PDA

View Full Version : General opinion /view on "emblem tuning"

lowman
10-29-2015, 05:05 PM
hey there people

Maybe abit weird this thread..but i reallly want to know..what is the general opinion about "emblem tuning"?
putting Amg....Brabus..Carlsson....and so...emblems on the car if its just for the Cosmetic appearance...or and maybe just because of giving a hint of maybe just small details that are either Amg ,,,brabus..and such...

im asking cause im in the progress of maybe putting some more AMG stuff...and emblems on the car...and wanted to know what people in general think about these kind of upgrades.

i really dont care in some way..what people think..as its my car...n stuff...but always nice with other peoples views and opinions.

cheers people :)

makemann
10-29-2015, 05:54 PM
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/10/181.jpg
Need I say more?
:-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nocfn
10-29-2015, 05:57 PM
I went the PM route, but that's what I said in the spirit of essence conveyed by that Pic.

Glen
10-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Not a fan of badge tuning.

I don't encourage it but replacing a "500E" trunk badge with "200E" is amusing :-)

lowman
10-29-2015, 06:55 PM
hehehehehe like all of your inputs :)
and i find them funny as hell :)
But..i also think that there IS a difference in the emblem tuning "world" too....
it could go from MORE to LESS.....engine emblem wise...or it could go from LESS....to MORE....like a e200 ..beeing badged as a e500....now THAT is the badge tuning that i think most people DO NOT like..

i really feel when it comes to "tuners "badges...i think it can be both good and bad...i mean...when has any of the Mercedes tuners been a BAD "thing"...to stick on your car...but it also depends on "WHY" you are rebadging it....i mean..if you do have Brabus wheels and different _Brabus stuff on....why is it bad to have a BRABUS badge on it...no one has ever said that to be a brabus..it HAS to be equipped with a BRABUS engine to be in someway "allowed" to put on a badge...or even get away with having a BRABUS badge on it....same goes for all tuner brands i think.

I mean new cars today...f ex Mercedes....they can come equipped with only the AMG exteriour pack..and to me..thats allright...and i dont see the problem with it having the AMG badge on the trunk lid.....

is it NOT amusing beeing personally "in love" with a brand of tuner.?
..why is that LESS amusing ..than go the other way around..and rebadge a car DOWNWARDS?...FROM e500...to an e200...or 300TDT...

But i know its a matter of personal taste...and i really just wanted to know you guys different views on the matter :)

makemann
10-29-2015, 07:03 PM
In my usual way, I was being a smart ass with the Mona Lisa gag photo, but in all seriousness, I feel that your car is too beautiful to tattoo it with badges that may not be original or appropriate to your car.

Love watching your videos by the way. Keep them coming. Please just don't create a "how-to add emblems" video!

7delta
10-29-2015, 07:32 PM
Badge tuning is like a women wearing excess make up, to look what she thinks is beautiful. ....I think you know where in going with this..... But, in the end it's her decision.
[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Klink
10-29-2015, 08:44 PM
I'm talking only about badges here. I am OK with body kits, etc. unless they are obviously done by an individual trying to convince others, and even more likely, himself, that he owns an automobile that he doesn't, which once again usually involves peppering the car with inappropriate badges.

Overall, I hate it with a purple passion.

200 on the 500 trunk is OK. Everything else is greasy kid stuff. :limp:

It's always the same idiot the blinds everybody on perfectly clear nights with his rear fog light, which doesn't even make his car look "cool" to the innocents that he is trying to impress. They simply think he has a bulb burnt out and is too stupid to know, or too inept to know how to replace it...

That being said, it's YOUR car. If you like it, I also like it for you.

To borrow something from religion, it is OK to hate the badge tuning, but remember to love the badge tuner...
:klink:

Klink
10-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Badge tuning is like a women wearing excess make up, to look what she thinks is beautiful. ....I think you know where in going with this..... But, in the end it's her decision.
[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Which made me think about "performance" badge tuning. Is there a way to give a car the "Crocodile Dundee test?

2phast
10-29-2015, 09:00 PM
I have AMG and Brabus parts on my car, but would never consider putting a AMG or Brabus emblem on it. If it wasn't built and/or tuned by them, then no emblem.

Also prefer a clean, more refined look, hence why no 500e emblem. When I owned a C36, I was tempted to remove the C36 and AMG emblems also for a more refined look. Decided against it due to it WAS an AMG built car.

My CLK320 (CLK32K) on the other hand, was loaded down with Lorinser emblems from the previous owner. Too many for my taste. Removed most of them but left the CLK32k and Lorinser emblems on the trunk and Lorinser emblems on the front fenders. Wasn't tuned by Lorinser, but had pretty much every part Lorinser made for the CLK.

Maui
10-29-2015, 09:42 PM
It's like a fat girl in yoga pants.

:whack:

nocfn
10-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Now that's a visual suitable for birth control!!

DerFuror
10-29-2015, 10:37 PM
.what is the general opinion about "emblem tuning"?

i really dont care in some way..what people think..as its my car...n stuff...but always nice with other peoples views and opinions.

Emblem tuning
Emblem tuners try to rationalize the following credo as generally acceptable; “If the car has 3 of the tuners items on it, the car is deserving of a badge”. Example: (1) wheels, (2) air box, (3) exhaust tips.

Emblem “tuning” – Unless the car’s engine is “tuned” by the Company represented by the Emblem, both the car & owner are fake.

Badging
ACCEPTABLE (and quite rewarding)- Downbadging (a.k.a. Q-Shipping) a car. Example: 300E (…or better yet, 260E) badge on a 500E

UNACCEPTABLE – Upbadging a car. Example: 500E badge on a 300E

Upbadgers are dispatched with extreme prejudice.

2phast
10-29-2015, 11:29 PM
Emblem tuning
Emblem tuners try to rationalize the following credo as generally acceptable; “If the car has 3 of the tuners items on it, the car is deserving of a badge”. Example: (1) wheels, (2) air box, (3) exhaust tips.

Emblem “tuning” – Unless the car’s engine is “tuned” by the Company represented by the Emblem, both the car & owner are fake.

Badging
ACCEPTABLE (and quite rewarding)- Downbadging (a.k.a. Q-Shipping) a car. Example: 300E (…or better yet, 260E) badge on a 500E

UNACCEPTABLE – Upbadging a car. Example: 500E badge on a 300E

Upbadgers are dispatched with extreme prejudice.

Around 1986-87 time frame, you had to actually purchase three AMG parts before the distributor would sell you an AMG emblem. That program didn't last too long though, then you saw AMG emblems on all sorts of cars. At the time, it was hilarious to see an AMG emblem on a Japanese car.

Taxi Driver
10-30-2015, 03:53 AM
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/10/181.jpg
Need I say more?
:-)

But, with the E60LH 6liter upfront, AMG 300km/h speedo inside and period Aero ll rims. I'm tempted to hail with the ///AMG/// at the butt.

PS NO I would never go fake E60 ( btw a Bimmer, designation) cloning, maybe a 500E 6.0 but not sure about that Roger

Rouven036
10-30-2015, 05:26 AM
I m not a friend of badges at all. I mean nowadays a AMG badge is to be seen almost everywhere. Here in the region the dealers even put them on AMG line cars to make a difference and cash in more money probably too. Also in the middle east it is famous to upgrade your car by a AMG body kit (even with cheap Taiwanese knock offs) and put a 63 or 55 badge on it. Down-badging a 500 also doesn't work due to the body style. But a 400 will go even with a 200D badge . So my opinion is either Down-badging or total de-badging.
On the other side I kept the badges on my Evos since they came equipped with them. The 500 had the factory delete option for the badges

Melville
10-30-2015, 06:03 AM
Around 1986-87 time frame, you had to actually purchase three AMG parts before the distributor would sell you an AMG emblem. That program didn't last too long though, then you saw AMG emblems on all sorts of cars. At the time, it was hilarious to see an AMG emblem on a Japanese car.

Not all AMG badges on a Japanese car would be wrong:

http://jalopnik.com/5963503/forgotten-cars-anyone-remember-the-time-amg-did-up-a-mitsubishi

About badging, it could make a car "harry" (to use a Norwegian term) if the badge isn't genuine.

Klink
10-30-2015, 08:34 AM

http://jalopnik.com/5963503/forgotten-cars-anyone-remember-the-time-amg-did-up-a-mitsubishi

About badging, it could make a car "harry" (to use a Norwegian term) if the badge isn't genuine.

Indeed! Though some may see that as "the exception that proves the rule" that is a completely legitimate use of a badge, though it seems kind of like a Japanese version of the "Chrysler TC"...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_TC_by_Maserati

doolar
10-30-2015, 08:43 AM
I debadged my 034 recently, just the Sportline and E420 emblems. Much cleaner! I have a new E200 badge in my garage, pondering... But I really like the clean look.

Any AMG or Brabus are quite not ok in my book, unless the car is tuned by the companies. Modern AMG badged standard Mercedes is just a warning signal to me, it means a horrible ride without the power to back it up.

Why would anybody want a slowish family car with a rock hard ride? I just don't get it. Very many C class are sold new in Sweden with AMG sports suspension and to big wheels, and "cool" emblems to (and on the) boot.

Taxi Driver
10-30-2015, 10:40 AM
I debadged my 034 recently, just the Sportline and E420 emblems. Much cleaner! I have a new E200 badge in my garage, pondering... But I really like the clean look.

Any AMG or Brabus are quite not ok in my book, unless the car is tuned by the companies. Modern AMG badged standard Mercedes is just a warning signal to me, it means a horrible ride without the power to back it up.

Why would anybody want a slowish family car with a rock hard ride? I just don't get it. Very many C class are sold new in Sweden with AMG sports suspension and to big wheels, and "cool" emblems to (and on the) boot.

Objection! As owner of one C43 and one E50 and also the upgraded 500E---brakes/suspension/motor, no *family car* anyone but I say, comfortable ride
with handling, I mean, they do what you intended without acting unintentionally.
If I wanted to isolate myself from the World around me, I would go for the W140 500/600

PS I almost did buy one S500 '97 but settled for the E50..........Roger

lowman
10-30-2015, 10:47 AM
In my usual way, I was being a smart ass with the Mona Lisa gag photo, but in all seriousness, I feel that your car is too beautiful to tattoo it with badges that may not be original or appropriate to your car.

Love watching your videos by the way. Keep them coming. Please just don't create a "how-to add emblems" video!

"evil laaaugh" maybe i WILL make a video of the event just in case someone wants to do the same thing to their car :)

Thank you mate for kind Words. i Apreaciate feedback :)

lowman
10-30-2015, 10:54 AM
if im gonna say something about this stuff..it has to be about downbadging ....that is really a "weird" thing i think.....that is even more of a show off i think..because then you are most likely a dude that wants to "show off" when someone tries to "overtake" you on the road...which is at least not where i am at.

but when it comes to stuff you guys are saying..i definetly agree With every view point..and i also disagree...as it all comes Down to WHAT Your definition of the "Badge" is..
I will never "badge" my car as ...say..a E60 AMG.That is NOT where im at...im more in the area of having some "hints" or "tribute" to an awesome Company,,,and obiviously i would not do it if there was NO parts from that Company on the car.

In my world...most of the tuners are NOT just Engine tuners...They are for the most part Suppliers/makers of the total package...going from the small details to full on different cars..and my interest in doing this thread..was to see if more People actually did see it the same way...but it seems that most is not :) but thats fine :)

Klink
10-30-2015, 12:40 PM

Objection! As owner of one C43 and one E50 and also the upgraded 500E---brakes/suspension/motor, no *family car* anyone but I say, comfortable ride
with handling, I mean, they do what you intended without acting unintentionally.
If I wanted to isolate myself from the World around me, I would go for the W140 500/600

PS I almost did buy one S500 '97 but settled for the E50..........Roger

I don't want to speak for him, but I think that Thomas was not referring to genuine AMG cars like yours, which are generally pretty civilized and well sorted, but was instead talking about these "AMG look" cars having AMG badges and some rock hard, but otherwise standard suspension, brakes, etc. There's a LOT of those about, way more than there are genuine AMG cars. That's what I believe he was talking about...
:grouphug:

500AMM
10-30-2015, 12:44 PM

Wow - creds to you for that one! :D
It's nice to see that good old expression used in Norway for decades are exceeding the borders.

The car below scores pretty high on what a Harry car looks like from a Norwegian perspective. I didn't say it is ugly, but it's a tad too much creativity...

500AMM
10-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Not a fan of badge tuning.

I don't encourage it but replacing a "500E" trunk badge with "200E" is amusing :-)

I'm talking only about badges here. I am OK with body kits, etc. unless they are obviously done by an individual trying to convince others, and even more likely, himself, that he owns an automobile that he doesn't, which once again usually involves peppering the car with inappropriate badges.

Overall, I hate it with a purple passion.

200 on the 500 trunk is OK. Everything else is greasy kid stuff. :limp:

Here is a "200D" :D

It was imported from UK a 3+ years ago and came up for sale, but I haven't seen it after that.

500AMM
10-30-2015, 01:03 PM
"Badge war" is sooo fun! :banana2:

...but keep in mind that the badge location is in millimeters...:D

Taxi Driver
10-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Yes this was a bit *offtopic* handlng and esp. performance will eventually SHOW first hand, meaning. when that 250D overtakes or hang on to the modern performance cars, you have exposed the secret. So emblem/badge as per factory or delete if you are a bit shy to tell what you have but no downbadging.

Melville
10-30-2015, 01:16 PM
Wow - creds to you for that one! :D
It's nice to see that good old expression used in Norway for decades are exceeding the borders.

The car below scores pretty high on what a Harry car looks like from a Norwegian perspective. I didn't say it is ugly, but it's a tad too much creativity...

My wife is Norwegian and "harry" is a Norwegian slang term that has always fascinated me because there is no good english translation. In fact, I don't really know if I use it properly. To me it means doing something because you think it will look cool but it makes it look worse because it goes too far. Or something like that. I've asked Norwegians for a precise definition and they can't really give one.

No offense meant to lowman by the use of that term. I was just happy to throw out some Norsk!

:arnt:

500AMM
10-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Over to the more serious corner. :oldster: Great thread BTW, thanks Stefan (lowman).

I feel that the most correct is that only documented genuine modified cars should carry a badge expressing their origin. But nowadays it has gone totally off where the general public may not understand what's really behind a tuners badge. So badging will always be an individual perception.

My '92 is modified by AMG to E60 AMG specs, but I'll never put E60 AMG badges on it. However and just in case, what should I put on; AMG? or König Specials due to the supercharging? or Brabus since it has Brabus springs, Brabus Tempamatic and Brabus steering wheel? It's hard to make the correct choice.

-a-

Klink
10-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Here is a "200D" :D

It was imported from UK a 3+ years ago and came up for sale, but I haven't seen it after that.

Featuring unexpectedly good performance, but very disappointing fuel economy...
:124fast:

doolar
10-30-2015, 03:00 PM
I don't want to speak for him, but I think that Thomas was not referring to genuine AMG cars like yours, which are generally pretty civilized and well sorted, but was instead talking about these "AMG look" cars having AMG badges and some rock hard, but otherwise standard suspension, brakes, etc. There's a LOT of those about, way more than there are genuine AMG cars. That's what I believe he was talking about...
:grouphug:

Exactly Klink! What I mean is a new C 180 with AMG sports suspension and an AMG badge on the trunk lid. That's just stupid. If you get a C63 AMG station wagon, well, badge away. :) Or for that matter a C43 or E50. You get my point everybody!

I just had to find an example, heres one of the first C-class estates that is for sale. 156 crazy fast hp, sports suspension and exterior package. Why? (No badge in all fairness)

http://www.blocket.se/angelholm/Mercedes_Benz_C_180_CGI_AMG_Paket__Panorama__63554 011.htm?ca=23_11&w=1

Klink
10-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Exactly Klink! What I mean is a new C 180 with AMG sports suspension and an AMG badge on the trunk lid. That's just stupid. If you get a C63 AMG station wagon, well, badge away. :) Or for that matter a C43 or E50. You get my point everybody!

I just had to find an example, heres one of the first C-class estates that is for sale. 156 crazy fast hp, sports suspension and exterior package. Why? (No badge in all fairness)

http://www.blocket.se/angelholm/Mercedes_Benz_C_180_CGI_AMG_Paket__Panorama__63554 011.htm?ca=23_11&w=1

I work at a new car dealer, Thomas, so I knew exactly what you were talking about.

