PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bra?

tanger
02-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Having sold my daily driver, have been driving the E500 more. I hate the thought of the paint getting chipped or otherwise blemished - have been thinking of clear bra-ing the entire car (or at least the critical areas). My hesitation is whether the paint is too "soft" (or too old) that when removing the clear bra down the road it will also take with it some of the paint. Is this a valid concern?

Once I get through this house remodel I'm going to hunt for a better daily driver (maybe another E500E!) but in the meantime need to properly protect this one...

500AMM
02-12-2014, 08:36 AM
I propose you perform a proper paint protection on it, which is not a "clear bra", but makes the paint stronger anyway and at least easier to keep clean. Those protection systems do normally offer a chemical elimination process to be taken if paint work/corrections has to be done.

-a-

texas993
02-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Tanger,

Good to see over here. i don't think that the success on the E500E will be much different than on our 993s. These cars were painted with high-quality, thick paint that has hardened for many, many years. I think you would be safe to clear bra an original paint job. Problems seem to occur on cars that are re-painted when the clear bra is removed.

However, like your sedans, these cars are not as susceptible to road rash as the 993. The areas that get rash are the front bumpers, areas around the headlights, fender flares and side moulding (front and rear) that really sticks out.

Good luck on your search!