PDA

View Full Version : Modifying fog lamps to LED Fog Lamps

Stevester 500E
07-05-2014, 10:31 PM
How difficult would it be convert standard 500e fog lights to LED fog lights?
Thanks

2phast
07-05-2014, 10:51 PM
You could just replace the H3 halogen bulbs with LED bulbs like these. They are all over EBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Xenon-White-Samsung-2323-SMD-H3-LED-Bulb-Fog-Driving-Projector-Lens-Light-Bulb-/261524979114?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce41a7daa&vxp=mtr

J-Sauce
07-06-2014, 12:37 AM
I was just researching this last night! Our fogs are actually H1 bulbs, but there are just as many LED replacements for H1 on the market. The problem is that most of them have pretty bad reviews and offer no real world benefit. Many actually reduce light output compared to our halogens. I know it doesn't exactly answer your question, but there are a few highly recommended H1 bulbs on the same sites we get our over wattage H4 Osrams to upgrade our standard headlight bulbs. Candlepower.com being the only one I can recommend through experience.

I'm hoping to hear someone has jumped to LED's and was happy with them. Many of the reviewers I mentioned also had issues with fitment. The bulbs are often too long for projector housings and instead of scrapping the idea, many of the ricers just drill through their lenses! D'oh!

Roma_500E
07-06-2014, 03:53 AM
Why would yo do this ? :doh:

If I were I would just install extra bright premium white H1 bulbs. This is what I have now on my car. You can tell the difference right a way compare to OE yellowish bulbs.

I was thinking about HID but I will never allow to drill/cut something on this car.

gsxr
07-06-2014, 10:36 AM
If you are looking for more light, get name-brand "plus XX" type bulbs, or overwattage bulbs with relays & heavy wires feeding them. Anything else is a waste of money. If you have DOT headlights you'll need to shell out for the Euro lights if you want to see where you're going in the dark. The bumper fogs are pretty good as-is, even with standard bulbs.

If you just want LED's for appearances (pretty blue color or whatever), get whatever you think looks cool, but expect the light output to be lower, not higher.

HID's with halogen reflectors/lenses is a Very Bad Idea, this has already been discussed ad nauseum.

:124:

Stevester 500E
07-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the input.
I had plans on custom front bumper with a modern LED strip fog light, for looks but was hoping not to lose any light out-put.

J-Sauce
07-06-2014, 01:58 PM
If you're changing your bumper all together, that's a completely different story. There are a million factory bumper led fogs, mercedes included. Custom work opens all kinda of doors. You wouldn't have to use H1 inputs at all. The factory wiring has a plug just above the lamps on our cars. Just unplug, salvage the connector and hook up whatever you want. Some of the new mercedes led fogs are very VERY bright. Your biggest concern will be $$$.

gsxr
07-06-2014, 02:05 PM
:plusone: Yep, what Justin said above. BTW, I assume this is for the coupe project, not the green 500E... (?)

Stevester 500E
07-06-2014, 02:09 PM
The coupe, yes.