PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Event today

Maui
09-28-2013, 05:21 PM
The Portland club had a little event at the local Griot's dealer today. They did a windshield polishing demo using Griot's products. Very educational and they gave out some nice samples of a number of products and 15% off anyting you wanted to purchase. I had never heard of Griot's before today. Looks like pretty nice stuff. I got my samples and purchased a few other products.

There were about 15 people there and just happened to be one other 1993 500E there. I wasn't expecting that and happy see another one in the area.

Sorry, I forgot I had my phone in my pocket and did not snap any pics. :duck:

gerryvz
09-28-2013, 06:02 PM
There were several forum members here living in Portland who have owned E500Es, including current Portland section President Allen Stephens (username at 500Eboard: a-man)

Allen sold his car, and his buddy Mike Spicer's car had a rear-end accident (?), and I think it is residing with a certain individual who is active on this board, who lives in the Boise, Idaho metroplex.

From my own years living in Portland, there were at least 6 local 500Es that I knew about. In February, 2008, just a few months before I moved to Houston, we had a 500E gathering at Portland International Raceway. At that event IIRC we had eight 500Es/E500s assembled. It was to commemorate the grand re-opening of the freshly resurfaced PIR track. More information here on this thread (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?1661-Portland-OR-E500E-Gathering-February-2008).
I used to be a regular at the Friday and Saturday night drag races at PIR from the 2002-2006 period. At various times, I raced my 300SEL 6.3, 450SEL 6.9, 560SEC, and E500 (pre and post-NOS installation).

Back in 2001, I hosted the annual gathering of the International M-100 Group in Portland. More than 50 6.3s, 6.9s and Grand 600s came to Portland from all over the US to attend the event. As part of the four-day event, we rented out the PIR racetrack for an entire day, and had at it. Richard Griot came down to Portland from his home base of Tacoma, and gave one of the technical sessions on car care. We did that right in the parking lot of the DoubleTree Hotel complex at I-5 and the Columbia River, which was the home base for our gathering. One of the hotels on the west side of the freeway has burned down to the ground, as I understand it.

See the last page of this article (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?3175-Cool-article-about-Mercedes-Erich-Waxenberger) to hear Erich Waxenberger, the father of the 300SEL 6.3, tell about his experience on the PIR track during my M-100 meet back in 2001. I have also attached the article to this post.

Cheers,
Gerry

P.S. A small subset of the most useful/popular Griot's products are available at all Advance Auto stores, and my understanding is that Autozone has just begun carrying Griot's products as well. You really should drive up to Tacoma and see the Griot's facility, which is housed in a converted Tacoma firehouse. It is a combination workshop, retail showroom, detailing classroom, and museum with collectable cars. I will be in Seattle visiting my parents in a few weeks, and plan to drop by to say hi to Richard.

Maui
09-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Allen was there today and told me that he had once owned one and really missed the car and would like to get another someday. He was very interested in my car, probably because it brought back memories and happy to see another in town. From what I gathered the owner of the other 500E today said his car was in the paint shop the day when you all gathered at PIR. I also heard about the one that was totaled. I think I know who purchased it, in fact I just bought a set of SA brakes from that individual (since we're not mentioning names). I think that would have been the Thunderbird Hotel that burned down.

The more I drive this car the more I love it. It is such a pleasure to drive and has a lot of power.

What wheels are these? I really like that look on the 500E.

Maui
09-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Nice article.

gerryvz
09-28-2013, 06:53 PM
What wheels are these? I really like that look on the 500E.Those are AMG wheels, commonly seen on the R129 but a bolt-on for our cars. A number of our members here are running them. They show off the brakes and rotors a bit better than the AMG Mono IIs.

These are appropriate and classic for our cars, and a nice alternative to the EVO IIs. But IMHO not quite as appropriate or classic as the AMG Mono IIs (which is what I am running).

Cheers,
Gerry

Maui
09-28-2013, 07:09 PM
I like both wheels. I have sourced a very nice set of the two piece AMG II's. My plan is to do the wheel and SA brake upgrade in the next few weeks.

The other 500E owner I met today is looking for a source for Euro Hella headlights. Do you have a source I can refer him to?

09-28-2013, 07:17 PM
The other 500E owner I met today is looking for a source for Euro Hella headlights. Do you have a source I can refer him to?

Tom Hanson. See this thread and scroll down to post #22:

http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?3771-Thumbs-Up-Mercedes-Benz-Classic-Center-Tom-Hanson-beat-parts-com-pricing&highlight=hanson

09-28-2013, 07:24 PM
I had never heard of Griot's before today. Looks like pretty nice stuff. I got my samples and purchased a few other products.

Yea, Griot's is good stuff. I am fully stocked up with their kit and have done complete exterior details (wash, clay, polish and wax (E500) and sealant (wagon)). For the price you would pay a shop to do a top-notch exterior detail one can pretty much buy all the stuff (random orbital and all required product) to do several detailings.