PDA

View Full Version : V-Max

Taxi Driver
09-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi I want to know the how and why funktion of the Vmax regulation. I remember something from the days of 500ecstasy
but don't really remember that much, can you tell by looking inside the box or is it a *rechip* affair if so, how?

Thanks for your help, Roger

gsxr
09-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Vmax is limited to approx 155mph (250kph) by the LH module. The fastest / easiest way to eliminate it is to install the infamous "eBay chip", which will also remove the top speed limiter.

From the FSM, job 07.4-0030 (http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20CD/W124/w124CD1/Program/Engine/LHIS/07.4-0030.pdf):

Top speed control:
Top speed is limited to approx 250km/h. If this speed is exceeded, the LH control unit alters the mixture to a leaner mixture and advances the camshafts.

Taxi Driver
09-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Thankyou Dave, so the m119 only govern top speed via the LH box and is not backing the throttle.
Is it also just the speedsignal that governs the LH + the engine rpm?
I guess that e-bay chip is telling the LH a lower than actual roadspeed, righ?
Now I wonder how the tuners back in those days did it, Brabus for example, did they ever
raise the rpm in that way?

Taxi Driver
09-15-2011, 01:57 PM
One more question, reading German ads. e.g Mobile.de you sometimes see, V-max open, is that possible with the oem chip? the LH can not be reprogrammed throug the diagnose plud like the OBD on later models, right? how is it done?

gsxr
09-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi Roger,

I believe there are two ways to eliminate the governor:

1) Install a custom EPROM which removes the programming, such as the eBay chip. You don't program via the OBD, the physical EPROM chip itself is replaced within the LH module - need to open the module up and work on the circuit board. It's a socketed chip which you can carefully pry out, and replace with the custom chip. I don't know of anyone who offers an OEM chip (stock fuel mapping, etc) with only the top speed limiter removed.

2) Install a "vMax" box, which was sold as an accessory 15+ years ago. IIRC, Gerry the VZ met with the creator of this unit and might even have one in his parts stash. I believe it basically modifies the speed signal sent to the LH module, so the module doesn't know how fast the car is actually going; while not affecting the speed signals used by the ABS/ASR module. When new, I think this unit was ~$1000, and they are nearly impossible to locate today. The $60 eBay chip is by far the easiest solution.

I am looking into the possibility of creating custom EPROM chips with the speed limiter (and/or rev limit) set to your desired spec; however I have not yet determined if I can do this. If so, I'll be offering them for sale once I get it tested & confirmed. Probably a few months away at the earliest though. I doubt I'll be able to do this, but I'm gonna try.

:banana2:

Taxi Driver
09-15-2011, 03:11 PM
"I believe it basically modifies the speed signal sent to the LH module, so the module doesn't know how fast the car is actually going;"

What I was thinking, modified speedsignal to LH only, that would be as running the 2.65 diff. or bigger diameter tyres sort of. How good are the ebay chip/fuelmap? as long as you have the 5liter, ok but if you would like the same to the 6liter and don't want to risk that AMG chip, is another question. I have one spare '92 LH beside the AMG E60 '92 and the original one in my '92 500E. Is it possible to extract the data from the E60LH chip and transfer to a blank chip?
Thankyou ones again Dave

gsxr
09-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I've been using the eBay chip for years with no problems. I don't believe it increase power at all, but it does increase the rev limit and eliminate the top speed limiter. You are correct though, this is for the 5.0L only. It is possible to extract the data from the chips and transfer to a blank chip, again, this is something I'm planning to try and do myself in the near future (experimenting with standard 5.0 chips at first).

What 1992 AMG 6.0L LH module do you have, btw? Could you post a photo showing the MB/AMG and Bosch part numbers on the module? I think only the 1994 6.0L module is available now, which lacks WOT enrichment.

:apl:

Christian_K
09-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi, ~4 weeks ago, i was buying a new engine for my 500E. The guy from which bought it is a secret W124 E60AMG, owner... jesus i took me literally an hour to convince him to show me this car - finally he did. There were according to him already over 5 attempts to steal the car, thats why he make such a secret about it. It is also in an excellent condition, i was completely baffled, it ran just perfectly. Power-Development was BRUTAL (my feelings as his co-driver), etc.
To make the long story short, he had a Box installed for V-max Removal and it costs still today according to him ~400€ in Germany. It is till available.

Taxi Driver
09-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi Christian, interesting, do you know if that box is an outside separatly mounted box of tricks fooling the LH
or is it one reprogrammed in this case E60LH box? Do you have any web adress to the maker?

What 1992 AMG 6.0L LH module do you have, btw? Could you post a photo showing the MB/AMG and Bosch part numbers on the module? I think only the 1994 6.0L module is available now, which lacks WOT enrichment.

Dave, I will asap post fotos, was not able to upload right now. The AMG # HWA 124 545 03 32 original# is 014 54518 32
The odd HWA code is due to the fact this E60LH motor was installed in a '92 W140 500SE, is the 014 box from a S class?
My spare LH is the 012 545 62 32, can it be, AMG was using any suitable 5.0l box with the reprogrammed chip and is there any possibility the V max is lifted from it by customers choise? Btw Bosch# 5.0l box is 0 280 002 512, 6.0l box I can't tell as the AMG sticker sits right over the Bosch sticker

gsxr
09-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes, it's an external box, mounted outside / separately - that is the "vMax" unit. However I don't know where you can buy one, I wasn't able to find anything via Google. Christian, if you could get any more info on the unit that is 400€, that would be great.

Roger, yes, I believe AMG just used the original LH that came with the car, and installed their reprogrammed chip. There is definitely a possibility the vMax was removed by AMG if the customer requested it. Difficult to tell without either taking the car up to >250kph though! And yes, the 014-545-18-32 module is from a 92 W140... my 500E came with that module as the original had failed with the "fuel pump relay clicking" problem. I later swapped in a 92 500E module and sold the W140 module, although there was no difference in performance between the two.

:bartman: