PDA

View Full Version : Odometer repair

gerryvz
08-30-2010, 02:14 PM
In case your odometer ever needs repair (the gears inside the odo tend to crumble with age), there is a source for replacement gears, and you can repair the odo yourself.

The company is called:
Odometer Gears, Ltd.
72 Croatian Road
Newport News, VA 23606
(757) 593-3478
sales@odometergears.com

You can find the gears here:
http://www.odometergears.com/mercedes.html

The process for repairing your odo is here:
http://www.odometergears.com/VDO_MotoMe ... ement.html (http://www.odometergears.com/VDO_MotoMeter_Gear_Replacement.html)

This company also sells the large gears for the "mono blade" windshield wipers for our cars, that also often fail due to age, use and exposure to the elements. They are available at the above link, bottom of the page.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Cheers,
Gerry

peets500
10-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the links. My odometer and trip counter are not moving, although speedometer needle works fine. Maybe it's just the gears which are broken.

fudgitive
11-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Excellent, I need to order one of these sets - but does anybody know the tooth count of E3 (refer to Gerry's link) in a standard Euro spec '92 500E speedo? I am being lazy I know, but it would save me pulling it apart just to count the teeth and then again when the parts arrive.

DarkStar
03-09-2012, 11:23 AM
A few years ago I purchased a large wiper gear and repaired my monoblade. It went well. Last year I purchased their odo gearset for the 500E. I carefully removed, cleaned and installed the new gears. I haven't been happy with them due to noise. I tried 4 different grease brands but have not
found one that will quiet the tick...tick...tick for more than a few weeks (few hundred miles).....then it starts again.

I think there is too much play on the motor gear (pinion?) to the other gears in the set. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution.

gsxr
03-09-2012, 11:31 AM
All my odometers on the electronic speedos (400E/500E) have 'jerky' movement and make a very faint tick-tick noise. I've just learned to ignore it. No idea if there is a fix available other than turning up the radio.

:(

DarkStar
03-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Dave - the guys that sell claim it will quiet with grease, and it does but not for long. I need to find stickier grease... I also don't think the pinion gear is as good a fit as the OEM. Drives me nuts to listen to it....I don't have tunes to cover it up with. One more project...

Fudgitive - My car used 18 tooth gear. Not sure if that is different for a Eurospec car.

samiam44
10-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Gerry,

That's great that they sell mono wiper gears too. You use to be able to buy all the vdo gears - not easy. In the late 80's early 90's, they were color coded for #teeth. We had all the colors and it was only a few dollars each, plus time to R&R the speedometer.
I put their gears in my old dodge truck in 2007 and they still work.

You might want to tag the mono gear information to another thread. I just read this..

Michael