PDA

View Full Version : Outside temperature sensor malfunctioning

Roma_500E
03-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Few weeks ago I found out that my temperature sensor does not work right. In fact it works really strange. Here is what is going on.
When you start the car (switch on ignition) temperature display lights up and shows the right temperature appx. 55 F in a parking, few seconds later it changes yo 32F :o That the way it works every time now :detective:

Any ideas what is the problem ?

What are the components of the "outside temperature" system ?

What should I replace if I should some ?

:pc1:

Maui
03-05-2014, 11:43 PM
The car is trying to remind you that it's in Minnesota. Either that or global warming.

Roma_500E
03-06-2014, 12:14 AM
The car is trying to remind you that it's in Minnesota. Either that or global warming.

damn, you are right :agree: Probably 500E wants to go back to warmer climate, Texas or so. Also Gerry advertises Texas as the best place to live in , maybe it is time to move from fridge to normal climate :scratchchin:

Anyway, for now I am in MN and I have to fix this issue :detective:

nbvcxw8000
03-06-2014, 02:15 AM
It may be the temperature sensor! It is possible to reseal a new NTC thermistor like this: Epcos B57861S302F40.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=B57861S302F40&x=0&y=0

It is located in the front bumper.

jnes
03-06-2014, 02:37 AM
+1 for the temperature sensor. When my sensor failed it didn't show anything. Usually when the sensor is failing, it just displays strange temperature, like +38C or -18C. It's easy to test, electric connection for sensor wire is located in fuse box in engine bay. I borrowed used temperature sensor for test purposes at junk yard.

emerydc8
03-06-2014, 03:27 AM
Roma_500E,

I just snagged an outside air temperature sensor from an E320 at the junk yard. If you pm me your mailing address I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow at no charge. I cut the wire about 18" from the sensor, so you will have enough room to splice it in. By the way, when my temperature display in the instrument cluster failed, the readout was displaying random characters and numbers, so I'm not sure the sensor will fix your problem.

Roma_500E
03-06-2014, 03:42 AM
It may be the temperature sensor! It is possible to reseal a new NTC thermistor like this: Epcos B57861S302F40.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=B57861S302F40&x=0&y=0

It is located in the front bumper.

Thanx , I know where this guy is located :cheers1: However, to reseal it looks like a rocket science to me :o:D

+1 for the temperature sensor. When my sensor failed it didn't show anything. Usually when the sensor is failing, it just displays strange temperature, like +38C or -18C. It's easy to test, electric connection for sensor wire is located in fuse box in engine bay. I borrowed used temperature sensor for test purposes at junk yard.

Usually, on the other MB I saw that when sensor failed it showed extreme temperatures, either max cold or max hot. However, it still might be a sensor in my case. Looks like a have kind person who will send it to me so that I can test it :cheers:

Roma_500E,

I just snagged an outside air temperature sensor from an E320 at the junk yard. If you pm me your mailing address I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow at no charge. I cut the wire about 18" from the sensor, so you will have enough room to splice it in. By the way, when my temperature display in the instrument cluster failed, the readout was displaying random characters and numbers, so I'm not sure the sensor will fix your problem.

PM sent ,

Thanx a lot . :cheers1:

I will report back here what I got after I test it.

emerydc8
03-06-2014, 04:24 AM
I just sent the sensor via Priority Mail. You should get it on Saturday. As for the best way to replace it, the sensor I sent doesn't have the cable that goes all the way to the fuse box, so you will have to splice it in behind the front bumper, unless you can get enough of the old wire through the hole in the bumper to splice it without removing the bumper. You can have the bumper off in literally 5 minutes with a 10mm and 13mm socket. http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/88-200.pdf

texas993
03-06-2014, 05:37 AM
And Roma, I have and extra LED display if you need one. They go bad. When it went bad in my E300D, it was either blank or 20 degrees off (lower temp). Let me know if I can send you one.

bing
03-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Roma, I would also take on texas993 offer as he rightly said they go bad and very common failure as well ! Just ask your dealer how much for a new LCD and you'll react , "WTF " !!

Search for Derfuror's how to on the sensor replacement here , did a good write up on this .

03-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Roma, I would also take on texas993 offer as he rightly said they go bad and very common failure as well ! Just ask your dealer how much for a new LCD and you'll react , "WTF " !!

Search for Derfuror's how to on the sensor replacement here , did a good write up on this .

When I purchased my 036 the LED temperature display gave no reading whatsoever. Picked up a used diplay module on eBay for $15.00 and now works perfect.

gsxr
03-06-2014, 09:13 AM
It's either the sensor or the display. The display generally tends to fail such that it does not display any reading at all, so if you are seeing a fluctuating reading, the new sensor from Jon may cure it. I've had to replace several displays, but few sensors.

When you splice in the new sensor, wrap the splice with electrical tape to keep moisture out, since the splice will be in the bumper area.

:shocking:

Roma_500E
03-06-2014, 07:46 PM
And Roma, I have and extra LED display if you need one. They go bad. When it went bad in my E300D, it was either blank or 20 degrees off (lower temp). Let me know if I can send you one.

I would appreciate if you send me one. Actually, today I ve noticed it is 20 off (lower) it is appx. 52F in parking now but the display showed 32F. So sounds like I have the same issues as you had. I ll PM you my address.

:thankyou:

After I checked the price for exhaust hanger for almost $300 I m ready to hear any price for the LCD unless it is higher than $300 :cheers1:

I just sent the sensor via Priority Mail. You should get it on Saturday. As for the best way to replace it, the sensor I sent doesn't have the cable that goes all the way to the fuse box, so you will have to splice it in behind the front bumper, unless you can get enough of the old wire through the hole in the bumper to splice it without removing the bumper. You can have the bumper off in literally 5 minutes with a 10mm and 13mm socket. http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/88-200.pdf

I took my bumper off sometime ago to re-align the bumper impact and to clean everything out there. It was pretty easy except that inner fenders are PITA and I had to take them off too. Anyway the good thing now is that everything under inner fenders and bumper is clean now ;)
:thankyou:

It's either the sensor or the display. The display generally tends to fail such that it does not display any reading at all, so if you are seeing a fluctuating reading, the new sensor from Jon may cure it. I've had to replace several displays, but few sensors.

When you splice in the new sensor, wrap the splice with electrical tape to keep moisture out, since the splice will be in the bumper area.

:shocking:

Well taking into consideration all you guys said it is 50/50 now , either sensor or display. :detective:

Stevester 500E
03-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Southern California is the best climate in the world . . . . .your temperature gage will never be an issue again. . . .

Roma_500E
03-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Southern California is the best climate in the world . . . . .your temperature gage will never be an issue again. . . .

Honestly I do not why the damn sensor got bad, car is from Texas. Here in MN only summer and dry time driving .

bing
03-07-2014, 03:23 AM
Honestly I do not why the damn sensor got bad, car is from Texas. Here in MN only summer and dry time driving .

I would try replacing the LCD first then + it's easier 😁

And here's how to remove the cluster: http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=65434

vatc5637
03-07-2014, 01:27 PM
IIRC, someone suggested an alternative method for removing the instrument cluster by first removing the driver's side a/c vent (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?4992-Side-heating-cooling-vent-removal&highlight=vent+removal), then pulling the instrument cluster forward starting on the left side.

gerryvz
03-07-2014, 11:36 PM
The digital display in the instrument cluster can be repaired -- it is the two large capacitors that go bad and fail. I recently fixed one that I had and it took under an hour to repair with a soldering iron. The new caps were purchased for under $1.00 apiece at my local Fry's Electronics store.

It is best just to buy the MB instrument cluster removal tools (hooks), which I believe cost under $15 for the pair. I did use wire shirt hangers for many years with 100% success until I bought the proper MB tools via parts.com about two years ago.

Cheers,
Gerry

Roma_500E
03-07-2014, 11:51 PM
It is best just to buy the MB instrument cluster removal tools (hooks), which I believe cost under $15 for the pair. I did use wire shirt hangers for many years with 100% success until I bought the proper MB tools via parts.com about two years ago.

Cheers,
Gerry

Just got them today, they were in stock at stealer. Not sure but I think I paid $20 or so. Waiting for parts now from our board members.

gerryvz
03-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Just got them today, they were in stock at stealer. Not sure but I think I paid $20 or so. Waiting for parts now from our board members.I paid $12 for mine through parts.com

zdCUpiI1MSA

Roma_500E
03-08-2014, 12:19 AM
I paid $12 for mine through parts.com

"Ha-ha "

:miserable:

emerydc8
03-08-2014, 12:33 AM
The digital display in the instrument cluster can be repaired -- it is the two large capacitors that go bad and fail. I recently fixed one that I had and it took under an hour to repair with a soldering iron. The new caps were purchased for under $1.00 apiece at my local Fry's Electronics store.

Any chance you remember the exact capacitor? I still have my old display and wouldn't mind taking a shot at fixing it.

gerryvz
03-08-2014, 12:39 AM
Here's a good how-to on the capacitor repair.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/313607-outdoor-temp-display-repair.html

emerydc8
03-08-2014, 02:52 AM
Thanks, Gerry. I was able to get the capacitor out. It is a 47mfd, 16v. I'm not too experienced at soldering, but the way I got the capacitor out was to heat the terminals up with the soldering iron from behind and pull the black cover off with pliers. It leaves two studs sticking out (pic).

Then, I held each stud from the front with needle nose pliers while heating the terminal on the back with the soldering iron and it seemed to cause them to come right out.

I think my capacitor was leaking because of the deposit on the PCB. I'll check Radio Shack over the weekend to see if I can find a replacement. The guy who posted on peachparts said he replaced his with a 47mfd, 35v.

I didn't use any kind of heat sink. Do you think the soldering iron heat damaged the two resistor next to it?

emerydc8
03-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Well, that was a total waste of a few hours. Radio Shack only carried the 47 mfd 35v capacitor. I bought two at $1.49. I soldered one in but the display is still jumping all over the place like it did before I replaced it. So, either the 35v just won't do it or there is something else wrong.

gerryvz
03-08-2014, 05:55 PM
The capacitor that you bought should be fine. It's best to go to Fry's for stuff like that rather than Radio Shed, because RS is a shadow of its former self in terms of carrying electronic components.

You only did one of them instead of both? I'd do the other one and see if that works, otherwise get a used display. I have a few spares, so would be happy to sell one for a reasonable price. Otherwise it's the sensor. I have a spare/new MB sensor cable but they are quite expensive - IIRC more than $100.

I think the display is more likely to be the culprit than the sensor cable.

Cheers,
Gerry

emerydc8
03-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks, Gerry. I don't think Tucson has a Fry's. This was just an old display I had laying around and I thought I'd see if I could repair it. It's definitely a bad display because I just tested it on one of the cars. I didn't know the other component was a capacitor. Maybe I'll pull that one out too. The peachparts forum link didn't mention that there were two capacitors.

gerryvz
03-08-2014, 07:01 PM
You are correct ... only in Phoenix and Tempe. Bummer. IIRC there were two, maybe not though. I bought two caps to have one as an extra.

Let me know if you need a spare display, I have them right at hand here and am happy to let one go for say $15 postpaid.

Stevester 500E
03-08-2014, 07:40 PM
emerydc8,
Would you like me to locate you an entire cluster from a 400e/e420?
I know I have one somewhere, but a tornado hit my garage, we have tornados in California . . . :)
Please let me know so I can keep an eye out. BTW, did you guys here Radio Shack is going to close it's doors?

emerydc8
03-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Stevester 500E,

Thanks for the offer. That is really nice of you, but I will take Gerry up on his offer since he has an extra one to sell me. Really, a tornado? Must be that "global warming" that Algore warned us about.

I am not surprised to hear Radio Shack is closing down. If Russia and China start selling treasuries over this NATO instigated Ukraine coup, Radio Shack won't be the only store to close.

gerryvz
03-08-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm heading to the post office now, so will throw it in the mail to you immediately.

emerydc8
03-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Cool. Thanks!

gerryvz
03-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Cool. Thanks!The package is on the way to you now. I threw an extra one in the box - one I'd replaced the capacitor on, and another virgin one I snagged from an E420 cluster recently. Between one or the other, you should be in good shape.

Must be that "global warming" that Algore warned us about.I **love* Alg !!

http://llamabutchers.mu.nu/archives/al-gore-speech.gif https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/03/40.jpg

Cheers,
Gerry

emerydc8
03-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Thanks again, Gerry. Love the pic. $3 a can at Autozone. Get it while you can.

Maui
03-08-2014, 10:51 PM
The package is on the way to you now. I threw an extra one in the box - one I'd replaced the capacitor on, and another virgin one I snagged from an E420 cluster recently. Between one or the other, you should be in good shape.

I **love* Alg !!

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/ https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/03/40.jpg

Cheers,
Gerry

No fair. I just spewed water all over my fricken Macbook. :lolol:

Stevester 500E
03-08-2014, 11:58 PM
.. ..I can't seem to put a name to the face . . .but I think this is the guy who invented the internet . . .

Roma_500E
03-11-2014, 09:33 PM
:update:

Today I ve received LCD from Patrick (Texas993) and guess what ? Yup, that was the issue. I replaced LCD and got 55F in my parking instead of 35F. Tried it few times and it works fine :cheers1:

So this is another case when LCD was bad rather than sensor itself.

Thank you guys
:grouphug:

gerryvz
03-11-2014, 10:34 PM
got 55F in my parking instead of 35F. 55F?!? Brrrrr !!!!

emerydc8
03-12-2014, 03:01 AM
55F?!? Brrrrr !!!!

And that was probably during the day time.

Roma_500E
03-12-2014, 04:16 AM
And that was probably during the day time.

got 55F in my parking instead of 35F.

Parking garage temperature is all the same 24 hours.
However, it slightly depends on the outside temperature. When it was really "Brrrrr" outside (up to - 30F) the parking temperature was + 50F.
At the hottest day (+105F) parking was at +65-70F.