PDA

View Full Version : Fuse Maintenance

Egreaves20
10-21-2013, 05:54 PM
FYI-It's a good idea to replace all your fuses (the white/blue/red ones in the fuse panel under the hood) if you haven't done it already. Simple job and very cheap maintenance.

A lot of times the fuses look OK, but are actually brittle and can cause intermittent issues. Recently my dash gauges (speedo, tach, oil, gas and temp) all went out and my ABS light came on. I was baffled. I checked the fuse panel and everything looked fine. I decided to take out the fuse that powered the cluster and it was so brittle, the metal wire instantly broke apart. I replaced every fuse in that panel just to be safe and all is working well again. Years ago I bought a big box of white/blue/red fuses and am happy I got some good use out of them.

Thought I would share.

gerryvz
10-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Absolutely. The brass or copper fuses are excellent replacements for the aluminum fuses. If you can help it, don't buy aluminum fuses ... get copper or brass. Better metals that don't corrode over time.

Cheers,
Gerry

Egreaves20
10-21-2013, 06:33 PM
That's good, my replacements were copper, so I think this quick work of mine qualifies as an 'upgrade'!

Absolutely. The brass or copper fuses are excellent replacements for the aluminum fuses. If you can help it, don't buy aluminum fuses ... get copper or brass. Better metals that don't corrode over time.

Cheers,
Gerry

gerryvz
10-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Very definitely an upgrade, and one that everyone should strongly consider doing !

emerydc8
10-22-2013, 02:25 AM
Hi Gerry,

I noticed that Dormann was on the list of crap products, in the same category as Uro. Out of an abundance of precaution, a few years ago I pulled all my fuses out and replaced them with new Dormann copper fuses from AutoZone. Should I be adding new fuses to my next parts.com order? Do you know what brand of fuses parts.com would send me?

gerryvz
10-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Dorman is garbage. It may be OK parts for American cars, but I would not install it on a fine German car like an MB. Fuses are probably an exception. It's a simple device and as long as the fuse is copper, and the ends are shaped in enough of a "point" where they engage OK in the little holes in the fuse holders, you are probably just fine getting away with Dorman fuses.

However, I would always prefer that you get MB or Hella fuses where possible, as those are going to be appropriate beyond doubt and of good quality.

Parts.com ONLY sells MB factory parts, so you would get the identical fuses that you would receive from your local dealership. Very very likely they would be aluminum Hella fuses. I have received numerous fuse kits from dealers and parts.com over the years and they are always aluminum fuses.

If you have good coppers in the car, and they fit OK and don't slide out of the fuse holders, I'd just go with what you have. No sense in re-inventing the wheel. Bullet fuses are pretty simple devices and difficult to go wrong with them.

However, a warning on Dorman stuff .... it's a common aftermarket brand at US "mainstream" auto parts stores and on line. They do, IIRC, make things like window regulators for MBs. I would very very definitely stay away from them and NOT install any substantive Dorman parts on your car.

Cheers,
Gerry

Dbreid
10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Anybody have the P/N for the correct fuses (fuse kit?) from Parts.com? I like the idea of ordering up some good ones in advance.

emerydc8
10-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Gerry. I guess not even Dormann could screw up a fuse. They have been holding up well since installed, but I will limit my use of this brand to fuses only.

gerryvz
10-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Anybody have the P/N for the correct fuses (fuse kit?) from Parts.com? I like the idea of ordering up some good ones in advance.Just order the Hella fuses (if you want aluminum) from AutohauZ.com. They sell them. I will look on my parts shelves tonight for the MB part number for the small plastic fuse kits.

I highly recommend, as mentioned above, that you go with a copper or brass fuse. Get an appropriate kit off of eBay or via Amazon. Don't bother with aluminum fuses.

Trae
11-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Looking for copper fuses.
Will these work?

http://www.amazon.com/FUSES-16-AMP-RED-PACK/dp/B0007D207G/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

gerryvz
11-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Those are the ticket, Trae. Don't break your bank account buying them ... they get very expensive, very quick !!

Glen
11-04-2013, 11:04 PM
I think this is a better deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/250397942540?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

gerryvz
11-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Wow, importbaron! That's the seller formerly known as. "Bigbabbo" in La Mesa, CA. Sadly he died about 3 years ago. I first met bigbabbo in the late '90s and visited him in La Mesa several times. Great guy. He was the one who first told me about & introduced me to Robert Fenton about 12-13 years ago. I guess importbaron's family must be continuing his eBay business.

What a trip to see that.

Trae
11-05-2013, 06:22 AM
This is the price you have to pay in order to drive something with a STAR on the hood!

gsxr
11-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Wow, importbaron! That's the seller formerly known as. "Bigbabbo" in La Mesa, CA. Sadly he died about 3 years ago. I first met bigbabbo in the late '90s and visited him in La Mesa several times. Great guy. He was the one who first told me about & introduced me to Robert Fenton about 12-13 years ago. I guess importbaron's family must be continuing his eBay business.

Interesting... 10-12 years ago, there were some major problems with ordering from Bigbabbo, well documented on the Fruitbird forum, by many different buyers. Apparently they have cleaned up their act, as their current eBay record is spotless.

That fuse deal does look pretty good, btw!

:wormhole:

gerryvz
11-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Indeed I remember seeing the problems with bigbabbo, which is one reason why he changed his eBay name to importbaron. His real name was Robert Heidrich (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw0AE_GvjPg), and he was a friend of mine. Funny to see the same swagger on his current eBay ads as he used to have. His ghost lives on, I guess. He was the same in person. I knew him before a lot of the problems surfaced via PeachParts and he was a real down to earth guy.

Had a shop in a strip mall in La Mesa that was just packed with all sorts of random parts, mostly aftermarket stuff but some MB stuff too. I visited him a couple times while in San Diego / SoCal on business trips. I think what he did was to buy out a few distributors over the course of a few years, cherrypicking parts that he thought he could sell. I know he had a lot of financial problems in the years before he died, and was sitting on a lot of inventory that IMHO was un-saleable and/or of limited interest. He used to call Robert Fenton up from time to time, asking him to buy some of his excess inventory so bigbabbo could pay his bills. Robert Fenton used to tell me about this.

I hadn't talked to him for a couple of years before he died, but it definitely bummed me out when I heard that news.

I wonder if his wife or friends are carrying on his business ?!? In any case I am glad to see that his eBay record is improved.

gerryvz
11-07-2013, 07:45 PM
A bit of follow-up on this.

It seems that a company that operates the web site "www.mercedesparts.com" purchased the assets of the bigbabbo/importbaron eBay account and moved the company (or operation) to Tennesee. Likely some sort of comglomerate that bought out Robert Heidrich's company's remaining inventory and business assets after he died.

http://www.mercedesparts.com/aboutus.wws

Looks like a regular, generic MB/import parts internet seller using one of the regular online parts catalog systems (Whirrled Pack, etc.).

Trae
11-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Replaced all the fuses in my 124 fleet with copper today.
Ordered from http://www.ebay.com/itm/250397942540...84.m1439.l2649 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/250397942540?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649).

Thanks for the link Glen!

Glen
07-28-2014, 01:04 PM
More follow-up. As Gerry mentioned above, the importbaron eBay account and business was bought out and the company is now based in Tennessee. It is run by a husband and wife team, I spoke to Crystal, the wife this morning, to order more fuses. (I needed a subset of blue and red that they didn't offer in a kit...she was very accommodating in putting together a customized quantity for me). She mentioned they bought the company from Mr. Heidrichs's widow who was not able to continue running the company after he passed.

Anyway, she seemed really nice and easy to deal with.

RicardoD
05-24-2016, 12:07 AM
All fuses changed. Aluminum ones in the fuse boxes looked partially corroded already. Here is the fusebox photo from my 1994 E500 with all new fuses. Cheap preventative maintenance for my daily driver E500.