PDA

View Full Version : Engine cover detail

Bogeyman
08-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Anyone know what the original finish is on the black engine cover [air cleaner]?
Mine is all black, but I have seen all black with silver star/circle and also with silver/chrome letters plus star/circle in silver/chrome.
Did they change during the production run?

Thanks

2phast
08-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Yes they did. Early cars (92) had a silver star that was removable and the MB lettering was painted silver. Later models had a black star that was not removable and black MB lettering. The boxes themselves are not painted, they are black plastic.

cwmyoung52
08-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Mine was silver block letters "MERCEDES BENZ" on either side and big Star in the middle. The MB lettering had failed/flaked and I scuffed it off. The star is bold and tight. Will probably reshoot/coat the MB this winter for an original look.

2phast
08-16-2012, 09:44 PM
You can use some silver paint to re-do the letters. Of course, hand painting is a PITA

MBZ 500E
08-17-2012, 06:35 AM
When I had my car I had used a hard roller you can buy at a hobby store to paint the letters. If you use a very thin coat on the roller you can paint the raised letters without painting the edges. You need to apply the paint using a brush or spray it on very thin and then transfer it to the raised letters. I believe I posted a how to on the Peach Parts forum in the hot rods area.

gerryvz
08-17-2012, 08:24 AM
I believe some very early model year 1993 cars also had the silver/removable star and silver letters, as well.

2phast
08-17-2012, 11:04 AM
When I had my car I had used a hard roller you can buy at a hobby store to paint the letters. If you use a very thin coat on the roller you can paint the raised letters without painting the edges. You need to apply the paint using a brush or spray it on very thin and then transfer it to the raised letters. I believe I posted a how to on the Peach Parts forum in the hot rods area.

Thats a great idea, wonder what it would look like especially with a hard roller and enamal spray paint?

08-17-2012, 12:20 PM
How did MB originally do the silver lettering ? Almost all 500Es I've seen have flaking silver paint.

2phast
08-17-2012, 01:03 PM
How did MB originally do the silver lettering ? Almost all 500Es I've seen have flaking silver paint.

Mercedes like most car manufactures will use a template/jig. Could be as simple as a piece of plastic with the lettering cut out that fits over the top of the entire airbox. They would then just need to spray the paint over the template/jig, remove it and your done.

I have seen Mercedes use templates/jigs for emblem placement on the fenders/trunk, so its a logical assumption they would use something similar

makemann
07-18-2015, 05:24 PM
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/07/314.jpg
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/07/315.jpg

Does anyone know the correct type of paint and shade of silver to use on the faded MB text? And is there a relatively easy way to paint the letters?

7delta
07-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Not sure about the proper silver.
As far as painting goes...you could meticulously cut masking tape around letters.. but that would be a PITA. Perhaps a trip to a craft store for a small paint brush and carefully paint by hand. Keep some Qtips handy to clean up any mistakes between letters. They may even have a silver paint that matches closely.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Klink
07-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Just throwing this out there for your consideration:

The factory eliminated the paint shortly after your car was made, and from that point on, all the replacements came un-painted as well. I actually prefer them unpainted, but I'm weird like that. Whenever I see them this way, I take an appropriate solvent and a rag, and I just wipe the rest of it off on both sides. Problem solved for me...
:klink:

gerryvz
07-18-2015, 09:40 PM
There were actually three types of engine covers as came from the factory:

1) Removable star painted (or molded) silver and "MERCEDES-BENZ" lettering painted silver
2) Removable star painted (or molded) silver and "MERCEDES-BENZ" lettering not painted (black)
3) Molded-in (i.e. non-removable) star and "MERCEDES-BENZ" lettering both black -- totally unpainted

I believe #2 was phased in sometime during very very late US model year 1992 or early US model year 1993
#3 was phased in sometime during the US model year 1993.
Definitely all US model year 1994 cars are #3s.

Having painted lettering can be an aphrodisiac, so it's best after touching up or painting your star/lettering, to be careful as to the circumstances where it is shown off.

Cheers,
Gerry

makemann
07-18-2015, 09:42 PM
Just throwing this out there for your consideration:

The factory eliminated the paint shortly after your car was made, and from that point on, all the replacements came un-painted as well. I actually prefer them unpainted, but I'm weird like that. Whenever I see them this way, I take an appropriate solvent and a rag, and I just wipe the rest of it off on both sides. Problem solved for me...

Hmm, that's very practical. And I have to clean it first anyway. I'll give it a wipe and see how it looks. Thanks for the easier solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

makemann
07-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Having painted lettering can be an aphrodisiac, so it's best after touching up or painting your star/lettering, to be careful as to the circumstances where it is shown off.

Cheers,
Gerry

This is really good information to know. I had planned to take it to the St. John's Concours d'Elegance in Plymouth next week and I would feel pretty uncomfortable to have three judges getting familiar with my car's intake tubes.

gerryvz
07-18-2015, 09:53 PM
This is really good information to know. I had planned to take it to the St. John's Concours d'Elegance in Plymouth next week and I would feel pretty uncomfortable to have three judges getting familiar with my car's intake tubes.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkThe stunning color of your car, combined with painted lettering, could actually be overwhelming to some judges.

You simply MUST be careful & take caution.

Klink
07-18-2015, 10:14 PM

The stunning color of your car, combined with painted lettering, could actually be overwhelming to some judges.

You simply MUST be careful & take caution.

:stormy:

makemann
07-19-2015, 04:27 PM
I used some Testers Silver and a steady hand. Have to do some minor clean up, but I think it's an improvement.

After finishing, I drove to Costco to fill up with gas and I felt like a piece of meat as I was pumping. I could just feel the onlookers lifting my hood with their eyes and ogling the handy work. Gerry you were right, next time I'll be more cautious.
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/07/316.jpghttps://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/07/317.jpghttps://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/07/318.jpg

gerryvz
07-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Makemeister,

You need to route that hose from the top of the radiator to the expansion tank, UNDER that little clip on the headlight cover near the passenger side intake tube. Right now you have it sitting on top of the radiator cross-member on the precious yellow emissions sticker.

Trust me, even a tiny faux pas like that is noticed and in this case probably cost you getting loved-up on the street by a hot blonde model type.

And the yellow expansion tank? o_O

The intake tubes look good though! Always an important overall indicator.

:stickpoke:

makemann
07-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Makemeister,

You need to route that hose from the top of the radiator to the expansion tank, UNDER that little clip on the headlight cover near the passenger side intake tube. Right now you have it sitting on top of the radiator cross-member on the precious yellow emissions sticker.

Trust me, even a tiny faux pas like that is noticed and in this case probably cost you getting loved-up on the street by a hot blonde model type.

And the yellow expansion tank? o_O

The intake tubes look good though! Always an important overall indicator.

:stickpoke:

Thanks, I caught the unclipped hose before I shut the hood.

Out of sheer embarrassment, I was going to Photoshop the expansion tank before I posted that photo, but I put it out there anyway. Baby steps Gerry, baby steps.

Glen
07-19-2015, 06:04 PM
The silver paint looks great! Nice job [emoji106]

Re: expansion tank hose, in addition to what Gerry pointed out, it should also route along the fender and then between the expansion tank and washer tank.

Glen
07-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Like this:

And as you can see, I could use a new tank as well...and some general cleaning too. [emoji35]

gerryvz
07-19-2015, 06:07 PM
The silver paint looks great! Nice job [emoji106]

Re: expansion tank hose, in addition to what Gerry pointed out, it should also route along the fender and then between the expansion tank and washer tank.+1. Here's an illustration from my car:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/02/13.jpg

07-19-2015, 08:58 PM
I don't ever recall seeing that SRS sticker before...the one just to the left of the hood latch.

gsxr
07-19-2015, 09:18 PM
+1. Here's an illustration from my car:
Gerry, nobody likes a showoff. :p :p :D :D

I don't ever recall seeing that SRS sticker before...the one just to the left of the hood latch.
Yep, that is original and correct. They are still available new if you want to replace one that is missing or tired looking. Wish I had bought a few dozen back when they were only a buck or two each.

:tumble:

Glen
07-19-2015, 09:21 PM

Interestingly, my high miler has one there but my silver one doesn't.

gerryvz
07-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Gerry, nobody likes a showoff. :p :p :D :DEhhhhh...you're just jealous that I can get a better "'shine" on my engine than you can....I got the juice, you don't :stickpoke::mushroom:

07-20-2015, 05:41 AM
Yep, that is original and correct. They are still available new if you want to replace one that is missing or tired looking. Wish I had bought a few dozen back when they were only a buck or two each.

:tumble:

No evidence whatsoever that there was one there to begin with. Perhaps MY 94 cars (or late production 94) didn't get this sticker.

gerryvz
07-20-2015, 08:29 AM
Interestingly, my high miler has one there but my silver one doesn't.As far as I know my car never came with one. But I've certainly seen them on a lot of .036 and non-.036 models.

gsxr
07-20-2015, 10:09 AM
No evidence whatsoever that there was one there to begin with. Perhaps MY 94 cars (or late production 94) didn't get this sticker.
My early-build (Jul-1993) E500 has the SRS sticker. I've seen some other 94-95 W124's without it but I don't know if they came from the factory like that. My 1995 E320 wagon has the sticker as well. Klink, where art thou?

:detective: :klink:

Glen
07-20-2015, 01:15 PM
My 744 silver car has a build date of 4/15/94, so relatively late. Not sure about the 199 car but I think it was sometime in December '93.

nocfn
07-20-2015, 01:22 PM
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/07/320.jpgI am 5/94 and there is something there...I will go and check.

Added the picture. PN 1245844446

07-20-2015, 02:31 PM
My car is May 1994 and does not have it.

Glen
07-20-2015, 06:37 PM
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/07/320.jpgI am 5/94 and there is something there...I will go and check.

Added the picture. PN 1245844446

We're talking about the white SRS sticker that may or may not be present next to the hood latch. All cars should have the yellow/orange catalyst sticker.

nocfn
07-20-2015, 06:38 PM
Ok check again... Sorry

Edit: I have 4 stickers, yellow as the pic shows, silver that discusses emissions, another for ac and a small white one to use proper coolant. My only SRS is on my door jamb,

gerryvz
07-20-2015, 07:27 PM
That yellow (or black on earlier cars) emissions sticker IS NOT and NEVER HAS BEEN available, even though it has an MB part number.

A car not having that yellow sticker is a dead giveaway of having the radiator core support replaced, often due to front-end accident. Shops and dealers alike CANNOT get those yellow stickers.

nocfn
07-20-2015, 07:38 PM
I read that somewhere.....[emoji102]

gerryvz
07-20-2015, 07:39 PM
I read that somewhere.....Yes, that Banzworld font of MB knowledge, cascade McClare.

07-20-2015, 08:00 PM
My only SRS is on my door jamb,

Can you post a photo please?

nocfn
07-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Yea, here it is:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/07/321.jpg

07-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Yea, here it is:

Thank you. The one in my car is located in the same place and looks just like yours. Interesting that MB put that sticker in two different locations.

nocfn
07-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Sure and my 91 C126 is in the same place

gsxr
07-20-2015, 08:41 PM
There may be two different SRS decals. The one in the driver door jamb has replacement dates. The one under the hood is a safety warning for mechanics.

:pc1:

gerryvz
07-20-2015, 09:13 PM
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/07/10.gif

Not "there may be" two different SRS decals.

There _ARE_ two different SRS decals. No questions asked.

One go under hood on radiator support.

Other go on driver door jamb.

Klink
07-20-2015, 10:16 PM
That yellow (or black on earlier cars) emissions sticker IS NOT and NEVER HAS BEEN available, even though it has an MB part number.

A car not having that yellow sticker is a dead giveaway of having the radiator core support replaced, often due to front-end accident. Shops and dealers alike CANNOT get those yellow stickers.

Oh man! I don't remember exactly what the incident was, but sometime in the late 80s we needed one of those stickers for a particular new car. The original was either missing, damaged, incorrect, I don't remember exactly because I was not involved with it until they asked me to go find a particular car and place it in a well illuminated area of the shop, which I did. What I do remember, was that a "field service manager"/" factory rep" fom MBUSA had to bring it in person, install it himself, photograph it, and fill out a ream of paper. I was told that this was on top of previous reams of forms that he had to fill out and submit before they would give it to him, and that this was all due to some federal emission compliance regulations. What Honcho said is dead on. You are not getting one of those from MB, not now, not ever, not for an old car or a new one...

gerryvz
07-21-2015, 07:58 AM
I'd say that's an anomaly, but be prepared for questions from prospective buyers on the topic, if you ever sell your car :)

Godiva99
10-26-2015, 08:26 PM
I'm going through the process of dismantling and detailing the air cleaner and other black plastic engine covers . . . . and given that my (I guess early) '93 has the detachable silver star and silver painted MERCEDES BENZ on either side (that are fading / chipping) I'd like to refurb those as well. I think I understand best approach for the lettering (as described above), but my thoughts on the star are to remove it completely and spray paint with Wurth alloy wheel paint (silver metallic). Has anyone actually removed one of these ? With air cleaner box removed - it appears you can separate the underside panel to access the points at which the star mounts through from the top. I have removed the 4 screws holding the bottom panel on -- but am fearful to start prying it off (afraid the plastic will be brittle and have some interference fit tabs that end up breaking. Advice from anyone who has undertaken this task would be greatly appreciated ! !

Also -- on a whim (or through the power of marketing persuasion) purchased a tube of Sonax Plastic restorer gel (210141_SON_A8E2BC1F) . . . was curious if any have tired it ? ?

Doug

Godiva99
11-03-2015, 07:35 PM

So one additional question . . . also pulled off other plastic covers . . in this case the black plastic cover over the distributer cap (drivers side bank) . . . it appeared to not be fitting quite right when I removed it. When trying to put it back on I found that it interfered with a ground wire coming off the engine. Appears that the plastic cover has a square hole (bottom of picture) in it that might allow for the ground wire to run through . . . but it would require unscrewing, positioning plastic cover in place, then reattaching ground wire. Didn't seem like that would have been intended. Does anyone know if this ground wire was supposed to have been attached elsewhere, or am I just missing something ? ?

Doug

gsxr
11-03-2015, 07:45 PM
That wire doesn't belong there. :doh:

I can't quite tell from the photo, but I suspect that is the ground strap from the power steering pump bracket, and it should bolt on with other grounds at the ABS/ASR pump bracket. See attached image. Or if the other end of that wire goes to the location I circled, then it should connect to the p/s bracket, not the valve cover. Again, this is just a guess...

vatc5637
11-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Picture of aforementioned tandem pump bracket, you can see the threads where the ground strap bolts in just to the right of the green tandem pump tag on the edge of the bracket itself. Second picture shows ground wire attached (sorry for the blurriness, but wanted to show the relative position when installed on motor)