PDA

View Full Version : Demand for 500e body kit?

Stevester 500E
12-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Is there a demand for a 500e body kit?
In my opinion, one without impact strips would be nice.
Also, if the front and rear bumpers were made lower, the car would have a nicer looking stance. One small thing that bothers me on the front bumper is that the front lip tilts up a few degrees. I think a more horizontal front lip would look better.
One more for the bucket list, the side skirts could use modification too, I think the door cladding rolls to fall and the skirts are tucked too far under the doors.

Any thoughts?

need2speed
12-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Is there a demand for a 500e body kit?
In my opinion, one without impact strips would be nice.
Also, if the front and rear bumpers were made lower, the car would have a nicer looking stance. One small thing that bothers me on the front bumper is that the front lip tilts up a few degrees. I think a more horizontal front lip would look better.
One more for the bucket list, the side skirts could use modification too, I think the door cladding rolls to fall and the skirts are tucked too far under the doors.

Any thoughts?

I think the facelift 036 is damn-near perfect, but some CF panels would be nice esp. the hood.

Jimbo
12-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Really?

Seriously tho...its darn elegant as is IMO.

That lower lip was no doubt designed that way to optimize air flow up instead of under. Cars are pretty scary at high speeds with too much air flowing under them.

Glen
12-14-2012, 10:37 AM
I have to agree with the others. The factory did a nearly perfect job on the 500E, the only things I would change are to add a very small trunk lip spoiler (I'm currently evaluating one) and possibly a very subtle front splitter. I wouldn't change the side skirts/rockers at all.

KarlC
12-14-2012, 10:56 AM
I have to agree with the others. The factory did a nearly perfect job on the 500E, the only things I would change are to add a very small trunk lip spoiler (I'm currently evaluating one) and possibly a very subtle front splitter. I wouldn't change the side skirts/rockers at all.

+1

gsxr
12-14-2012, 10:58 AM
+1 on the rear lip and front splitter. The AMG Gen2 kits that I've seen modified and installed on (usually Japanese) .036's is about the only thing I'd consider.

The Intro manual says the front bumper was reshaped compared to the standard 124, the 500E front bumper "reduces front axle lift by nearly one-half".

:mushroom:

gerryvz
12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Given that the E500E was designed to be a high-speed runner, very definitely MB did some significant wind-tunnel work to shape and optimize that front air-dam lip so as to reduce high-speed lift/float of the car, per Jimbo's reply above. I believe I have even seem some specs that talk about the reduction in front-end lift over pedestrian W124s, due to the specially designed (but yet subtle) aero add-ons specific to the .036.

Cheers,
Gerry

12-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Any styling modifications must respect the Brunno Sacco design lines, and must be up to the quality standards of the whole car. The 500E has a near perfect front end and sides (both 91 & 94 looks), strong line and isn't rounded up like the new cars (soap bar styling).

I would only recommend a small rear Spoiler (smaller Duck-tail style maybe?) and an exhaust system on these cars... Just to beef up the rear end and make it more noticeable...EvoII should have been standard.

gsxr
12-14-2012, 12:16 PM
I believe I have even seem some specs that talk about the reduction in front-end lift over pedestrian W124s, due to the specially designed (but yet subtle) aero add-ons specific to the .036.
If you look directly above your previous post, you'll find those specs you believed you had seen.

:mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom:

joef
12-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Fellows, here are 2 kits I came across while trolling the jdm auction sites. The one is a Lorinser kit, I believe 036 specific. I have an old Lorinser catalog hiding somewhere. The silver one, you be the judge. I thought I had a re shot, but I guess I didn't save it.

szvook
12-14-2012, 01:11 PM
If it's not broken...don't fix it.

12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Fellows, here are 2 kits I came across while trolling the jdm auction sites. The one is a Lorinser kit, I believe 036 specific. I have an old Lorinser catalog hiding somewhere. The silver one, you be the judge. I thought I had a re shot, but I guess I didn't save it.

Did they mistake the 500E for a Civic ? Lorinser did not make a body kit for the 036 nor did any other German Tuning company. But some people insist on doing $hit to a Mercedes..

