PDA

View Full Version : W124 antenna corosion issue

Roma_500E
04-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Hello guys ,

My antenna stopped working for no reason ... I took it off , inspected it looks good. I supplied the motor with 12v directly and it woks fine. Then checked the supply plug on a car it does have 12v there. In a result found out corosion on the chip which is inside of the antenna .... somehow water got inside of the antenna box ...

Here is a pic of the chip with green corosion :stickpoke:

QUESTION

Do you guys think there is the way to restore this thing ?

if no, does anybody have antenna for parts with the good chip ?

Thanx a lot

Roman

gerryvz
04-28-2013, 11:17 PM
I recommend just getting a used replacement (eBay or wrecking yard; any antenna from a Benz of your era should be fine) or a new/universal Hirschmann.

500AMM
04-29-2013, 04:27 AM
That looks really bad, how's that possible! But is that an Hirschmann?? However, it is no point to rescue that, it will create problems later on. Replace the electronics or get a new antenna.

Just as a recommendation since you are at the antenna now;
I recently refurbished the antenna on my Limited, the electronics was clean with slight corrosion inside the connector only. But the antenna was stuck 30cm up, as they often can do after some years. I soaked the telescopic tube with WD40 and wrapped it in plastic so it remained moist for 24 hours. I disassembled the entire antenna, all internals, but I left the telescopic tube attached to the housing. It was totally stucked and I start working upwards really hard, it was a win or lose battle, and slowly it came to life again. NB! - if you compress you easily risk bending and breaking the tubes. And it is important to keep up the massage, constantly adding thin oil, clean and new oil, until all tube sections runs nice with less friction. Clean the drive mechanism properly and don't add sticky lube on the flexible toothed stroking rod. The grease dries out and harden and make problems in the long term.

And I like to repeat myself on this - use the best and cheapest tool we all have;
"Take your time and rush on slowly".

Just my 2 cents...

:wine:

Roma_500E
04-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Thank you guys,

Yes thats my OE antenna but thats really weird cuz usually antenna itself gets broken but here is corrosion issue .... Idk how how the water came in cuz its texas car , never ever winter driving, few times in the rain .... but I washed it pretty much every time I use it , may be thats the issue ...

Anyway you are right since I ve already got in my antenna it is better to address all issues in advance .

I also want to hook up power antenna button

Does anybody have diagram or scheme how to do that ? I got a button off wagon with wires but there are to many wires LOL so I need your help

Thanx

Roman

500AMM
04-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Thank you guys,
I also want to hook up power antenna button

Does anybody have diagram or scheme how to do that ? I got a button off wagon with wires but there are to many wires LOL so I need your help

Thanx
Roman

Maybe some of these would help.

gsxr
04-29-2013, 09:46 AM
The circuit board failure is a common problem. I've had that on several Hirschmanns. I got the universal replacement via Amazon for my wife's 92 500E, pics are at the link below. Cost was somewhere around $175 IIRC. The antenna pictured (DRP-7) fits 1992-1993 models:

http://www.w124performance.com/images/W124_stereo/Hirschmann/1992-1993/

:5150:

Roma_500E
12-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Bought replacement antenna which has different connector. Checked the adapter as Dave suggested. Dealer quoted $79 or something even worse fr just an adapter !!! :o:o

So went to junkyard and bought this thing (pic attached)

Played with the wires but was not able to figure it out.

Could anybody help and say which wires from new plug goes where in a car if I cut the old square square ???

:detective:

Roma_500E
12-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Anybody ?

Glen
12-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Generally, the brown wire is ground, the red with white stripe is +12V and the blue wire is the trigger from the HU. What else do you need to know?

Roma_500E
12-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Generally, the brown wire is ground, the red with white stripe is +12V and the blue wire is the trigger from the HU. What else do you need to know?

That is good to know , thanx. How about that black which is sort of on a side ?

What I did , I played with the wires (burnt fuse one time , lol ) and was able to make antenna move out but it would not go back . Then I switched some wires around and it went back in but would not go out after I switched on the radio. So that is the problem ... I can't figure out combination that makes it work right .