PDA

View Full Version : FS: 1993 500E, Gray/Gray, 60kmi, $18k, located in in SoCal

gsxr
07-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Rare Anthracite Gray (paint code 172). Appears to have Remus muffler based on the photos. Funky spoiler on the trunk lid, some aftermarket head unit that looks out of place (IMO). Wrong lug bolts used on stock wheels, that's odd. Appears to be mostly stock otherwise and in decent shape.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... =302674194 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=302674194)

http://www.platinumautohaus.com/web/220 ... -Benz-500E (http://www.platinumautohaus.com/web/2206/vehicle/1565371/1993-Mercedes-Benz-500E)

VIN: WDBEA36E0PB837433

Platinum Autohaus
610 North Pacific Coast Highway
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
1-866-558-5376

sheward
07-03-2011, 01:58 PM
I really like this color. I think it would look even better with the cream/beige interior.

Could be a nice buy.

drew

bing
07-03-2011, 03:06 PM
nice low mileage and color combo. rear seems a bit tad high?

JordiC
07-03-2011, 05:57 PM
The Sony head unit needs to get yanked and tossed together with the spoiler. The rear height is definitely too high. Fairly low mileage and clean though.

gsxr
07-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Good catch - yes, the rear end is way too high. The SLS valve is either misadjusted or defective. Otherwise, it looks decent, excepting the couple items previously mentioned...

:hornets:

RicardoD
09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
No affiliation. This one looks nice, not my favorite color combo, but looks all original, expect for the rear spoiler which is killing me. Are those things screwed into the rear deck lid?

VIN: WDBEA36E0PB837433

http://www.platinumautohaus.com/web/2206/vehicle/1565371/1993-Mercedes-Benz-500E

(http://www.platinumautohaus.com/web/2206/vehicle/1565371/1993-Mercedes-Benz-500E)
PLATINUM AUTO HAUS IS PROUD TO PRESENT THIS

1993 MERCEDES BENZ E500

The 500 E was created in close cooperation with Porsche; each 500 E was hand-built by Porsche, being transported back and forth between the Mercedes plant and Porsche's Rossle-Bau plant in Zuffenhausen, Germany during assembly �" taking a full 18 days to complete each model.

With its aggressive stance: 1.5 inches wider track, 0.9 inch lower profile, flared fenders, side skirts, front air-dam and wide tires, the 500 E is easily distinguished from its lesser brethren. Because of its look, limited numbers, hand-built construction, and unique pedigree, the 500 E is already considered a "classic", even within Mercedes-Benz.

RicardoD
09-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I love it how the board fairy takes care of all my mistakes. Thanks for the VIN search tip to check that I am not reposting existing vehicles as this is my new hobby now to search for these things. :-D Its a good way to get it out of my system and see over time if the car will make sense for me. My 72 Mercedes is up for auction on Ebay now and hopefully it hits the reserve and then some.

gsxr
09-07-2011, 03:55 PM
This one looks nice, not my favorite color combo, but looks all original, expect for the rear spoiler which is killing me. Are those things screwed into the rear deck lid?
Anthracite Gray paint is very rare... I like it better than pearl black myself. :) Looks like they still haven't fixed the SLS, the rear end it still all jacked up.

The rear spoilers are often attached via screws on the sides, so expect some holes in the trunk lid. My E500 came with a similar spoiler, and although I'm not crazy about it, I can't easily remove it.

:apl:

akuatika
09-07-2011, 07:15 PM
FYI
They had this car advertise about 3 weeks ago for $16,000.00 i called the dealer and told me that is was a mistake, two days later they increase the price. I asked about the rear looked to high, they said it was to factory specifications,

Pedro

gsxr
09-07-2011, 08:03 PM
They had this car advertise about 3 weeks ago for $16,000.00 i called the dealer and told me that is was a mistake, two days later they increase the price. I asked about the rear looked to high, they said it was to factory specifications.
Pedro, the rear ride height is most definitely NOT to factory specifications. They are just to arrogant to admit the car may need an adjustment. An experienced tech could have likely it fixed in less than 1 hour. $16k would be a nicer deal, although $18k isn't bad if (IF!) the car has zero issues.

:bartman:

akuatika
09-08-2011, 11:51 AM
FYI,

Made me hesitate, the rear end too high, but i belive there is discrepancy issue with the milege as well....!!!! ,they explained it as a clerical error???

Pedro

akuatika
09-08-2011, 11:53 AM
FYI,
Rear end+Price Change+Milege Discrepancy = FISHY

gsxr
09-08-2011, 12:10 PM
SLS adjustment is not a big deal, but a mileage discrepancy is definitely a big deal! I'd run a CarFax or AutoCheck report.

Gerry, do you have any prior records of this car?

:detective:

akuatika
09-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Price Change,

$16,888.00

h228
09-18-2011, 12:25 AM
I might be able to look this car over Tuesday afternoon (9/20/11). I love the anthracite, but can't say I care much for the interior color. For some reason, grey leather always looks a bit dirty to me, even if it isn't.