Glen
12-14-2012, 02:12 PM

The silver one in particular is way overdone and exaggerated. It ruins the lines of the car, IMO. The front air dam on the black car looks...odd.

500AMM
12-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Interesting topic. :-)

For a while I was very keen on the AMG gen II kit, especially the front bumper, but my taste has drifted away. And absolutely from the duck tail, that is too much for me. But the Gen II kit is very tasteful on the regular 124 along with the additional tweaks on ride height and nice wheels etc.., just look at Zorro's E420! :-)

The only comment I have to the 036 design is the broken curve between the sacco and the side skirts (rocker panels?). The doors are "hanging in the air" so the side skirts should have been further out and met the edge on the sacco, while the sacco panels can be as is. Front splitter would be fine, but a rear wing - mmmnn...must be a low profile then.

As for CF panels, that is pure weight savings for me, I want them painted anyway.

----------

Update: It is another thing - the mirrors, they could have been smoother shaped and same size on both sides.

Glen
12-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Interesting topic. :-)

The only comment I have to the 036 design is the broken curve between the sacco and the side skirts (rocker panels?). The doors are "hanging in the air" so the side skirts should have been further out and met the edge on the sacco, while the sacco panels can be as is.

I see what you are saying but I think having the rocker slightly inset from the doors breaks up the side of the car, giving a sleeker appearance. If the rockers were flush with the doors, the car would have a slab sided look, adding "bulk" or heaviness to the design. JMO. (see silver car posted above)

500AMM
12-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I agree Glen, the rocker panels must not come out too much. On the silver car in post #10 they have an additional profile pointing outwards which enhance the bulk look. I want the same profile as stock rockers, but just a bit further out, towards the edge on the sacco. The lower part on the sacco panels are angled and I want the rocker panels to continue that line all the way under the car. (I think I'll make my own rocker panels in the future. I have a set of AMG gen II rocker panels I could use, but it's hard to cut & modify on NLA AMG parts).

sheward
12-15-2012, 11:17 PM
It's difficult to design a kit that truely enhances a design and fits well. A member here makes rear facias that i think look very good. I think the name of his co. is Socal Carbon...or is it ASdesign? He kept the bumper strips but brought it a bit lower. I have a flat splitter i'm working on fitting to the front and that tilt up in the center is what i'm working on. I have some ideas but the only way i'll actually fit it is without altering the bumper (or i may have to get another). Another member,Nibe, designed a rear diffuser i thought was well done.

drew

Dan Hiatt
12-16-2012, 08:12 AM

At first glance I thought these body kits looked kind of cool, but after awhile they started to look so.... Miami Vice - ish. Old. I think they make a car designed in the 80's look stuck in the 80's. Subtle tweeks to the car's lines would go a long way towards a less dated look. My $.02.

Dan

diaconovic
12-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Something i 'll never do but check out this front bumper ( without tow hook cover ) looks like a cross between an original 036 bumper & AMG ... not bad .

http://toshifumu-kako.blogspot.fr/2012/12/500e.html

Cannoli
12-24-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm leaning towards an AMG Gen1 look, in particular a body kit that has similar design queues as a W201 190E 2.3-16 and the W201 Evo I.

For me, the W201 has the best sedan proportions that MB has made to date ... IMHO.

gsxr
12-24-2012, 01:49 PM
The Japan bumper looks interesting but I'd need to see it painted, I have a hard time visualizing the final appearance from the pics above.

I really like the Gen2 kits on late 124's but that's just me. Below is a pic of a 500E with a modified Gen2 bumper installed (remember, the standard 124 bumpers are NOT a direct fit with the .036's flared fenders!). Note that you need to use C36 bumper fogs in the Gen2 bumper when installed with E500E headlights.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2012/12/125.jpg

Cannoli
12-24-2012, 02:00 PM
gsxr (Dave) - what fog lights are used in the AMG Gen1 front facia?

gsxr
12-24-2012, 02:46 PM
gsxr (Dave) - what fog lights are used in the AMG Gen1 front facia?
Technically, AFAIK, there are none... they are auxiliary pencil-beam long-range lights, i.e. extra high beams, not fogs. Fog lights have a low, wide, short-range beam pattern.

The Bosch bumper lights used with the Gen1 bumper are part number HWA-201-820-01-56. The EPC says these are "High Beam Headlamps". I am not sure what the Bosch part number is, or if there is a different part number available that would be a fog light instead of auxiliary high beams.

If anyone knows of a true fog light for the Gen1 bumpers, please let me know and I'll add that info to my AMG kit spreadsheet.

:strawberry:

12-25-2012, 08:43 AM
GSXR.

That Jap Gen2 replica bumper does not appear to be deeper nor has better aerodynamics than a standard 500E bumper... all that work for just a crease ?! Plus those fog lights don't fit the W124 pre-facelift design

diaconovic
12-31-2012, 09:23 AM
The Japan bumper looks interesting but I'd need to see it painted, I have a hard time visualizing the final appearance from the pics above.

[/IMG]

Here you go , they've added some shots since last time :

http://toshifumu-kako.blogspot.fr/2012/12/500e_29.html

gsxr
12-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Patrice... I think it looks pretty good. Shame it would cost a small fortune to ship to the USA...

:apl:

AS Design
01-11-2013, 04:36 AM
It's difficult to design a kit that truely enhances a design and fits well. A member here makes rear facias that i think look very good. I think the name of his co. is Socal Carbon...or is it ASdesign? He kept the bumper strips but brought it a bit lower. I have a flat splitter i'm working on fitting to the front and that tilt up in the center is what i'm working on. I have some ideas but the only way i'll actually fit it is without altering the bumper (or i may have to get another). Another member,Nibe, designed a rear diffuser i thought was well done.

drew

Now that's an old school shot of my garage lol.

500AMM
01-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Now that's an old school shot of my garage lol.

Hello Alberto - long time no see! :-) Must be back to the 500Ecstasy days 2006-7.
How is your signal yellow 500E doing? (I don't find your company on the internet anymore.)

Cheers

kwontumspeed
01-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Not to hijack the thread but what are the PNs for a GenII kit (for sedan and wagon)?

500AMM
01-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Not to hijack the thread but what are the PNs for a GenII kit (for sedan and wagon)?

Hi Robert,

I guess Dave's AMG pdf. is great!

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/W124/124_AMG_body_kits.pdf

kwontumspeed
01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi Robert,

I guess Dave's AMG pdf. is great!

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/W124/124_AMG_body_kits.pdf

I'm guess these are not US landed costs?

I wonder how a bumper-only would look on a wagon. I have some money from when i had my wagon towed after an exploded belt - tow company damaged the front bumper and forked over almost $1000...

gsxr
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Pricing changes frequently, check your favorite online OE MB part vendor for current pricing. Prices in the spreadsheet are MSRP, not discounted, and do not include freight. The front bumper can ship via UPS/FedEx Ground, but the rear bumper exceeds size limits and usually has to ship via freight ($$$).

:spend:

AS Design
01-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Hello Alberto - long time no see! :-) Must be back to the 500Ecstasy days 2006-7.
How is your signal yellow 500E doing? (I don't find your company on the internet anymore.)

Cheers

I drop by once in a while on the w124 forums & see what ppl have been up to. The yellow guys has been gone for a while now. Been through quite a lot of cars since then. I shut the site down because I just don't have the time to do any projects because I'm busy with work. I only do my own personal projects for the time being. I'll eventually open something up down the line. Don't worry I'm not done with the w124's just been holding back for the right moment ;-)

kind regards,
Albert S

Stevester 500E
01-18-2016, 11:48 PM
That is probably the best looking non stock bumper for the .036

I really like the Gen2 kits on late 124's but that's just me. Below is a pic of a 500E with a modified Gen2 bumper installed (remember, the standard 124 bumpers are NOT a direct fit with the .036's flared fenders!). Note that you need to use C36 bumper fogs in the Gen2 bumper when installed with E500E headlights.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2012/12/125.jpg