PDA

View Full Version : FS: '93 500E, Silver/Gray, 117kmi, $13.9k, Mankato, MN (eBay)

JordiC
08-14-2011, 10:05 PM
No affiliation.

VIN: WDBEA36E3PB857594

ADMIN UPDATE 11/17/2011:
On AutoTrader for $13,900 (previously asking $19,900 on eBay in August 2011)
AutoTrader link: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=310702682
Current eBay auction (reserve not met) : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/180757359608

Sears Imported Autos, Inc
13500 Wayzata Boulevard
Minnetonka, MN 55305
1-866-605-8765
Dave Tobin

"All of the expensive age susceptible parts have been replaced with factory Mercedes parts. No money was spared on this 500E. No leaks, no mechanical issues, no drive ability issues. The following is a list of recent services and upgrades preformed here in our shop. - Full tune up : Plugs, wires, distributor caps & rotors. - New Throttle Body - Valve cover gaskets - All new crank case venting/breathing hoses - Transmission pan gasket/filter/fluid - Transmission accumulator seal - New power steering pump - New power steering gear - New power steering lines - New self leveling struts - New self leveling accumulators - New engine wire harness - New battery - Ambient temperature display - All new OEM factory burl wood console pieces - New 6 piece factory Active-Bass speaker system - Mercedes in dash CD player w/ NAV capabilities - New headliner - New shelf speaker grills - New mirror covers - Driver window regulator/motor - Refrigerant charge - Mobil 1 5W40 Synthetic Oil & Filter Mileage may be a bit more as it is still being driven for test drives."
Original eBay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Mercedes-Benz-500E-W124-036-500-E-Astral-Silver-/270798402204

gerryvz
08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
First knew about this car in November of 2004, when it was in Phoenix and had 103K miles on it. It popped up again in 2006, in Las Vegas, at 106K miles.

A few comments on the car: "18" AMG monoblock wheels; rear trunk spoiler, aftermarket stereo. UPDATE 4-26-06: Car on eBay again, located in Las Vegas, at 106,253 miles. Says that car has aftermarket Alpine stereo and amps, Lorinser rear spoiler, and 17" AMG wheels, otherwise basically stock. ALso that lower half of car was painted, removing nicks and dings."

Interestingly, this car is reported to have been originally owned by Alex Van Halen (drummer of Van Halen & brother of Eddie)

Cheers,
Gerry

DerFuror
08-15-2011, 09:00 AM
About 2 years ago, there was a dark colored E500E for sale for a top dollar, also claiming to have been previously owned by Alex Van Halen. The description stated it had acquired front end damage which was expensively, professionally repaired...ah, those fun lovin' Rockers & their multiple E500Es.

gsxr
08-15-2011, 09:17 AM
See attached PDF for more info on the black "Van Halen" car. Who knows if either one was actually owned by Alex...

:hornets:

gerryvz
08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I had the Van Halen reference in the "special notes" field of my database for this particular car. I take these references with a grain of salt though, hence my qualifying language. I guess I'm not the only one who takes those things cautiously.

There certainly have been other 036s (such as the Shatner car or the Unser car that Hatch & Sons had for sale) that have been documented as being celebrity-owned and this is not really in doubt.

Cheers,
Gerry

DerFuror
08-15-2011, 07:25 PM
...the black "Van Halen" car. Who knows if either one was actually owned by Alex...

I'd expect any Alex Van Halen car from "back in the day" to be rocked hard & beaten to a battered pulp...unavailable for sale, except by the piece.

These cars look too nice & still are drive-able...therefore the claims are sheer, utter nonsense!:oh__dont_go_there_g:flush:

Anyhoo, I've got previous owner documentation for my 500E, I'd expect any seller making a celebrity claim should especially have their provenance on file & presentable to the prospective buyer.

gerryvz
08-15-2011, 08:47 PM
I did some further querying of my database and it looks like a field got corrupted and assigned to another database (car) recordor something. the Van Halen car is actually this one: WDBEA36E4PB853067 and it has a salvage title. The Van Halen car is indeed pearl black over black leather. Sorry for the false alarm, I've removed the offending record from the database where it pertained to the silver car above. The attachments that I posted above for the silver car, of course, are still relevant.

