PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation - Turtle Wax 1-Step Wax & Dry

Glen
08-11-2013, 12:59 PM
This recommendation isn't for our .036's in particular but as a general purpose time saver product for daily driven cars. A little background to how I came across it. A couple years ago I installed a new black powder-coated mailbox. To keep it looking nice I looked for a product that was easy to apply and offered some level of sun protection. Perusing the detailing shelves at the store, I came across Turtle Wax 1-Step Wax & Dry. It's done a nice job on the mailbox and because it's so easy to use, I use it often which makes it even better.

Now, let me be clear, this stuff will NOT restore faded, old paint. What it's designed to do is protect decent paint between washings and be extremely easy to use. If your paint is is faded, oxidized, or otherwise needing correction, this is NOT the product to start with. Those of you with busy lives and multiple cars know that time is often in short supply and sometimes the daily driven car is neglected a bit. Hey, life happens.

For the daily driver, I have tried to wash the car every week with a wax 2 to 3 times per year. With a busy life (kids, home chores, etc.) sometimes the washings go to 2 weeks with a once a year wax. Not ideal, I know, but that's just the way it is. With this in mind, you can see that any time saved is a big deal.

So, why do I like this product? Because it's easy to use which prompts more frequent use...to protect even better. After washing, I can wax and dry our S124 in 15 minutes with a single 16 x 20 micro fiber towel. You read that right. The beauty of this product is that you apply it with the car wet. The directions say to spray it on after rinsing and wipe off with a micro fiber or cotton towel. I have been wiping the majority of the water off with the micro fiber, wringing the water out, then spraying one panel at a time and wiping it off. I even do the wheels. That's it, it's easy and it works.

It's probably a good idea to do a proper detail/wax once a year but I think this is a great maintenance product and I recommend it be added to your detailing kit.

Disclaimer: I have not used it on my E500s or M5 as they still get a more rigorous detailing with Meguiar's products but for a daily driver, I give this product an A+.

Check it out: http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodid=49

ClassicCarsAllDay
08-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks Glen! Good to know about any products that save time with my daily driver. How long does the product last?

Glen
08-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks Glen! Good to know about any products that save time with my daily driver. How long does the product last?

It really depends on your environment. I like to use it every 3rd or 4th wash. You'll have to try it and see what works for you. I have covered parking at work, which is also why I could get away with yearly waxes in the past.

Stevester 500E
08-12-2013, 05:48 PM
In California weather, I recommend at least a once a year or one every 9 month complete detail. I recomment clay barring, then using nu finish polish, and the one of the many waxes available at your local auto parts stores. Then I would wash every 2 to three weeks, and use glen's recommended wax every other wash.

szvook
08-12-2013, 05:56 PM
I have yet to wax my car since I bought it in 2005...maybe it's time.

mistermiata
08-12-2013, 09:04 PM

It may be too late Steve....:omg:

Roma_500E
08-13-2013, 12:40 AM

009, 199 and 040 colors that are polished and waxed look really impressive . Even 172 looks nice :grin: I cant believe you never did that ... :blink:

szvook
08-13-2013, 01:15 AM
I kept putting it off and then when working long hours, sometimes I would just forget. Since my car is always under a car cover when parked, aside from driving the car hasn't been exposed to the elements that much. There was a 3 year duration from 2007 to 2010 where the car was driven only on the weekends. The 21 year old paint still looks good after just a wash, but I need to have it clayed and waxed soon, maybe after the next track day in September.

modzona
08-13-2013, 08:26 AM
My e420 Sportline after last wash and wax.
I use Ammo products on my car. www.ammonyc.com
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2013/08/58.jpg

gsxr
08-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Glen, I use a similar product by Eagle One, "Was As U Dry"... sounds like it works just like your Turtle Wax product:

http://eagleone.com/wax-as-u-dry

Available at McParts / FLAPS.

:deniro:

vatc5637
08-13-2013, 01:34 PM
ditto:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/spray-on+wax+35+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks

JordiC
08-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Spray waxes can lead to bad habit forming. They are quick and easy to use but they don't replace proper waxes or sealants. They do work great to replenish a previously protected finish in 10 minutes.

Stevester 500E
08-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Modzona, I like your car. I will take it over a 500e and day !

modzona
08-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Modzona, I like your car. I will take it over a 500e and day !

Thx! Always nice to hear!
Im comming with a build thread in some time. Just got my self a garage. So every rubber part in the undercarriage will be changde this winter!