PDA

View Full Version : The same engine wire harness 400E/E420/500E?

johan h
06-14-2013, 08:38 AM
I will order a harness from Ebay. I just want to confirm that the one from 400E/E420 suits the 500 (same part number?). When i changed it on my E420 i found the part number on the EPC but when i do a search on the 500 i canīt get the part number to double check.

The other alternative is to order a new from Germany. The site i will order from sells original parts only. If i order from there i guess i donīt get a Delphi but a MB-original instead. Is that the crappy one or did MB shape up their original harness?

gsxr
06-14-2013, 09:41 AM
The 4.2L and 5.0L engine harnesses are not the same number, and there are slight differences, but they may be interchangeable. Remotemark on this forum had a good used 500E harness for sale, you might want to check with him first. Delphi is the only mfr that I know of, there are not any aftermarket harnesses... anything you buy new will be MB original. Only the original harnesses (mid-1990's and older) had the bad insulation. Newer harnesses (late 1990's and newer) will last almost forever.

FYI... the starter/alternator harnesses are NOT interchangeable, they have different connectors.

:watchdrama:

johan h
06-14-2013, 10:19 AM
The 4.2L and 5.0L engine harnesses are not the same number, and there are slight differences, but they may be interchangeable. Remotemark on this forum had a good used 500E harness for sale, you might want to check with him first. Delphi is the only mfr that I know of, there are not any aftermarket harnesses... anything you buy new will be MB original. Only the original harnesses (mid-1990's and older) had the bad insulation. Newer harnesses (late 1990's and newer) will last almost forever.

FYI... the starter/alternator harnesses are NOT interchangeable, they have different connectors.

:watchdrama:

Thanks! Do you have the part number for the harness? It is strange that i canīt fin it in the EPC. So wich harness do you prefer? Delphi or the original new one? I will check the lower harness as well :)

:mushroom1:

gsxr
06-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Details here:
http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Upper_Wiring_Harness

The early and late harnesses appear to be interchangeable, there is a minor internal difference, but all the connectors are the same.

:star: