PDA

View Full Version : Gerry's Engine and Engine Bay

Ron500E
02-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Should Gerry start a Wiki on how to clean and detail the engine compartment?
Yes.
No.

J-Sauce
02-01-2015, 10:57 PM
I say Jeff does one.

gerryvz
02-01-2015, 10:57 PM
captruff+600Eric, indeed.

Ron500E
02-01-2015, 11:13 PM
captruff+600Eric, indeed.

All three of you then !

R

gerryvz
02-01-2015, 11:21 PM
I don't know, the reflection from the flash in that photo of the engine bay in J-Sauce's signature hurts my eyes.

Must be some sort of "bro" shine on there.....

clarkz71
02-02-2015, 06:04 AM
Wiki: brakleen (non chlorinated) and "bro shine" dressing.

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 06:19 AM
"bro shine" dressing.Are you talking about "Gerry curl" ???

clarkz71
02-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Are you talking about "Gerry curl" ???

No, it's called "Soul Glo"

Coming to America, Eddie Murphy.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/02/13.jpg

02-02-2015, 06:47 AM
I don't much care which product Gerry is using because if it only takes 15 minutes, then I think I can manage it.

clarkz71
02-02-2015, 06:57 AM
I to would like to see 15 minutes, maybe a video of him doing it.

bing
02-02-2015, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't bother with Gerry! From previous comments he likes to use his cars , so a bit of grime here and there, bumps and graze is what comes with it. Who knows he may even end up with Patina look someday :D;).

Now if it's a wiki on How to write a HOW TO , then he wins my vote. !

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 08:02 AM
If you guys can't clean your engine bays and need a friggin' HOW-TO on the topic, then I think y'all have larger issues.

Here's a good HOW-TO on how to clean things up:

IAvGul_H-rg

Trae
02-02-2015, 08:42 AM
We all want to see if the tail can wag the dog. . .

In other words, can we, the subordinates, compel the Allied Supreme Commander to do yet another "how to?""

I don't do anything unless GVZ makes a "how to" (along with all tools and parts needed) and walks me through the procedure. You know, it is the FEAR factor that I might mess something up.

I know, eventually, that I will have to just grow up and (gasp) look up my own part number, search for "other" how to's, and generally fin for myself,

but I am a Toys or US kid at heart and don't want to grow up!

For now, I'll just continue learning from the professionals, because I am still a beginner.

As Shultz would say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

clarkz71
02-02-2015, 08:48 AM
If you guys can't clean your engine bays and need a friggin' HOW-TO on the topic, then I think y'all have larger issues.

Here's a good HOW-TO on how to clean things up:

We want to see the "products" you use in action.

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 08:51 AM
We want to see the "products" you use in action.How about this?

TAbec_xzUyo

http://catalog.crcindustries.com/app.php?RelId=6.4.7.2

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Here's another great option. :agree:

http://k6jrf.com/MB_detail.html

This ought to REALLY blind Vader for the rest of the day.....:stickpoke:

clarkz71
02-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Here's another great option. :agree:

http://k6jrf.com/MB_detail.html

This ought to REALLY blind Vader for the rest of the day.....:stickpoke:

Tire shine, I knew that's what you used.

On Brakleen, I've been using that for over 20 years, maybe longer.

Not for detailing, but to diagnose oil leaks. No baby powder here.

We would spray down the wet area, run the car on a lift and keep spraying until we pin pointed
where the leak was originating from.

Also good for wiping down the gasket flange on cylinder head covers.
Really helps the rubber gasket stay in place.

maduell
02-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Really helps the rubber gasket stay in place.

:beerchug:

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Tire shine, I knew that's what you used.

On Brakleen, I've been using that for over 20 years, maybe longer.

Not for detailing, but to diagnose oil leaks. No baby powder here.

We would spray down the wet area, run the car on a lift and keep spraying until we pin pointed
where the leak was originating from.

Really helps the rubber gasket stay in place.Clark, I never said I used/use either of those products for cleaning my engine. I just noted that they are potential options.

clarkz71
02-02-2015, 09:51 AM
But you're the Rick Perry brakleen king.............. cases from Zoro

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 09:59 AM
But you're the Rick Perry brakleen king.............. cases from ZoroYou should purchase Kent's on-demand engine bay cleaning video and "enlighten" yourself :teufel:

:clarkz3:

clarkz71
02-02-2015, 10:05 AM
You should purchase Kent's on-demand engine bay cleaning video and "enlighten" yourself :teufel:

:clarkz3:

I appreciate your concern, but I've been cleaning and detailing MB engine compartments
since before you bought your first MB. Over 30 years in fact.

When I started in 82, part of the 30K service was cleaning and detailing the entire engine bay.
So I learned back then what works and what doesn't. We used pure silicone spay on plastic parts

I believe it was 3M brand, held up well.

And as far as Kent's video's................. please...... No offense to Dave.

spaceman_west
02-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Should Gerry start a Wiki on how to clean and detail the engine compartment?
Yes.
No.

definitely!

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 10:08 AM
I appreciate your concern, but I've been cleaning and detailing MB engine compartments
since before you bought your first MB. Over 30 years in fact.That's good, I was kind of worried there that perhaps your knowledge wasn't "current" and up to date on this stuff. :x

samiam44
02-02-2015, 10:11 AM
lots of tongue and cheek here- but really. Underneath when the oil residue gets that dirt caked on it's very hard to remove. It's hard film. Scrubbing with solvent seems abrasive to the paint. It doesn't loosen up with brakekleen. I think it needs soaking with something with a slower evaporation point. Maybe spray it down with kerosene?

Moved away from Brakekleen and use aerospace grade isopropyl alcohol. It's $80/5 gallons and a spray bottle.

M

maduell
02-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Underneath when the oil residue gets that dirt caked on it's very hard to remove. It's hard film. Scrubbing with solvent seems abrasive to the paint. It doesn't loosen up with brakekleen. I think it needs soaking with something with a slower evaporation point. Maybe spray it down with kerosene?

Moved away from Brakekleen and use aerospace grade isopropyl alcohol. It's $80/5 gallons and a spray bottle.

MHow about the finish on head covers? I am always careful about using anything that might harm the paint/finish.

nocfn
02-02-2015, 11:37 AM
thanks for the chuckles.....

600Eric
02-02-2015, 12:31 PM
All three of you then !

R

To quote Jeff's at the 2013 Legends of the Autobahn:

Spectator admiring his 500E - "Do you mind me asking how you keep your engine compartment so clean?"

Jeff (after a few pints of Spaten) - "We'll.... I guess the best way is really to not let it get dirty in the first place"

So although I definitely have a mild case of OCD and keep my cars (and especially the engines) ridiculously clean, Jeff is definitely "the master" in this department. All I can tell you is there is definitely some validity to his claim, you just need to stay on top of it and not let it get too bad.

My daily driver:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/02/15.jpg

luckymike
02-02-2015, 12:37 PM
I use a fairly weak solution of Simple Green and a toothbrush, then a spray bottle with water to rinse. After everything is clean, I use 303 Protectant on most everything. It puts a fantastic luster, but not shine, on rubber and plastic. And it lasts a long time. I use it on the rear view mirror rubber, dash and steering wheel horn push. UV protection, too. It's expensive but very worth it, in my experience.

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 12:51 PM
303 Protectant is excellent for dashboards, 124/126 door mirror boots, and so forth. A quarterly application I have found, works quite well.

However, I would not recommend the use of Simple Green, even significantly diluted, on engine & underhood components because it is not compatible with aluminum components. It is also NOT good for painted components.

If you leave Simple Green on aluminum or painted components, it will corrode (eat) them. At minimum, turn aluminum into a dull, grayish color. And it is difficult to remove once applied, because it wicks into holes and difficult-to-reach places.

I know many folks dilute SG 50-50 or even more, and use it for cleaning. I think it's great for some things, but don't let it near my engine bay or aluminum components. I've seen it PERSONALLY dull out aluminum stuff.

Cheers,
Gerry

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 12:55 PM
To quote Jeff's at the 2013 Legends of the Autobahn:

Spectator admiring his 500E - "Do you mind me asking how you keep your engine compartment so clean?"

Jeff (after a few pints of Spaten) - "We'll.... I guess the best way is really to not let it get dirty in the first place"

So although I definitely have a mild case of OCD and keep my cars (and especially the engines) ridiculously clean, Jeff is definitely "the master" in this department. All I can tell you is there is definitely some validity to his claim, you just need to stay on top of it and not let it get too bad.

My daily driver:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/02/15.jpgMy eyes....my eyes !!!

U7BglTGucQ

clarkz71
02-02-2015, 01:02 PM
My eyes....my eyes !!!

That's no where near as "bro'd up" as yours.

Klink
02-02-2015, 01:36 PM
"Turkish?" "Bro?" Same slights, different continents?

Stevester 500E
02-02-2015, 02:30 PM
I can vouch for the head honcho, never use simple green, especially on painted surfaces.

From personal experience, it softens the paint and seems to make it more susceptible to oil and grime "stains".

I cleaned the underside of a hood (not an MB car) and it did clean the surface fairly well. But for a while, it felt as if the paint was a paint that never cured. It had no shine to it any longer and the next time I went to clean is, the paint just got grease and oil smudges.

If you want a clean engine that you can eat off of, I suggest using mild cleaners and an a very soft tooth brush and a micro fiber towel. Have on hand a box of q-tips, plastic picks and anything else your OCD mind can think of.

Personally, I have learned by the school of hard knocks to control the OCD and just drive the damn car.

Clean the engine when looking for leaks is good. But after the leak is fixed, drive the car-unless it's a show car.

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Don't forget the brake cleaner & hair spray combination, Stevester !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarkz71
02-02-2015, 03:04 PM
However, I would not recommend the use of Simple Green, even significantly diluted, on engine & underhood components because it is not compatible with aluminum components. It is also NOT good for painted components.

If you leave Simple Green on aluminum or painted components, it will corrode (eat) them. At minimum, turn aluminum into a dull, grayish color. And it is difficult to remove once applied, because it wicks into holes and difficult-to-reach places.

I know many folks dilute SG 50-50 or even more, and use it for cleaning. I think it's great for some things, but don't let it near my engine bay or aluminum components. I've seen it PERSONALLY dull out aluminum stuff.

Cheers,
Gerry

My experience is the opposite

I started using Simple Green in 1985 on my Motorcycles

You must follow the directions, when you do it works great. I've used it on everything.

One thing I do is not let it sit, apply scrub/brush as needed the rinse.

And never apply on anything but a cold engine/wheels what ever.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/02/4.png

Glen
02-02-2015, 03:19 PM
My experience is the opposite

I started using Simple Green in 1985 on my Motorcycles

You must follow the directions, when you do it works great. I've used it on everything.

One thing I do is not let it sit, apply scrub/brush as needed the rinse.

And never apply on anything but a cold engine/wheels what ever.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/02/4.png

+1. I've used SG on aluminum with good results too. I think it was in the aircraft industry that they found SG to be a problem with aluminum, specifically where sheets of aluminum are joined. SG would wick between the layers and cause corrosion between the sheets.

Having said that, these days I more often use ZEP Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser, I think it works better then SG for grease/grime removal.

clarkz71
02-02-2015, 03:25 PM
I've used Zep products before, they are very good.

Good enough that Northrop Grumman uses their stuff, my ex father in law worked for Grumman on Long Island
He always brought home their products.

I'll have to try that Citrus stuff.

maduell
02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
I like Simple Green as well. Definitely only on COLD metals...and must keep surface wet at all times or is can be corrosive. Stocked up on this today...can't ever have enough...$3.79/can at Home Cheapo:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/02/16.jpg

gsxr
02-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Proper cleaning procedure:

1) Remove engine
2) Clean engine
3) Install engine

:5150:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2012/12/131.jpg

600Eric
02-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Proper cleaning procedure:

1) Remove engine
2) Clean engine
3) Install engine

:5150:

IumBp15irvM

nocfn
02-02-2015, 07:50 PM
zep window cleaner works fantastic on a clean rag, then for stains on the carpet. I used it to clean some W126 stains on the fabric on the window /door run of the car. Works very well for stains, no ammonia either.

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Stocked up on this today...can't ever have enough...$3.79/can at Home Cheapo:Stuff's as good as ductape, except it's in a can. Dayum, that's a good price, and my local 'Cheapot has 14 cans in stock, and the other near one has 12 cans. I could use another case to join the two I bought from Zoro.

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 08:10 PM
This Paul Mitchell extra body "finishing spray" works well after a good cleaning. You just spray it on the motor like shellac for that extra-brilliant "gerry curl" bro-juice shine.

Smells good, too...:agree:

Sorry guys, I just don't "do" Simple Green for engine bay stuff. Works great around the house, for cleaning under-engine cladding, wheel well insides, garage floor, etc. But I just won't let it around aluminum.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/02/17.jpg

Stevester 500E
02-02-2015, 08:26 PM
He makes great points.

I blasted the lower portion of the engine at the car wash, water splashed on top of the valve cover (M104), and just enough water found its way to a coil or two, and my car ran like crap until someone here on this site suggested I blow the water out.

Brakleen (red can) works great, but heavy sludge should be brushed or scraped off first.

How about this?

TAbec_xzUyo

http://catalog.crcindustries.com/app.php?RelId=6.4.7.2

Stevester 500E
02-02-2015, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't use it on a painted surfaces either. I just don't know what the right dilution ratio is a "safe on paint" ratio. It removes wax from painted surfaces, which can be a pro, but I consider it a con.

This Paul Mitchell extra body "finishing spray" works well after a good cleaning. You just spray it on the motor like shellac for that extra-brilliant "gerry curl" bro-juice shine.

Smells good, too...:agree:

Sorry guys, I just don't "do" Simple Green for engine bay stuff. Works great around the house, for cleaning under-engine cladding, wheel well insides, garage floor, etc. But I just won't let it around aluminum.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/02/17.jpg

gerryvz
02-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Stevester, I'm gonna go meet that guy and give him a big bear hug. He's a fellow lover of chlorinated CRC-brand Brakleen !!!

Stevester 500E
02-02-2015, 08:56 PM
The original Gunk engine degreaser was the best.
Spray the 66 Plymouth engine, let it bubble and fizz, and when the fizz subsided, rinsed, bam !

clarkz71
02-03-2015, 09:02 AM
OK, I found Gerry's secret "BRO shine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ffzI2czHs#t=13

gerryvz
02-03-2015, 09:09 AM
OK, I found Gerry's secret "BRO shine"That Frederick Douglass guy actually sounds, and carries himself, almost exactly like Klink.

gerryvz
02-07-2015, 08:08 PM
FYI: I am offering "Bro Shine" services from now on, as an optional and free service for all parts I sell.

Ascension
02-07-2015, 09:22 PM
That Frederick Douglass guy actually sounds, and carries himself, almost exactly like Klink.

If Klink carries himself like Fredrick Douglass he must be quite the man. One of my all time role models and political heroes is Fredrick Douglass!! To be born a slave run away self educate become one of the founders of the Republican Party then go on to become the personal adviser to 5 US sitting Presidents is one of history's most inspiring story's!

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle! Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Fredrick Douglass

gerryvz
02-07-2015, 09:41 PM
To meet Klink is to meet a true and rare gift of a human being.

Maui
02-07-2015, 11:03 PM
+1 Mr. Klink has assisted me on several occasions taking my phone calls and providing sound advice. I do hope to meet him in person one day.

Klink
02-07-2015, 11:25 PM
That Frederick Douglass guy actually sounds, and carries himself, almost exactly like Klink.

LOL, Frederick and I certainly have the same hair and beard! Unfortunately, I don't think that I measure up to his regal demeanor, and certainly not up to is positively humbling level of achievement and intellect...