a bit annoying, and possibly harmful to the tranny, when my engine is at operating temperature and I happen to be in the mood to give full throttle, and the upshift delay has me bouncing of redline in 'D' instead of simply shifting up.

gsxr
06-15-2011, 11:08 AM
+1 with Justin. The cold upshift delay really annoying on a car with FGS. Not an issue on cars with SGS.

However, when at operating temp, it shouldn't interfere... if your car isn't upshifting at WOT when warmed up, Justin, something else is wrong.

:detective:

PDX500E
06-15-2011, 11:17 AM
I need a little education, what is FGS, SGS, WOT???
Lane

gerryvz
06-15-2011, 11:35 AM
I agree, upshift delay only works for the first minute or two on a cold car, max the first 3-4 shifts from a stop sign. If someone is starting up their car cold, flooring it to redline right away and the upshift delay is getting in the way of this, then they are seriously misguided as to how to properly treat their engine. You DON'T redline a car with a cold engine/oil.

I can't recall my FGS interfering with my upshift delay, or vice versa. But I usually don't switch my FGS on until the car is warm, or in a situation where I really need it. For everyday driving, I usually have my FGS OFF.

Cheers,
Gerry

P.S. I don't find smog pumps annoying either, they are there (strategically speaking) for the same reason that the upshift delay is there - lowering cold-start emissions. Again, don't understand why they would be annoying. They go into use when you start up the car for a couple of minutes, then switch off and they are effectively transparent until the next cold start. I actually tested my 560SEC (after last weekend's alternator belt breakage debacle, when I had to remove the smog pump belt to replace the alternator belt) on a couple of cold starts with the smog pump not belted, to see if it would trigger the CEL :cel:. It did not do this, but I still re-connected the smog pump belt because it's the right thing to do to make the car run as designed.

gsxr
06-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Lane,

FGS = First Gear Start (aftermarket mod on any E500E)
SGS = Second Gear Start (factory setup on all E500E)
WOT = Wide Open Throttle

The smog pump is usually no problem as it doesn't interfere with driver control, i.e. shift points. It just adds some clutter to the engine compartment, but it's too much of a PITA (and $$$) to eliminate. The cold upshift delay (to heat cats) may not bother some people with FGS, but I find it irritating, and it's easy enough to delete with a simple golf tee stuck in a vacuum hose. Problem solved.

:grouphug:

szvook
06-15-2011, 04:30 PM
The Eprom is how you remap the ECU, no other way to do it. But agree, worth maybe $60 to eliminate top speed limiter, cold start upshift delay and increase redline. No additional hp to be gained.
I never looked at chips as options to remap but rather as management tools, which never tap into any possible gains. I was referring to true remaps for all modules by means of software programs…think Brabus. A true remap can tap into a few extra gains, but one has to have the right software and not all cars can get this done across all modules. So far only the 1992 cars work, since for example, the closed-loop models can’t benefit from the A/F ratio tweaks.

szvook
06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I think your average E500E enthusiast would probably find them of incremental additional value than a stock car, unless a bone-stock car was exclusively what was desired.
Very true.

Jimbo
06-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Upshift delay really only works for about 10-15 seconds (on my cars) ...MB made it for a reason; there are no performance benefits to removing it IMO.

If you can't wait until the cats are warmed up to hammer on your cold engine then....reap the rewards on that one. LOL.

gsxr
06-20-2011, 09:39 AM
100% correct - there are no performance benefits to removing the upshift delay.

However, the idea isn't to hammer on a cold engine. It's the opposite... I do not want to spin my cold engine up to 3000rpm for 10-20 seconds at 20mph in my neighborhood, nor do I want to poke along at 10mph (to keep the revs down). I want to keep the RPM's low until it's warmed up, while still being able to go 20mph. The sole purpose of this annoyance is emissions, and there is no downside to disabling the annoyance, AFAIK.

Again, this only affects cars with FGS.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2011/06/1.gif

DerFuror
06-20-2011, 09:58 PM
If you can't wait until the cats are warmed up to hammer on your cold engine then....reap the rewards on that one. LOL.
A LOT of members have been writing a LOT about their rewards lately. :cel2:

Keep up the impatience! The automotive economy is depending on you & finds you very rewarding! :stormy: