PDA

View Full Version : Wheel polishing: need direction

illinilee
07-20-2011, 12:01 AM
For those who clean and polish with a dremel tool (or reasonable facsimile)I need some pointers. I have owned one for awhile (gift) but Iíve never really used it. I have a polishing kit, felts heads, brushes and polish compound.

Somewhat related, recently I picked up 2 sets of 18Ē monoblocs. One set chrome and in fair condition, the other is painted and has been recently refinished but incurred a slight bit of rash. The chrome set I'm still trying to figure out what to do with, the painted set, the lip is painted, not polished. How involved is stripping the paint and polish the lip?

TIA.

illinilee

gerryvz
07-20-2011, 08:08 AM
My best advice would be to take the painted wheels into a reputable wheel shop and have them strip and repaint the wheels to make them perfect. It shouldn't cost you more than $100-150 per wheel. That way you can specify what you want done. Be sure to have the paint + lips clear-coated though, for protection and looks.

Cheers,
Gerry

Paul64
07-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Anyone tried these yet? http://www.alloygator.co.uk/ Seem like a great idea and in black, not very noticable.......

Paul

Christian_K
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Wow Gerry, i wans't aware that there are now products available that can apply a clearcoat layer on polished surfaces...
Normally every paint-shop tells you that the surface is tooo smooth for a apllication of clearcoat.

Any chance you could find out what the clearcoat product is called that they've used?