PDA

View Full Version : Touch up paint

Ken
04-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Any ideas on where I can get touch paint (aerosol) for my 1993 500E?

Allgonquin
04-21-2012, 10:33 AM
I just bought a can of custom mix code 199 paint from APS Tower Paint. Used it to paint new trim panels for below my new Euro headlights, as I deleted the wipers. Good match. All told it was about $35 to get it to the house, including shipping. But it was good service. http://www.apstowerpaint.com/

Rgds,
Chris

Prime
04-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I have also used tower paint for my 500E and been very pleased. When I got the car the lower front air dam was pretty messed up, and my car's cladding is all color matched to the upper. I sprayed the air dam with paint from Tower and it made the car look 100% better. I recently bought another can to spray the under-headlight panels as I'm doing my euro headlight swap with wiper delete. This time I also got the two stage, super-tough glossy clear coat. Wow. I not only did the under headlight panels but also repainted my worn color-matched grill and the air dam again, then clear coated everything. It looks fantastic, and my hope is that the clear coat will protect these stone chip prone pieces from damage a little longer.

gsxr
04-21-2012, 02:56 PM
FYI... for the headlight wiper panels, after painting, you can apply protective film after approx 30 days or so. I usually let it cure for 30-60 days and then apply the film. I used leftover Lamin-X and it worked fine... keeps them looking new.

You can buy small (150mL / 5oz) cans of factory paint in most colors from the dealer, but I've found the paint to chip easily - it won't last on the front of the car without protective film. Sometimes it makes more sense to have a number of items painted professionally (i.e. wiper panels & both door mirrors) as the body shop stuff tends to be more robust. Even better if you can get Sikkens or Glasurit but those are getting hard to find these days.

:seesaw:

DerFuror
04-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Any ideas on where I can get touch paint (aerosol) for my 1993 500E?

parts.com

This particular 150ml small spraycan cost @ $16.50 USD (pricey as is, but retail is twice this price). :spend:

gsxr
04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Yep, that's the factory stuff. Two-stage (clear coat) paints will include two cans... one color, one clear. They're not particularly robust so it's a good idea to apply protective film over the new paint after it's dried for 30+ days.

:strawberry:

jano
04-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Huh - that's cheaper than getting the paint mixed locally at a paint shop! They charged me $25. I guess shipping would bring them more in line.

gsxr
04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Keep in mind that the factory cans are 150mL (5oz?), while the aftermarket cans from Tower Paint may be 2x-3x as large... more for your $$$. Shipping will factor in there too of course. $25 for a large can locally ain't bad...

:spend:

DerFuror
04-25-2012, 10:51 PM
I just bought a can of custom mix code 199 paint from APS Tower Paint. Used it to paint new trim panels for below my new Euro headlights, as I deleted the wipers. Good match. All told it was about $35 to get it to the house, including shipping. But it was good service.

:scratchchin:I checked out their website & like APS Tower's SprayMax 2K Aerosol (http://www.apstowerpaint.com/faqs.php) can's smart feature of self contained hardener. Hardener will make a tremendous difference in the durability of the front end's (wiper panel, bumper) paint finish...then further protected with Lamin-X film for even more longevity...roadblast be damned!

Just need to line up all the items requiring painting because once the hardener is activated there's no going back to sitting on the shelf until the next time.

Hardener was used in the white roof paint on my W111 decades ago. It still shines like new.

:progress:I'm still mulling over whether to send my wiper panels & bumper to the paint shop, or just DIY paint the panels this time around & get driving...undecided. I'm right at the point to go either direction.

Prime
04-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Yes - the SprayMax 2K is what I used to topcoat my recent project, which included the air dam, under headlight panels, and color-matched grill surround. The gloss matches the rest of the car very well, and should hold up well. As Derf says though - you have to have everything prepared when you pop that can because once you mix it, you have a very limited time in which to use it all or toss it in the trash. Between the color and the topcoat, I paid around $50 - $55 shipped. As I recall that breaks down to about $15 for the color and $25 for the clear, plus $10 shipping.