Thanks
Gerry

Van Halen car record is attached.

gsxr
11-17-2011, 08:41 AM
This car popped up on AutoTrader recently - price reduced to $13,900:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=310702682

Current eBay auction - reserve not met, lots of new photos:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/180757359608

The Lorinser rear wing fits very well, btw... much better than the aftermarket wing on my car. Price is much more reasonable this time. Appears to be a Mercedes dealership selling the car.

New auction description:

1993 Mercedes Benz 500E -118,169 original miles - Silver exterior with grey leather interior. I'll spare you the history lesson, if you're looking at this car I'm sure you know what it is, if you're not sure, see the last paragraph below.

This particular example was traded in here at Sears Imports Mercedes Benz by a long time, local Mercedes Benz Club member (with one other rare, modern Mercedes, an '87 190E 2.3-16, also listed here on eBay) on Saturday, November 12. I took the more than 70 photos below Monday morning, before this car had been washed, cleaned or otherwise touched by anyone at the dealership. This car came in extremely clean, of course a good detailing will make it look even better, I just had to take photos of it and get it up here on eBay.

We do not have every service record for the car, we just don't, but it has been owned by a long time Mercedes enthusiast who has about 8 other cars in his fleet, it has been well cared for.

The body is great... clear coat is perfect all the way around, no peeling or sun wear. NO rust (not even a hint of body rust, bubbles, nothing!), there is no evidence of a repaint or other paintwork on the car. There are no dings, no dents, this car is awesome and original, it's led a pampered life. The interior is in very nice condition, light wear to driver's seat, but not much (clearly photographed below). Interior wood is in perfect condition, not dry, not cracked, the dash is perfect. Everything works... all the electric windows, sunroof, everything. It's a non smoker, no smoke smell or any other weird smells inside (feet, dogs, cats... I smell a lot of use cars and they aren't all good!). There is no First Aid kit on the back shelf, see photo, two holes were cut under the First Aid kit cover, maybe for speakers, I don't know.

This car runs and drives perfectly, the transmission shifts smoothly, no clunking of any kind through the gears or when shifting into reverse. I have extensive experience with Mercedes-Benz cars from the 80s and 90s, I have owned several and worked with many more, this is the best driving one I've ever experienced... not the usual 'clunky' transmission like the old W126 chassis cars or older E classes that are 'all used up' of this vintage.

The suspension is tight yet comfortable. Acceleration is smooth and FAST. It's a great driving car, as nice today, with 118,169 original miles as it was when new. Huge fender flares all the way around, AMG wheels and a Lorinser spoiler, anyone in the know will understand what you've got when you pull up in this 'Young Classic' Mercedes Benz muscle car.

Looking at the Carfax it looks like this car has had 4-5 owners. It started out in Florida, then went to Arizona, from Arizona it went to Nevada, then to Virginia and finally to Minnesota in 2009. Regular service visits appear on the Carfax throughout the long ownership history. No accidents, no stories, clean Carfax vehicle history report.

Remember: Only 1,596 500E models were built in 1993, they boasted 322 Horsepower and a top speed of 161 mph. This was the ultimate 'Wolf in Sheep's Clothing' according to the motoring press of the period. The 500 E was created in close cooperation with Porsche. Each 500 E was hand built by Porsche, being transported back and forth between the Mercedes plant and Porsche's Rossle-Bau plant in Zuffenhausen, Germany during assembly. Each example of the 500 E took a full 18 days to complete.

Give me a call (Dave Tobin, Internet Sales Manager: 952-512-6685) with specific questions or if you'd like to put a deal together over the phone. This car is for sale locally, it is advertised on our dealership website, someone could walk in and buy it at anytime. I handle many 'out of state' deals each month. We have a good system in place whether you want to fly in and pick up your vehicle or if you want to have it shipped. Paperwork is easily handled via Fed Ex.

:apl:

sheward
11-17-2011, 01:45 PM
That wing does fit better than the others I've seen. Although, like you Dave, I'm not a big fan. A proper duck tail is another thing...really like those.

gerryvz
11-17-2011, 02:49 PM
That wing does fit better than the others I've seen. Although, like you Dave, I'm not a big fan. A proper duck tail is another thing...really like those.+1 all the way !

Chemosabi
11-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Hello everyone, newbie here. Very impressed w/ Gerry's posting of previous Ebay/Autotrader advertisements. What an invaluable resource. I am potentially interested in this car. If anyone has any advice, or knowledge of this specific vehicle, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim