PDA

View Full Version : ABS/ETS/ESP Diagnostic Manual Help

zooklm
09-27-2012, 06:17 AM
I am trying to get my car running right and pulled codes. I pulled codes and got 30, 31 and 32 on pin 6 (plus more on other pins). All remedies pointed to test step 28.

I have the sections of the Diagnostic Manual applicable to most of the modules but cannot find the section for the ABS. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Lee

gsxr
09-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Lee,

Codes 30/31/32 on the ASR module all indicate generic data communication issues between modules via the CAN bus. If you are using the WIS, the ABS+ASR section is Group 42.40, subgroup 5.2. These codes generally should go away if all the modules are seated correctly. I don't suppose you have a spare module you could swap in for testing...?

:detective:

zooklm
09-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Dave,
I have the WIS and will look up the group/subgroup info you provided. Ihave not used the WIS enough to be able to quickly navigate in it.

I have been having data communications issues for a while with associated codes in the other modules and am trying to get it all sorted out and get my 500E back on the road. I have swaped the base, LH-SFI and Diagnostic modules to see if there are differences, and nothing (codes) changed for them. I don't have an ASR module to try, though. In reviewing the trouble codes this morning I noticed an interesting thing that all the modules are showing data communication codes except the EZL.

Any thoughts on that?
Thanks,
Lee

gsxr
09-27-2012, 10:52 AM
That is odd... but if you look at the EZL code list, there is no code for data exchange with ABS/ASR module, only LH and E-GAS. I'd probably try a different ASR module but it would be a major bummer if that didn't fix the problem. Looks like they are ~$200 for a used one. Are there any symptoms when driving? Also have you checked the blade fuses in the BM?

:5150:

zooklm
09-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Dave,
Thanks for that thought. It runs as full rich, very rough idle, black smoke, etc. That is one of the reasons I have not driven it much.
BTW, I don't show any codes with data comm problems from the other modules to the EZL. However, I do have a code 7 on pin 7 (possible faulty E-GAS module?), code 17 on pin 4 (no can data transmission with E-GAS module) which won't clear. I think I see a trend I had not thoroughly investigated. I have not changed that module. I will focus my trouble shooting on the E-GAS module. Sometimes just communicating with someone helps to clarify things.
Lee

gsxr
09-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Yikes! Black smoke isn't good. Have you checked/replaced the O2 sensor, and/or reset adaptation on the LH? This is where a digital scanner would come in handy to look at the adaptation values, MAF readings, stuff like that. Has the upper engine harness already been replaced?

:cel:

zooklm
09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
I had done a good bit of stuff when I first got the car like the upper harness, o2 sensor, tune up, etc. It had been running well and I blew a heater hose. At the time I replaced all the heater hoses (since I did not know age) and lower engine harness. Ran good for a while and then it started having problems. I remember it started running bad and then it ran like normal for a day and then bad and kept running bad. I did some initial trouble shooting at the time but a job change and move put the car as a low priority. It has sat a couple years and I decided to get it back going this summer. I drained old fuel, took out tank and had it cleaned, new fuel pumps and filter, changed oil, plugs etc. It started quickly, but alas, runs poorly.
I need to solve the problem because my wife is growing tired of seeing the car sitting and me spending a lot of time on it trying to figure it out and not making progress. Note that she really liked the 500E when it was running properly but is now almost ready to just have it hauled off.
I have tomorrow off and am planning on spending a little time doing some additional testing.