PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaner that really works great !

gerryvz
05-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Recently on a Griot's Garage order, I tacked on a 35-oz bottle of their new Heavy-Duty Wheel Cleaner. I was sort of skeptical because their green "Wheel Cleaner" works fine for wheels that are not that dirty (brake dust, etc.) but really doesn't work that well for wheels that are crusted with brake dust.

I finally tried it tonight and -- wow, I am really blown away by this product. It's not often that I am this impressed with how well a product works.

Basically you wet your wheel down, spray it on, let it sit for about 5 minutes, scrub it with a wheel brush or other wheel cleaning implement, and then rinse. I did it two times for good measure. Wow, what a difference !! I ended up doing it on my wife's E320 wagon as well as my 560SEC and it worked stunningly. Cleanest I've ever seen the wheels before.

When the wheel cleaner works, it turns sort of a purplish/wine color as it sets to work and runs down onto the ground. That way you know that it's working. Of course the more brake dust, the heavier the concentration of the purplish liquid. Front wheels are always dirtier than the rears.

Bottom line is that I'm REALLY glad I got this product as I've now found a new and almost effortless way to get the wheels sparking clean. Here is a link to the product and also a video on their site.

Cheers,
Gerry

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/wheels+%26+tires/wheel+tire+cleaners/heavy-duty+wheel+cleaner+35+ounces.do

http://www.inmygarage.com/?p=3716

dcadS7e6sxw

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/GriotsGarage/11026_FAM?$detail$

2phast
05-06-2012, 11:56 PM
I have never used any wheel specific type of cleaner, just never seen the need for a dedicated product.

When I wash my car, I use the same soap on the wheels as is used on the body. Of course I have a seperate microfiber mitt just for the wheels.

For wheel touch ups, I use Griots Spray On Car Wash (or the Quick detailer) and I have dedicated microfiber towels just for this purpose.

Good to hear though that their wheel cleaner is good.

05-07-2012, 02:09 AM
If brakes are original you dont need anything but warm water once a week :)

gerryvz
05-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I have never used any wheel specific type of cleaner, just never seen the need for a dedicated product.

When I wash my car, I use the same soap on the wheels as is used on the body. Of course I have a seperate microfiber mitt just for the wheels.

For wheel touch ups, I use Griots Spray On Car Wash (or the Quick detailer) and I have dedicated microfiber towels just for this purpose.

Good to hear though that their wheel cleaner is good.Sometimes it's nice to have something with a little more cleaning power than just car wash soap and hot water. I am the first to admit that I am lazy about keeping my wheels clean, so I often let a lot of brake dust build up on them. Furthermore, it's a pain for my AMG and Lorinser wheels to get the areas inside of the "script" (logos) super clean. This wheel cleaner is pH balanced (won't harm clear coat and paint) and really cuts through the crud, particularly when you let it sit and then agitate it with a brush or mitt with some water.

I have a lot of the green stuff and I'll use it for "touch-ups" (like you use the Speed Shine/Spray-On Wax) but once it's gone I'm going to exclusively for this new Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner.

Cheers,
Gerry

szvook
05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
No true wheel cleaners for me, although Mothers has a cleaning product for HRE wheels which requires a gentle approach for painted wheels and other coatings - rinse it off before the product dries on the wheel. I just use soap (same soap for car and wheels – Eagle One) and elbow grease and although it takes me longer to wash/polish just the wheels compared to the car, I use it as car therapy, turn up the beats and take my time with each wheel. I also use compressed air to dry off my wheels to minimize contact.

My first line of defense for cleaner wheels (especially with polished aluminum barrels, the centers are brushed aluminum and clear-coated) was to switch to ceramic brake pads which made a huge difference. Once I got the larger Silver Arrow brakes, the brake dust was even less due to the calipers sitting further away from the center and generating less heat.

I only use sponges to wash my wheels with lots of soap and rinse frequently in-between. Polishing the barrels is the only time where I use a wheel cleaning product and I do use Mothers aluminum polish cause I get it free.