Jimbo
09-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Nice car...even with some issues that it surely has it's a nice one. Normally gray interiors are 'meh' but with the paint it works well on this one. Jim L. in VA had one in this color with a black interior that I saw alot of years back....def a nice paint/color combo that you don't see everyday.

Why detail the car, put it on a lazy susan in the showroom and have it advertsied with a crooked headlamp wiper? VERY distracting from the overall apparent nice-ness of it. Of course the high rear-end issue needs to be addressed first)

I think it's priced right...I'm sure something around 15K would buy it.

gerryvz
09-19-2011, 09:14 AM
I agree with Jim that the exterior/interior color combo is one of the only ones where gray leather (normally not my favorite) works extremely well.

h228
09-21-2011, 06:32 PM
I did visit the car yesterday, and spent an hour looking it over and talking to the dealer. I would sum this car up as a solid example and a potentially good buy. Unfortunately, there are so many cosmetic issues inside and out that the price would need to come down substantially to justify $17k. None of the problems are hard to fix, just lots of little things that add up to quite a bit of work and/or money. However, given the low miles and rare/pretty color, I could see myself putting in the effort if I were looking to buy right now, and assuming I could pick it up for the right price.

I took notes, so I'll give a detailed report a bit later when I have a chance. I even got some early and recent service history for Gerry's database. :)

I agree with Jim that the exterior/interior color combo is one of the only ones where gray leather (normally not my favorite) works extremely well.

I agree too. IMO, the grey leather looks better w/anthracite than any other exterior color, and after seeing the anthracite up close for the first time in a long while, I really liked it. This is coming from someone who only drives black cars!

akuatika
09-24-2011, 07:12 PM
http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/img/cfx_logo25h.gif Detailed History

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/

Date:Mileage:Source:Comments:

07/02/1993

California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Registered as personal lease vehicle

08/25/1994

California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Title issued or updated

01/29/1996
Idaho
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Calabasas, CA
Odometer reading reported

02/07/1996

Idaho
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Calabasas, CA
Title #96303326
Title issued or updated

12/16/1996
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
INCONSISTENT ODOMETER READING

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2011/09/1.gif
http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/img/xpert-details-infer-record-topper.gif

It's tough to tell whether this is a sign of an odometer rollback or just a clerical error. Your best move is to get a mechanic or the seller to confirm the mileage.

12/17/1996

California
Inspection Station
Palmdale, CA
Passed emissions inspection

01/21/1997

California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Title issued or updated
Loan or lien reported

04/07/1998
Service Facility
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
Emissions inspection completed

03/05/1999
California
Inspection Station
Los Angeles, CA

10/04/1999

Service Facility
Recommended maintenance performed
Washed/detailed
Drive belts replaced
Battery/charging system checked
Radiator cap replaced
Cooling system checked
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
Battery replaced
Dash light bulbs replaced

01/03/2000
California
Inspection Station
Manhattan Beach, CA

01/07/2000

California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Beverly Hills, CA
Title issued or updated
New owner reported

05/01/2000
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Inglewood, CA

05/12/2000

California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Inglewood, CA
Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported

11/02/2005
Texas
Inspection Station
Austin, TX
Passed emissions or safety inspection

11/09/2005

Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Austin, TX
Title #22711038656113423
Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported

02/16/2007
Texas
Inspection Station
Austin, TX
Passed safety inspection

02/19/2008
Texas
Inspection Station
Austin, TX

07/22/2008

Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Austin, TX
Title #22711039638133727
Title issued or updated
New owner reported

11/01/2008

Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Austin, TX
Title #22711039638133727
Title or registration issued
Passed safety inspection

06/07/2009
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Manhattan Beach, CA

07/16/2009
California
Inspection Station
Inglewood, CA

09/04/2009

California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Manhattan Beach, CA
Title issued or updated
New owner reported

04/18/2011
California
Inspection Station
Lomita, CA

07/02/2011
Dealer Inventory
Redondo Beach, CA
Vehicle offered for sale

07/26/2011
Mercedes-Benz of South Bay
Torrance, CA
310-534-3333
www.sbbenz.com
Engine checked
Battery/charging system checked
Brakes checked
Tire condition and pressure checked
Maintenance inspection completed

07/29/2011
California
Inspection Station
Lawndale, CA

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2011/09/2.gif

http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/img/xpert_long_top.gif
I'm here to help! Print and bring my SmartBuyer Checklist (http://www.carfax.com/smartbuyer/checklist.cfx?vin=WDBEA36E0PB837433&language=EN&permutationCode=ATD_ICR&locGid=57185&cfxId=&partnerCode=ATD&inventoryId=0&key=pAqoO38UPhd80NsBjGDSz-NbGWiIOEz6I37cGbK0Ay8&webDomain=http://www.carfax.com/)when you go to test drive this 1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E.

http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/img/printicon.gif Print this CARFAX Report and take it to your pre-purchase inspection (javascript:window.print();)

Tell us what you know about this vehicle (http://www.carfax.com/notes/vehicle_ratings.cfx?vin=WDBEA36E0PB837433&email=&consumerID=&partnerCode=ATD&permutationName=ATD_ICR&lid=CRAC&lpos=second)

I would like honest opinion regarding about INCONSISTENT ODOMETER READING.

