PDA

View Full Version : 1992 500E on eBay. 575 miles!!!!?????!!!

500ESpain
08-14-2010, 07:14 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes ... sQ5fTrucks (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-500-Series-RARE-92-500E-589-ORIGINAL-MILE-1992-MERCEDES-BENZ-500E-COLLECTABLE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ150480018441QQptZUSQ5fCars Q5fTrucks)

gsxr
08-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Wow. I wonder if the mileage is legit. Notice the engine temp was 110°C in the photos, btw - ouch.

:wormhole:

sheward
08-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Yea, parking deck in Vegas, no shade to be found.
this is like looking at a new car. collectors will always covet unmolested lowmile cars. shock value/bragging rights as much as anything else. seems to be doing well in this economy so far. will be interesting to watch.

mistermiata
08-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Looks like the door pocket is peeling just like on my 99k mile E500! Seriously though, that is one special car.

michel
08-15-2010, 05:51 AM
Wow. I wonder if the mileage is legit. Notice the engine temp was 110°C in the photos, btw - ouch.

When its warm mine is running on max 110 degrees to. The dealer told me thats normal.

What causes this high temponly on days 20+ degrees??
I have a new radiator, hoses, enough cooling liquit, 10W40 oil, thermostat en water sensor and cool harnas from USA.

KarlC
08-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Looks like Gerry is right... "There is always a lower mile car out there"

08-15-2010, 05:38 PM
When its warm mine is running on max 110 degrees to. The dealer told me thats normal.

What causes this high temponly on days 20+ degrees??
I have a new radiator, hoses, enough cooling liquit, 10W40 oil, thermostat en water sensor and cool harnas from USA.

110C is too high at only +20C !! , Check your cooling System.

Cool harnesses don't do nothing.

TerryA
08-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Dave,

It's Las Vegas, didn't you notice that the outside temp was 103 degrees. Your cars probably don't see those kind of temps in Idaho.

My car will hit 110 on hot days here in SoCal if I sit to long in traffic. It makes me a little nervous but it always cools down as soon as I start moving.

BTW I have a new radiator thermostat and hoses. I plan on getting my fans checked out pretty soon. I am not sure they turn on when they should.

gsxr
08-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Terry, we do get high temps in Idaho... 95-100°F ambients is pretty common in summertime, and occasionally we'll get 105°F+. Even so, my 500's rarely exceed 100°C on the dash gauge, and I've never seen either of them anywhere near 110°C, even with extended idling with the AC on in high ambients.

I'd suspect the electric fans are not working properly, and the mechanical fan may not be either. You can very clearly hear the mechanical fan roar as you rev the engine slowly toward 2000rpm when hot, and it will decouple (become quiet) around 3000-3500. If you don't hear that with a hot engine... your clutch is probably dead. If your fans are all working normally, and there is no coolant loss, your temps may be normal for the conditions you're in (varies with humidty, etc).

I'm suspicious of the eBay car's temps though, could also be the original coolant, which isn't good either! Yikes.

:5150:

gerryvz
08-17-2010, 09:48 AM
In Houston, daily temps from mid-June to mid-September run 90-98F, with 80-90% humidity. That is EVERY SINGLE DAY. My E500 will easily get to 100-105C in stop and go traffic in Houston summers; occasionally to 110ish if I'm sitting in traffic for a long time. I've gotten used to it, and my cooling system is working just fine. This is, of course with the A/C running (I have to run it 9 months of the year). If I kill the A/C, it will run 5-7C cooler.

I am used to this now. For the record, my car very rarely EVER saw 100C when I lived in Portland. In the Houston winters (50-66F daily temps are common) I definitely see "normal" temps of 85-90C.

For the record, my 124 wagon also sees high temps very commonly (105C) in regular driving, and my 560SEC and 560SL -- though they run a bit cooler -- also get up to the 95-100C mark when in stop and go or slow traffic. Fans always bring temps down quickly on all cars, and then they creep back up.

All of these temps, again, are with A/C running.

105-110 in slow/standing traffic on 90+ degree days is nothing to worry about as long as temps go down, and the fans are kicking on at the appropriate times/conditions.

Bottom line: when outside temps get above the 85 or especially 90F mark, it really jacks up the running temps of the M119 - particularly in the cramped & barely air-circulating W124 engine bay. I have noticed that my 560SEC, with a little more space around the engine under the hood for air circulation, seems to just run a bit cooler overall. The nature of the beasties. :stickpoke:

Cheers,
Gerry

szvook
08-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Terry, get yourself a cool harness and you will never have to worry about your car’s temperature while sitting in traffic. Although some flame the harness for being worthless (a huge mistake) and some feel that it does not work as well - but the purpose of the harness is not a preventative measure but a counteractive one once the heat starts to climb. There is no other way to bring your temperature down while still at lower degrees, period, but with the cool harness you can. Now if the cooling system is acting up to begin with, then the cool harness is only a band-aid. Personally, I do not want to wait for the auxiliary fans to come on at the factory set temperatures, too much heat has been generated by then, and to have only the coolant do all the work is not my cup of tea. Just get the 92°C model since we live in SoCal and never worry about the car’s heat again even while running the A/C - http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_CTS.html or http://www.k6jrf.com/MB_S500.html

:cool:

TerryA
08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Terry, get yourself a cool harness and you will never have to worry about your car’s temperature while sitting in traffic.

:cool:

Steve,

I have thought about the cool harness but to this point I am not really experiencing anything that has me alarmed. I need to make sure the fans are working properly first. Then if it still is climbing I will look into the cool harness.

I know my basic cooling system is good because it is practically new. I do suspect that my electric fans are not working properly. I am going to have them checked out.

szvook
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
I have thought about the cool harness but to this point I am not really experiencing that has me alarmed. I need to make sure the fans are working properly first. Then if it still is climbing I will look into the cool harness.
Completely understood. Btw, the harness is not just to lower the temperature when the weather is hot outside. For spirited driving, this helps to lower the temperature as well in between runs.

gsxr
08-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Totally forgot - both my 500's have the CoolHarness™ installed, which may at least partly be responsible for the fact that I haven't seen the gauge at 110°C. I am not quite sure which of the 3 available temp settings I prefer however, as the one thing I don't like is that the fans will never shut off on a hot day. I may have to experiment with different settings when I have time. Pretty much a non-issue in the winter though.

:)

550Maranello
08-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Chaps,

JimF's cool harness works real well in my car, temp never exceeds 90ºF no matter how hot it is on the road.

Orazio

szvook
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
I do agree on the slight noise issue, the fans are not quiet and yes on a hot day they can run on and off all day. But that is a small price to pay to have a full proof way to bring down the heat while in transit on a hot day and being able to run the A/C with no issues. I also have not seen 95°C since getting the cool harness, whereas before it, I saw over 100°C every time it was hot outside and when it came time to use the A/C I was somewhat skeptical – not anymore.

For me, at least, the fans are not heard much since I play music moderately loud and each time I step on the gas the exhaust note kills any other noises.

:blower:

500ESpain
08-19-2010, 06:44 AM
I think you guys have convinced me to install the cool harness. Could you tell me where can I get it. I've found this email adress (jforgioneatprodigy.net) at K6JRF Auto Page but I don't know if it's updated. Any other sources?

Thanks.

Prime
08-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Is there a difference between the cool harness and simply installing a resistor at the coolant temp sensor?

gsxr
08-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Is there a difference between the cool harness and simply installing a resistor at the coolant temp sensor?
Very little difference. The CoolHarness is plug & play and easily removable. Adding a resistor is a bit more work to install and remove.

gerryvz
08-19-2010, 08:18 AM
The CoolHarness uses a nice housing to cover the resistor and it's plug and play as Dave says, but it's very much the same thing as just soldering a resistor into the circuit. He offers several different temp levels (different ohm-age on the resistor) for the fan to kick on which is nice, as well.

I'm going to get a CoolHarness for my wife's 95 E320 wagon, as it runs hotter than my others cars do here in the Houston heat. Be interesting to experiment with it. I'll probably get the middle-level unit.

SIDE NOTE - MY OPINION ONLY: I think the CoolHarness is quite overpriced for what you get, but the guy is providing it as a service to the community. In the past when I've offered reproduction parts to the community, I've generally offered them at my cost with about a 5% profit built in for my time and effort.

Here's an example of such: the unobtainium factory-pattern reproduction 300SEL 6.3 oilpan skidplate kits for the W109 chassis. I sold these for $325 complete, and sold the full production run I had commissioned of 25 kits. I had to front nearly $8,000 UP FRONT to have these kits made, and I netted a whopping USD $10.00 profit on each kit. It was a labor of love, and I'd do it again.

http://homepage.mac.com/gerryvz/skidplate_web.pdf

Cheers,
Gerry

szvook
08-19-2010, 12:17 PM
I think you guys have convinced me to install the cool harness. Could you tell me where can I get it. I've found this email adress (jforgioneatprodigy.net) at K6JRF Auto Page but I don't know if it's updated. Any other sources?

Thanks.
jforgione@prodigy.net from http://www.k6jrf.com/MB_S500.html is all you need. You could buy them from the listed shops on Jim’s site, but the prices will be what the shops will charge.

Mr. MB Motors: Enrique is the owner, shop phone - 818.708.8086
5557 'A' Reseda Blvd
Tarzana, CA 91356

Bell Mercedes
51 East Ridgewood Ave
Paramus, NJ 07652

Exclusive Motors
8441 Miracrest Place
San Diego, CA 92121

szvook
08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
The prices were lower when I got my harness 5 years ago, I think I paid $30+shipping. Nowadays, Jim expanded his range and has two types of harness to fit other cars (from earlier 1987 to 1995 models and 1995 through 1999 models) and my bet is the interest in them as well as the economy in the past years has driven the price up. Having said that, today’s price is a bit on the higher side for such a part but imho it’s not too expensive to have your car protected at any time and like Gerry said, it is a good service to us all. :cheers3:

When I got mine, I got one for my service mechanic’s personal SL500 as a gift and after trying it out he immediately ordered 5 more harnesses since he had a lot of customers whose cars were running hot in the summer. Needless to say, a short time later, Jim had three shops listed on his site that now carry the harness in: Tarzana, CA - Paramus, NJ and San Diego, CA.

Just think…if Renntech made one of these, the price could have been in the hundreds.

gerryvz
08-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Just think…if Renntech made one of these, the price could have been in the hundreds.

Truer words have never been spoken......

:woot:

500ESpain
08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I've finally ordered two CH this afternoon. 125$ including shipping costs to Spain and they were sent one just one hour after payment. Quite a nice guy Jim.

I agree that they are a little bit two expensive but I prefer these CH instead of soldering the resistor. I think is a tidier solution.

gerryvz
08-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Looks like our little low-mileage baby got the AutoBlog "eBay Find of the Day" award...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/23/ebay ... 500e-is-t/ (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/23/ebay-find-of-the-day-porsche-built-1992-mercedes-benz-500e-is-t/)

Cheers,
Gerry

Yg5xt0Mk56k

Bondavi
10-06-2010, 03:09 AM
What I don't like is the fact the odo was reset prior to photos, so one can't see if the tripmeter works.

AND....the fact there's a white mark on the upper right of the speedometer face. Usually that happens when speedos have been replaced (i.e. Euro km/h to US MPH), but this is a U.S. spec car.

Hmm. Very nice otherwise...