PDA

View Full Version : Turn signals won't flash

Prime
06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Got in the car this morning and the turn signals do not flash. They come on solid and stay that way. No idiot light for a lamp being out, and it's both sides. Do these cars have a plug in "flasher" like the American cars I grew up with?

gerryvz
06-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Actually, I believe the "multipurpose" relay in the relay box (behind the fuse box) controls the blinking (as well as emergency flashers among other items). It's pretty common for these to go out on the W124s.

Part number is: 201 821 02 47

sometimes you see them as 201 821 00 47

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2012/06/46.jpg

Get the factory MB relay (OEM: Hella) -- DON'T get the Kaehler (KAE) aftermarket relays.

Cheers,
Gerry

gerryvz
06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
I replaced this very relay quite a number of years ago on my E500 (because of an erratic turn signal blinking function) and it solved the problem. I still have the faulty relay, too.

Another culprit would be the lever itself, somehow not making contact. But I don't believe this is the problem in this case. I believe it is the multipurpose relay.

Also, check your bulbs to make sure that the turn signal bulbs are working (including the dual-filament bulbs).

Cheers,
Gerry

gsxr
06-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Hrmmm. Based on the ETM (printed page 127), the flasher portion of the circuit is indeed in the N10 relay, but the "audible" portion of the flasher resides on the F/O/T gauge pod in the instrument cluster. I had to replace the gauge on one of my cars a few years ago and thought it was for a non-flash issue, but it must have been for a no-click instead. My bad!

I'd still check fuse #6 and #9 before going further.

:wormhole:

(Previous posts with incorrect info from ID10T admin removed to prevent future confusion.)

Prime
06-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Well, it seems to have healed itself - at least for now. After being consistently non-functional all the way to work, it was perfect on the way home and everywhere else I went throughout the day. Knock wood.

500AMM
06-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Well, it seems to have healed itself - at least for now. After being consistently non-functional all the way to work, it was perfect on the way home and everywhere else I went throughout the day. Knock wood.

Hi Prime.

More or less the same issue as I had on mine, the malfunction come and goes, very annoying. I changed the multiswitch first (280 USD here in Morepay), but ended up on that relay discussed earlier in this thread. The blessing self healing you've got is temporary, sorry.

gerryvz
06-13-2012, 09:16 AM
These relays are relatively easy to find in wrecking yards and the like. I even have an extra or two.

If you PM me your mailing address, I'm heading to the post office tonight and could throw one in the mail to you, at no charge to you for part or postage.

Cheers,
Gerry

Prime
06-13-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm curious - does this same relay have anything to do with the brake lights? A couple of weeks ago a guy behind me at a stoplight jumped out of his car to tell me that none of my brake lights worked. I thought, that's odd. Checked them when I got where I was going and many times since and they've been perfectly fine. Either the guy was blind or something is really funky. Same intermittent relay, maybe?

Very generous of you Gerry! PM sent.

gerryvz
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
No, this relay doesn't have anything to do with the brake lights. Those are controlled by a circuit of their own, along with the switch at the brake pedal.

500AMM
06-14-2012, 04:06 AM
I'm curious - does this same relay have anything to do with the brake lights? A couple of weeks ago a guy behind me at a stoplight jumped out of his car to tell me that none of my brake lights worked. I thought, that's odd. Checked them when I got where I was going and many times since and they've been perfectly fine. Either the guy was blind or something is really funky. Same intermittent relay, maybe?

Very generous of you Gerry! PM sent.

Prime,

First - I'm sorry for spelling your name incorrect in my previous post (..Primer..) corrected now.

The missing functions I experienced was; turn signals both sides, hazard flasher, wiper interval, rear window heater. I never confirmed whether all these functions are controlled by this relay or not, but they all failed simultaneously, and they all cured after changing that relay.

Cheers

gerryvz
06-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Arnt,

You are correct that all of those functions (except for the rear window heater, which I don't know for sure until I look it up) are controlled by that relay.

Prime,

Your OE MB 00 47 relay is in the US Priority Mail to you now. I would expect you'd receive it on Saturday, or Monday at the latest. It's a 5-minute job to replace the relay. Hopefully the one I sent you works OK. They are fixable if you like to solder :)

Otherwise, if the one I sent you doesn't work for some reason, I'd just order a new one through parts.com

Cheers,
Gerry

gerryvz
06-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Prime,

Here's your relay as I packed it last night at the post office.

Cheers,
Gerry

Prime
06-15-2012, 07:47 AM
A million thanks Gerry! I'll let you know how it works out.

Kenetic
07-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Does anyone happen to know the difference between the two parts:
201 821 02 47
201 821 00 47

There seems to be a price difference and I've also read that one of them has an additional pin compared to the other. Are they really 100% interchangeable for a 1992 500E?

Thanks in advance!