Thank You
Pedro

gsxr
09-25-2011, 08:48 AM
I would like honest opinion regarding about INCONSISTENT ODOMETER READING.
I'd say the mileage discrepancy is probably small (few kmi) and in only 11 months... not a big deal, likely a clerical error, as CarFox stated. My guess: The Dec-1996 record was probably supposed to be 19,395.

akuatika
09-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I'd say the mileage discrepancy is probably small (few kmi) and in only 11 months... not a big deal, likely a clerical error, as CarFox stated. My guess: The Dec-1996 record was probably supposed to be 19,395.

Thank You, Dave

gerryvz
09-25-2011, 10:12 AM
I agree - it's a small error and given the time frame, most likely clerical. In any case, it was so early in the car's life that it doesn't warrant too much suspicion.

h228
09-29-2011, 06:05 PM
My notes included with this post are mostly about the car's defects. However, I want to reiterate that I think the car is fundamentally solid. I did not drive it, but it started and ran fine, and the service records available indicated that the early and most recent owners had proper maintenance performed. Also, I noticed no swirl marks on the paint. Despite the flaws noted below, the clearcoat did possess the luster exhibited in the dealer's photos. If a buyer willing to resolve the cosmetic problems properly could purchase it for the right price, he'd end up with a great, low(er) mile 500E in an attractive, rare color. That being stated, here are my notes:

Interior:

- Dealer replaced headliner w/ cheap cloth headliner - sunroof has original material.
- Front armrest needs to be replaced. Leather worn out on forward seams.
- Front passenger window and rear headrest release were dead.
- The stereo in the photos was powered by an aftermarket amp and connected to all the speakers, including the "active bass" speakers in the front doors. However, I forgot to check behind the trunk liner to see if the Becker components had been removed.
- Rear driver's side reading light was out.
- Small gouge on vinyl of driver's map pocket.
- Passenger's side map pocket vinyl is partially unfurled (true of just about every W124 I've seen, to be fair).
- The dial for the headlamp switch turns, but it is not fastened to the post so that it can be pulled to activate the fog lamps (however, I did pull the switch; fog lamps do work).
- The rear panel of the driver's backrest has worn spots where the elastic edge of the pocket meets the backrest.
- New, correct MBZ floor mats bought 06/11. Mats were still in factory wrapping when I saw them.

Exterior:

- Plastic mirror boots need replacement (cracked/chunks missing).
- 2-3 dings on each front door, and > 4 on the rear doors.
- 2 chips (galvanized metal exposed) on the right side of the hood 6-8 in above the right headlamp.
- Headlight lenses need to be replaced (although I'd replace the lamps w/Euro fixtures anyway).
- The trim panels on the front fenders are loose.
- 1 dimple left front fender. Toward the rear of this arch, the clearcoat was a bit oxidized. This was the only such spot I noticed. The rest of the paint still had its luster, as noted above. Also, above the small piece of trim panel at this fender, there was a decent size scrape.
- 2 dimples left rear fender.
- 2 dimples right rear fender.
- The wing is fastened by 2 screws at each end; paint is chipping/flaking away around the perimeter of the mounting points.
- It looked to me as if the rear bumper got bumped on the right side. There is a gap between the bumper and the body, and a bubble on the corner of the bumper (see pics).

Mechanical:

The car started and warmed up fine. I heard no strange rattles or other sounds. Comically, the car ran out of gas while I was talking to the dealer. His bewilderment amused me for a bit. Nevertheless, the car ran fine once he refueled it. Of course, without knowing how empty the tank was, I suppose it could have a weak pump. Are those pumps ever known to wear out early?
- The check engine light was on.
- The "bulb out" light was also on. However, all lamps worked.
- The only leak I saw was power steering fluid.
- Passenger side rear view mirror does not fully articulate (the adjustment knob is also detached it was just sitting on top of the joystick).
- The engine compartment was clean.
- The exhaust tips were Remus.
- Tires were new Fuzion ZR1s. The rims were in excellent condition. No brake dust oxidation or curb rash.
- The spare was the original spare and had never been used (note: of all the tools, only the jack was present).

I also got some maintenance history:

It was sold originally by Mission Imports in Laguna Niguel, CA to an owner in San Clemente. June 10, 1993
- Serviced at Mission Imports for first 15k miles.
- Thereafter, servicing occurred in Los Angeles area at dealers in Calabasas, Santa Monica, and Beverly Hills. Last dealer stamp was at MBZ of Beverly Hills at 29K mi in September 1999.
- As noted in Carfax, the car moved out of state to TX. There were no service records for the car during this period.
- Silver Star MBZ of Harbor City, CA replaced accumulator/rear chambers & safety neutral switch. Mechanic noted power steering leak and that control relay at gearshift needs replacement (part 126-542-01-32). October 2010.

gsxr
09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Great report - thanks for sharing, h228!

:deniro:

akuatika
10-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Not advertised on Autotrader.com as of today

h228
10-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Great report - thanks for sharing, h228!

:deniro:

You're welcome!

h228
10-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Not advertised on Autotrader.com as of today

The dealer website indicates it's sold.