PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch my Remus exhaust back to stock?

janos_z
01-27-2015, 11:49 PM
I'm thinking of re-installing stock exhaust tips to replace the Remus tips my car currently has. I assume this would be a pretty easy and inexpensive thing to do -- or does it require more extensive surgery? Has anyone gone back to stock exhaust from Remus? Was it a good idea, or did you regret it?

The other change I'm considering is AMG Monoblocks -- specifically Aero IIs. Still on the fence about that one, though.

Sorry this isn't a particularly clever or creative post -- I'm just selfishly hoping to harness your collective wisdom! :D

Maui
01-27-2015, 11:54 PM
I'm sure most will say go stock but I like the Remus tips.

Glen
01-28-2015, 12:28 AM
What is it about the Remus you don't like? The style or the sound?

TerryA
01-28-2015, 12:40 AM
Janos,

Is it a complete Remus muffler or just the tips? Complete back box would normally just replace the stock 500e muffler back to the stock resonator. That is just 3 bolts at the resonator flange and the 2 rubber donut hangers.

If if the stock resonator is gone then you will have to determine what else is necessary. I have a Time Valve Y-Pipe that replaces the stock resonator that is the only bolt up resonator replacement that I am aware of. Everything else would have probably been welded in and would require a muffler shop to switch out.

If you don't want the Remus anymore PM me I would be interested in aquiring it.

Take Care

janos_z
01-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm fairly certain it's the whole exhaust, but I'll check for sure. I was hoping to replace as little of it as necessary to get a stock look.

I'd be replacing the system for cosmetic reasons. It sounds great, especially under acceleration! Then again, I think the OEM exhaust also sounds pretty nice at WOT.

gsxr
01-28-2015, 05:41 PM
I have a Remus on one car. I like the sound and it looks pretty nice too. My complaints are that the Remus is quite a bit heavier than stock, and the tips hang low enough to drag on the pavement driving across dips in the pavement (i.e., parking lot entrances, or some intersections). Have to be careful backing into parking spots as well.

Stock muffler is nearly silent, and invisible too. Great for a stealth approach, but there is no aural excitement. It's surprisingly light.

If you don't have problems with it scraping, and you like the sound, I'd leave it on the car.

:seesaw:

maw1124
01-28-2015, 05:44 PM
I feel your pain. Your car is a virtual twin of mine. When I first did the exhaust, I went with twin, rounded square tips. I didn't like it -- thought it called too much attention unto itself. Of course everyone could hear it, and no one wanted to believe it was "grandma's Mercedes" but the tips gave it away. I went back to my exhaust guys, had them cut the tips in favor of a single turn down outlet pipe from the muffler, painted black. Now nothing but the movement of the car ties "grandmas Mercedes" to that brute of an exhaust sound people hear.

Hopefully your modification in as simple as the back box, or cat back. In such case, you can likely sell the Remus bits for what you pay for the new stuff -- and keep the sound. If you go stock, you'll lose the sound and pick up weight. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

maw

Stevester 500E
01-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Keep the Remus. Go with the 18" AMG Monoblocks, good choice. I just picked up a set of 18" Mono's myself.
I have my finger on the trigger for the 5thcalracer exhaust and the group buy rear swaybar.

AMGTesTDriverNJ
01-28-2015, 11:00 PM
Why doesn't anyone have the Eisenmann muffler?

kwontumspeed
01-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Why doesn't anyone have the Eisenmann muffler?

Because it's wicked expensive for just the box. Something like $1500 before landing across the pond. But who knows, with the strength of the dollar that may have gone down...but I'm guessing it's still above $1K which is still way too much for just the box. It looks and sounds amazing, though.

Bogeyman
01-29-2015, 09:06 AM
My '93 has the Eisenmann muffler.

AMGTesTDriverNJ
01-29-2015, 03:54 PM
No kidding? Could I convince you to make a video? I'd love to hear inside/outside acceleration with this muffler! I shelled out for a new Eisenmann on my CL55 years back and I really enjoy it. If I swapped my 500E box it would only be for this muffler but I've never heard it before. I would be most grateful ;)

Bogeyman
01-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Sure, but you'll have to wait awhile.
The car is put away for winter now. Probably will come out around April 1.