PDA

View Full Version : location of seat belt warning module ?

azaudi
10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Looking for information for my 92 500E..........location of the (not sure of correct name, have seen it listed as seat belt warning module, seat belt warning relay or switch) it is listed in the wiring diagrams as N2/4,
part # 0045450732. Component location in the wiring diagram shows location as behind right side of instrument cluster. Does that suggest the instrument cluster needs to be removed or can the module be
accessed from below? Any help is very much appreciated as I tweak a couple things on my recently acquired 500E...............thanks!

J-Sauce
10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
I was not able to access my buzzer through the cluster window with it removed. Although, I could see it. The entire dash had to come out, sadly.

Are you having a problem with yours, or do you plan to attempt swapping it for something less annoying?

Jelmer
10-23-2012, 02:43 AM
Eh? US cars have a buzzer? We just have the lights that go blinky blinky above the rear view mirror!

10-23-2012, 06:40 AM
We do have a seatbelt buzzer...totally annoying to say the least.
:banger:

I do my best to avoid it coming on by latching the seatbelt prior to turning the key in the ignition.

J-Sauce
10-23-2012, 08:53 AM
You can easily disable the seatbelt function by disconnecting the plug beneath the driver's seats it's the one with the green wire. That way it will only buzz if you leave the lights on or key in the ignition after turning the car off.

gsxr
10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
You can easily disable the seatbelt function by disconnecting the plug beneath the driver's seats it's the one with the green wire. That way it will only buzz if you leave the lights on or key in the ignition after turning the car off.
+1. I do this to all my cars. HUGE improvement.

:deniro:

bing
10-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Eh? US cars have a buzzer? We just have the lights that go blinky blinky above the rear view mirror!

Yes, it's an american quirky thing on all US spec/domestic cars, especially leaving the key in the ignition - either buzzez or chimes when driver door is open(ned)

bpat
10-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for this info. I find that buzzer hugely anoying. Can I do the same thing to my 560SL. It's buzzer is even worse.

azaudi
10-24-2012, 02:00 PM
The buzzer isn't my problem. What I am dealing with is what Jelmer called the blinky blinky above the rear view mirror. The seat belt warning light stays on ALL the time. The interior light didn't always function correctly so I bought a new interior light assembly and replaced the unit....one of the door switches for the interior lights was broken so I bought all new switches and replaced them all. I do realize wiring could be a problem as well. I now have the N2/4 relay/switch/module ordered(whatever the correct name is) so am wondering where that relay is located? There is a picture of N2/4 in the EPC but it is focused so close to the relay I have no idea what part of the interior it is located.........left side, right side, upper, lower? No idea what general area to look. The door switches are genuine Mercedes, the interior light is Hella and the relay I have ordered is also Mercedes.

Allgonquin
11-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Az, did you have any luck with this? My seat belt warning light just started staying on all the time today, out of the blue...

Rgds,

gsxr
11-10-2012, 08:27 PM
I've had this issue on a few cars where the blinking red light keeps blinking continuously. Each time, replacing the dome lamp assembly cured the problem. Unfortunately, that did not seem to fix azaudi's problem, unless perhaps he installed a used unit that was equally defective...?

:detective:

azaudi
11-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I've had this issue on a few cars where the blinking red light keeps blinking continuously. Each time, replacing the dome lamp assembly cured the problem. Unfortunately, that did not seem to fix azaudi's problem, unless perhaps he installed a used unit that was equally defective...?

:detective:

Time for an update from me. As mentioned early I have already replaced the dome lamp assembly with a brand new Hella assembly, and because the drivers door switch button was broken I bought new door switches for all doors and the trunk...so new switches on all doors now, along with a new dome light assembly. I had also ordered a new seat belt warning light relay # 0045450732. The relay was delivered last week and after some searching the consensus was that relay can be found after removing the instrument cluster. After removing the cluster, sure enough I could see the relay, straight back behind the cluster and just a little to the right of center. One of the mounting screws is quite accessible, another is a little tighter but not too bad, BUT there is at least one more screw (if not more) that secure a bracket. Someones suggestion the dash would have to come out looked like that could be the case, in order to access all the bracket mounting screws. I decided right away...like one second...no way am I going to remove a dash just to replace a relay. The relay connector is easily accessible so I removed the connector from the old relay, plugged in the new relay and remounted the relay in a better position. Not knowing if Mercedes relays need to be grounded or not (some early VW relays do need to be grounded, I went ahead and attached a ground wire to the relay mount just in case.
So what I now have................the relay now starts flashing when the key is turned on with the door shut etc BUT when I start the car and wait the suggested 12 seconds or so, the light keeps flashing. At least when I turn the key off, at least the seat belt light now stops flashing, so at least it doesn't flash all the time....all day, all night, as it used to. But once the car is running the belt light never goes off.

Also a note...for those who hate the buzzer sound, NOW I have a buzzer when the key is turned on! With the old relay I never had a buzzer. I can live with the light blinking while I am driving until I can track down why it does blink when driving...at least it isn't now staying on 24/7

azaudi
02-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Time for an update from me. As mentioned early I have already replaced the dome lamp assembly with a brand new Hella assembly, and because the drivers door switch button was broken I bought new door switches for all doors and the trunk...so new switches on all doors now, along with a new dome light assembly. I had also ordered a new seat belt warning light relay # 0045450732. The relay was delivered last week and after some searching the consensus was that relay can be found after removing the instrument cluster. After removing the cluster, sure enough I could see the relay, straight back behind the cluster and just a little to the right of center. One of the mounting screws is quite accessible, another is a little tighter but not too bad, BUT there is at least one more screw (if not more) that secure a bracket. Someones suggestion the dash would have to come out looked like that could be the case, in order to access all the bracket mounting screws. I decided right away...like one second...no way am I going to remove a dash just to replace a relay. The relay connector is easily accessible so I removed the connector from the old relay, plugged in the new relay and remounted the relay in a better position. Not knowing if Mercedes relays need to be grounded or not (some early VW relays do need to be grounded, I went ahead and attached a ground wire to the relay mount just in case.
So what I now have................the relay now starts flashing when the key is turned on with the door shut etc BUT when I start the car and wait the suggested 12 seconds or so, the light keeps flashing. At least when I turn the key off, at least the seat belt light now stops flashing, so at least it doesn't flash all the time....all day, all night, as it used to. But once the car is running the belt light never goes off.

Also a note...for those who hate the buzzer sound, NOW I have a buzzer when the key is turned on! With the old relay I never had a buzzer. I can live with the light blinking while I am driving until I can track down why it does blink when driving...at least it isn't now staying on 24/7

I am really late with this comment. The final part of my problem....the seatbelt warning light would continue to blink as long as the ignition was on, no matter how long the car was driven. What I found was a partly cracked fuse for the circuit. The fuse would still carry current but because the copper fuse strip was partly cracked, something was upsetting the seatbelt warning light system. (possibly not grounding completely?)....... New fuse fixed the problem

emerydc8
03-05-2014, 09:00 PM
I am really late with this comment. The final part of my problem....the seatbelt warning light would continue to blink as long as the ignition was on, no matter how long the car was driven. What I found was a partly cracked fuse for the circuit. The fuse would still carry current but because the copper fuse strip was partly cracked, something was upsetting the seatbelt warning light system. (possibly not grounding completely?)....... New fuse fixed the problem

Is this fuse located in the fuse box or is it behind the instrument cluster?