PDA

View Full Version : I THOUGHT I WAS DONE

TerryA
07-20-2012, 07:41 PM
On the way home from Palm Springs yesterday. I was cruising along about 80 mph when a piece of cardboard from what looked like the side of a box to cover a refrigerator flew up in front of me.
It was standing straight up and pretty much flat. It hit my right side of my front end with a really loud thud. About a 1/2 mile down the road there was some idiot in a pickup on the shoulder tying down his load (Hmm:: I wonder????)
I did not stop and survey the damage until I got home but was imagining all sorts of stuff. Front spoiler damaged? e-Code busted? Driving light busted?

Turns out all I had was a really big scuff mark that looked like it went thru the clearcoat. No structural damage at all.

Check it out BEFORE.

TerryA
07-20-2012, 07:47 PM
AFTER about 10 minutes with some Meguire's scratch remover all was OK. What a relief. When I first saw the hood all I could see was a re-paint.

Thank God for all of the paint Mercedes applies to our cars.

I hope you guys can forgive the layer of dust on the paint I should have removed it but I was in a hurry. I just ran out at lunch and took the picture. The layer of dust that had accumulated from about 4 hrs parking in a Torrance, CA industrial area.

szvook
07-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Nice save!

Hi-Power
07-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident, but glad to know you were able to solve your cosmetic problem on your own. :)

Christian_K
07-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Very nice that the polish worked that good.
You can bet your ass, with modern super-thin eco-friendly paints, the cardboard would scuffed straight through the clear, the base and maybe even the primer.

07-21-2012, 01:24 PM
woohoo!, You got to love a happy inexpensive ending :)

TerryA
07-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks Guys,

I was really stressed out while driving home. I parked the car and didn't go out and look at it for about 3 hours. I was really amazed that the marks came out that easy.

Sorry for the late response but my computer access is limited.

Take Care

MBZ 500E
08-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Great outcome!

Have you considered installing a clear bra on the car?

TerryA
08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Afshin,

Long time since I have seen you on the boards. Nice to see you pop in once and a while. You must still want a E500E. I'll bet you miss that great 500E you sold.

I hope you remember me I at least made you an offer on your car. I came out to your house in Temecula in my RED 107 500SL.
You popped up on my Linkedin account also along with Canolie.

I do have Clear Bra on the lower fascia above and below the impact strip and on the wiper delete panels.
All of this was removed from the car and disassembled and professionally painted before the ClearBra installation.
I also have 20 mil Laminex on the headlights and 40 mil Laminex on the driving lights.

I did not put any on the hood because I have not re-painted it and there are some chips on the leading edge. I also would not want a strip just at the front leading edge.
If I had the hood repainted I would consider covering the whole hood but then I would have to do the leading edges of the fenders also. I'm not rich enough for that.

I think I was very lucky with that hit. Since it came off quickly I think there must have been some wax or plastic coating on the cardboard.
Its either that or I have a thinner layer of clear coat now.

Keep in Touch

MBZ 500E
08-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi Terry,

It's been a while! I do remember you and I'm glad you found the right 500E.

I do miss my 500E and I'm debating about adding one to the stable. I've had a few fun cars since then including two 928's and currently a Boxster Spyder. The Spyder I ordered from the factory so it's a keeper and way too much fun to sell. But if I find a nice lower mileage example 500E in Pearl Black, Black or Maroon I might buy one. We'll have to see what comes up for sale. If you see something nice let me know.

omegabenz
08-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Afshin, when you get it come down to DC and we can go for a ride!