PDA

View Full Version : buzzer

CB500E
02-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Not sure what's going on with the buzzer in my car. When I press the brake pedal to the floor the buzzer will buzz faintly, this happens only when the vehicle is in park. I've replaced the brake light switch but still the same problem of the buzzing. Any ideas?

Allgonquin
02-05-2014, 05:59 PM
"Phantom" stuff like this is often related to grounds. I think the buzzer is buried up in the dash somewhere, IIRC. If you are diving in there at some point, check all the grounds you see under the dash.

Rgds,
Chris
better on mechanical things than electrical things...

DerFuror
02-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Electrical Troubleshooting Manual Model 124 Volume 1 10/92 Section 00-B.3x illustrates all of the Model 124 Ground Locations, including the Main Ground location behind dashboard (Location W1).

Also check the electrical schematics for the components in question to verify any other circuitry the components may have in common.:shocking:

CB500E
02-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Ive narrowed it down a little bit. So the buzzer only goes off faintly when the door is opened and the brake pedal is pressed. I unplugged both rear tail lights and the buzz has now gone from a constant half level buzz to a slight faint chirp only on initial press of the brakes....so it has been reduced down alot with the elimination of the brake lights from the equation. I suspect a bad ground, current back feed and or a possible issue with the door switch wiring. I see one grounding location for the rear tail lights just below the passenger side tail light...are there any other ground points in the trunk for the tail lights?

gerryvz
02-06-2014, 02:21 PM
I believe the buzzer is part of an under-dash relay setup. There are a couple of ground points under the dash that screw into the firewall and under dash metal framework near the brake pedal pivot area.

While I agree that it may well be a ground issue, I think it is under the dash, not in the rear of the car.

If it were me, I'd put the driver's seat all the way back, and get in there on my back across the door sill with a work light to do a visual inspection of the under-dash area and its ground points. You'll need to remove the black plastic under-dash cover, and probably the lower portion of the dashboard (below the steering wheel and headlamp switch). That will give you plenty of visual line of sight on things. IIRC, the relay is on the left side of the steering wheel column, up under the dash.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Gerry

gerryvz
03-14-2014, 10:00 PM
The buzzer is part of a two-relay cluster that is right behind the instrument cluster on the right hand side of the cluster. You have to remove the cluster and then you can see the relays behind the felt padding when you lift it away. Your buzzer relay may be faulty.

Did you ever solve the issue? If so, what was the culprit?

Cheers,
Gerry