PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem

ian blackstone
12-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Don't know if this is a transmission or an electrical problem (or both)
My E500 with 163,900 miles has been going fine after an EZL/coil replacement (thank you Dave!).About i week ago without warning,a change in the shifting was noticed,if one accelerated,without warning it would shift down and rev and if one would lift off it would get back to normal changing.If one did not "gun" it things were tolerable.
2 days ago things suddenly changed.My wife was driving when suddenly all the lights came on ie ASR,ABS and check engine and the car shut off and would not start.I was called and could do nothing Car was towed to a euro car garage where my wife's 99 Benz 280 C had previously been serviced and repaired.
They said they found a loose wire in the fuse box and changed the transmission fluid and then advised a transmission rebuild(don't know if they flushed the torque converter)
Paid a not inconsiderable bill and drove it today .Went OK but still shifted as before.I did my Saturday rounds.stopping and starting a few times and then
drove up to our house,noticed that all the lights were on ,and as before no start!
What do I do?
By the way my other car is trapped in the garage.
Ian

2phast
12-08-2012, 06:37 PM
The issue of the car just "dying" is a same issue I am having. Have a separate thread going about it. Definitely post if you discover the fix.

ian blackstone
12-08-2012, 07:00 PM
2 I should have written that mine will not crank
best of luck Ian

gsxr
12-09-2012, 09:58 AM
If it won't crank... try moving the shift lever to "N", and if it still won't crank, move it around slightly. Could be a faulty gear position indicator / starter lockout switch on the transmission, which will also cause an intermittent limp-home mode. Common failure after 15-20 years, I've had to replace this item on all of my M119 cars... btw, glad to hear the replacement EZL worked well!

:deniro:

ian blackstone
12-09-2012, 02:53 PM
No luck,doesn't seem to be the lockout or the ignition switch.
Thanks for trying

gsxr
12-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Hmmmm. Also check all the fuses. One of them (I forget which) can prevent +12v from getting to the starter solenoid. Kind of a long shot, but worth checking the easy stuff first!

:detective: