PDA

View Full Version : Headlight problem

500ESpain
02-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Hi, guys

I've been this morning to the anual inspection and I've met the wrong guy. Everything was fine until he tested the high beams. He said that "the "fog lights" shouldn't be on when you turn on the high beams". I tried to explain about the car and the particular set-up and he said "anyway, a high beam light shouldn't work with a fog lens". So they say the lens is incorrect and the setup is also incorrect so I have to get a report from Mercedes that confirms that I'm, running the original setup. So the car has been dangerously illegal for the last 20 years until this guy noticed.

Attached is a picture of the lense I have (below) and one from the one I purchased from Bing. Is my lense correct for the 500 or do I have a standard W124?

I know some of you had similar trouble and that there's a lot of info on this but I can't find the post and I must solve this problem asap.5962

Thanks!

DerFuror
02-10-2012, 07:13 AM
It appears that you have one lens of each style (clear glass & fluted glass).

500ESpain
02-10-2012, 08:08 AM
No, sorry, I haven't explained my self properly, the one below is the type I have in the car with the matching passenger one.

The one above is OFF the car.

My question is if the one below (and the matching passenger side) is a correct 500E lens.

gerryvz
02-10-2012, 08:28 AM
I believe the UPPER lens is the correct one for the E500E. The lower one with the fluting is a regular ("pedestrian") W124 lens.

That's pretty amazing that they noticed - I hear a lot of stories like that coming out of the TüV in Germany as well....I guess it makes me laugh because here in the US nobody would know the difference, and nobody would even bother to check, anyway. Here in Texas as long as the bulb actually illuminates, I don't even think they'd care if there was even any type of glass or other material in front of it !!

When I lived in Oregon, they didn't even check that -- all they cared about was what came out of the tail pipe every two years.

Cheers,
Gerry

DerFuror
02-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Verify the lenses' identity definitively using gsxr's part number reference list (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?1904-HOW-TO-Converting-4-pin-US-Spec-Head-Light-Connector-Wiring-to-6-pin-Euro-Spec&highlight=euro+light) (post #16).

gsxr
02-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Based on the photo... the top lens is correct for the E500 and has an auxiliary high beam for the H3 bulb.

The bottom lens is not correct for the E500E and it has a fog beam pattern for the H3 bulb.

Of course the top one is for a 1994 model and the bottom is for a 1992, you didn't specify what year your 500 is, or if it has a facelift or not. The top lens will work on a 500E (pre-facelift) but it will look funny.

:hiding:

500ESpain
02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks, guys. I was pretty sure the upper one was the correct 1994-95 (I purchased it from Bing). Just wanted to know if the ones I actually have on the car were correct. Anyway, the problem for the guy is that there is a high beam where he expected a fog lamp. He even told me that the car was crashed and some previous owner installed a front bumper from another model.

I've been to the dealer and they gave a copy of the manual where the particular setup of the 500 is specified.

Thanks!

gsxr
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Esteban, can you post a photo of the front of your car? We should be able to tell from a photo if the lenses on the car now are correct or not.

Doesn't the inspection guy realize that the fogs are in the bumper on a separate switch, i.e. pulling out on the knob?

:124:

500ESpain
02-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I have changed the lenses this afternoon to the 94-95 to be sure the lenses won't be a problem. The picture shows the ones I have since I boght the car in 2009. Sorry I don't have a better picture. Anyway, the main problem for the guy was that the fogs weren't in the right place.

Of course I told him that the fogs were in the bumper and tried to explain him a dozen times that it was no regular W124 but that's when he told me that "the car was probably crashed and the previous owner replaced the bumper with another models unit". I would have punched that retarded but you know that in those situations you have to shut up because he has the pen that signs the inspections.

I have some documentation from the dealer and the new lenses. I hope I don't find the same guy on monday.

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. Still don't know how to tell the difference between a 500/non 500 W124 lens :oops: I feel stupid!

gsxr
02-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah, the guy sounds like a real piece of work. Do you have the owner's manual for the car? I'd show him that, as this will validate the location of the fog lights on the E500E model.

Lenses - see image below. The correct E500E lenses are much more clear in front of the H3 bulb. The standard 124 lenses are more opaque. Notice how you can almost see right through the glass on the E500 lens below, where the standard 124 lens is "cloudy" by comparison:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2012/02/11.jpg

bing
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Esteban, Dave is 100% correct! It appears you have standard 124 lens at the moment, mate.

Not Uncommon on some E500E's where the owners don't bother to check part # when they have to replace them. My guess is that some owners just get them second hand from Merc yards. Phew ! I was about to send you a refund then..:lolol:

DerFuror
02-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Esteban, page 91 of MY93 Owner's Manual (North American edition) displays illustrations of the headlamp. Item 10 is the fog lamp bulb for all non-500E W124 cars, but the manual also clearly states the following info for this item:

"500E: Auxiliary high beam headlamp bulb"

Hopefully you have an Owner's Manual for your car (or a copy) that you can show to the inspector.

500ESpain
02-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks, guys. The funny thing is that I don't think the guy cared about the wrong lenses, just that some "wrong" lights turn on when they're not suppsed too.

I have the manual but the dealer gave me copies with their stamp on it so the guy doesn't tell me I got that from the Internet or something stupid like that.

I will let you know what happens on monday.

Have a nice weekend!

philnor
02-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Guys,

this is interesting for me. I have just had a look in the garage at my car lenses. Guess what they are wrong!!!. Standard with opaque fluting. Passed MoT in the UK. I know my car has had repaired accident damage, obviously repaired/replaced with standard lenses. Another item for the ever lengthening list. Car is presently not driveable, again.

Phil in Ibiza

500ESpain
02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I've been at the inspection station again and I showed the info to the guy (a different one, luckily) and he said "yeah, ok". So my car is again roadworthy and not the dangerous killing machine it was on friday.

By the way, I met a guy who was there with his TVR and he told me he also had a 500. I've recommended the board so maybe we'll have a new member here soon.

sheward
02-13-2012, 08:42 PM
So my car is again roadworthy and not the dangerous killing machine it was on friday.

Whew!