PDA

View Full Version : Instrument gauge clear plastic lens / wood trim polishing advice

S500E
12-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I am seeking some advice from fellow 124.036 owners and enthusiasts on my issues with instrument gauge clear plastic lens and wood trims.

Here's my story. Sorry for posting somewhat off topic thread here since the car in question is not my E500 but my other vehicle. I had a noticeable "rock" damage on one of the doors, and unfortunately had to have minor body/paint work done on the door panel. After some research, I brought it to one the reputable shops in the Seattle area for the work. All work completed, and all looks good now (being a very "picky" owner, I can actually still tell after having them do the job twice that it is not exactly the factory finish due to minor imperfections). The body shop detailed the entire exterior very nicely and also did some interior cleaning.

Here are some problems I noticed. Instrument gauge clear plastic lens now have some cloudy, "etched" looking swirl marks now (see circled area on the photo). Also wood trims around the shift knob and above the glove box now have funny "matte"-finish-like surface texture. Wood trims appear shiny and normal, but it definitely feels like a very fine sand paper. Even my wife noticed this. I feel that the detailing guys must have had some chemical on the cloth they used to wipe these areas. Any guess on what it could have been?

I almost always use just damp microfiber cloth to clean all my car's interior unless cleaning chemical agent is absolutely necessary. I have used many exterior detailing agents including Griots and other German/US brands, but not sure what to do about these plastic and wood surfaces. Does anyone have experiences on using Griots plastic polish (photo below)? Will it bring back the same glossy smooth finish on wood trims and erase cloudy spots on the clear lens? I have seen threads here before that there are guys that professionally polish wood trims. Can any detailing shops do this service professionally?

I am also contacting the body shop to see what they can do about these issues I found after picking up the car. I am glad that it wasn't my E500 that I had to go through all this, but I do care all my cars the same way. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

samiam44
12-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I'd guess clouding might be due to some solvent in the polish designed for paint.

If it was mine, the old standby for any poly-carb or clear plastic was meguiars plastic cleaner and plastic polish. Used them on my convertible rear windows and all my airplane buddies use it on their expensive airplane windows. There are a lot of newer products too. Go review the plastic polishes from aircraftspruce.com. Maybe micro-gloss polish,meguiars (#18,#10,#17), novus, etc. I used the blue bottle of meguiars.. I know the differences in the meguiars is the abrasive level of the polish/cleaner.

The meguiars and novus products are ussually locally available from the automotive paint stores.

Michael

S500E
12-13-2011, 11:19 PM
I'd guess clouding might be due to some solvent in the polish designed for paint.

If it was mine, the old standby for any poly-carb or clear plastic was meguiars plastic cleaner and plastic polish. Used them on my convertible rear windows and all my airplane buddies use it on their expensive airplane windows. There are a lot of newer products too. Go review the plastic polishes from aircraftspruce.com. Maybe micro-gloss polish,meguiars (#18,#10,#17), novus, etc. I used the blue bottle of meguiars.. I know the differences in the meguiars is the abrasive level of the polish/cleaner.

The meguiars and novus products are ussually locally available from the automotive paint stores.

Michael

Thank you. I'll try Mequiars #18, #10 for polishing the wood trims.

12-17-2011, 03:13 AM
I used 3M and Display Polish.

MBZ 500E
08-16-2012, 04:09 PM
For maintenance of the wood and plastic surfaces I liked to use Cory's Ultra High Gloss Piano Polish. It cleans, adds some UV protection and some gloss. You can typically find it in a piano shop.