Rouven036
10-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Over to the more serious corner. :oldster: Great thread BTW, thanks Stefan.

I feel that the most correct is that only documented genuine modified cars should carry a badge expressing their origin. But nowadays it has gone totally off where the general public may not understand what's really behind a tuners badge. So badging will always be an individual perception.

My '92 is modified by AMG to E60 AMG specs, but I'll never put E60 AMG badges on it. However and just in case, what should I put on; AMG? or König Specials due to the supercharging? or Brabus since it has Brabus springs, Brabus Tempamatic and Brabus steering wheel? It's hard to make the correct choice.

-a-

How about to put all the badges on the trunk, so they become a sentence or something just kidding. The whole badging thing is also perceived different by each culture. Where in Germany it might be perceived negative if you appear in a big/powerful car to a business meeting or something similar - like "look at me I got money and don't really need this additional order/job whatever, where it is in the USA (as I know) perceived more positive like look I'm successful and others appreciate /honor it. Also the level of general "jealousiness" of the culture plays a certain roll, where the luxurious cars get more often "keyed"
How far this goes shows this example :
The actual E63 was/is available with a exterior business package, which included a more harmless front and rear bumper design and exhaust tips just out of this reason! Available ex factory as special order. The expert will still see its an amg due to the brakes and big wheels.

500AMM
10-30-2015, 04:45 PM
Thanks, Rouven - I'll debate your proposal seriously.:loony:

I couldn't resist posting the pics below. Sorry for the off-topics Stefan, but fun though.
Taken at the Norwegian annual Motorshow last weekend.

:givemebeer:

lowman
10-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Love it :)

lowman
10-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Hey there boys n (girls) :)

here is a new video for you all :)

Hope you like it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRyWb1rZmb0

makemann
10-31-2015, 03:35 PM
You crack me up. If you really like symmetry, perhaps you should put a 500E badge on the right side of the trunk opposite your E500. Perfection!

So I have to admit to a little emblematic problem with my car...
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/10/183.jpg
My valve stem covers are not OEM.

lowman
10-31-2015, 04:02 PM
You crack me up. If you really like symmetry, perhaps you should put a 500E badge on the right side of the trunk opposite your E500. Perfection!

So I have to admit to a little emblematic problem with my car...

hehehehehe do not give me any ideas..please.hahahahahaha :)

Nice touch right there.always liked the "porsche" "hints"....even though i KNOW not many others do.but i guess it aaalll comes down to WHO you talk to...hehe

lowman
11-01-2015, 05:18 AM
My wife is Norwegian and "harry" is a Norwegian slang term that has always fascinated me because there is no good english translation.

No offense meant to lowman by the use of that term. I was just happy to throw out some Norsk!

:arnt:

hehe hey man :)

To be honest...you could Without no problem transfer the "Harry" slang term...to "Redneck"...its looked up on abit the same way. obviously its not called these "slangs" for the same reasons....but the Peoples "view" will be the same for a redneck..as beeing " harry"

i think at least that would be the closest term :)

Rouven036
11-01-2015, 11:56 AM
I just remembered something and I have to admit that I m a badge tuner too 😰🙊🙈🙉
Got this Porsche badge out of a 986 Boxter interior and stuck it with double side 3m tape in the empty slot of the gear position strip.

lowman
11-01-2015, 04:54 PM
hehehehehehe "laughs" thats just awesome detail!

i like it :)

Allgonquin
11-01-2015, 05:13 PM
There are many trends in the automotive world. Many I don't like, many I do. But to me, a man's car is his castle, so to speak, and if you own your car you are entitled to do what you want with it. You just must be prepared to accept the slings and arrows of others who do not share your view of the world of what looks cool or not, or what is appropriate or not. If you've got a thick skin, badge away. But like politics or religion, rarely will you be able to convince anyone else of the merits of your position unless they share it already.

lowman
11-01-2015, 05:34 PM
There are many trends in the automotive world. Many I don't like, many I do. But to me, a man's car is his castle, so to speak, and if you own your car you are entitled to do what you want with it. You just must be prepared to accept the slings and arrows of others who do not share your view of the world of what looks cool or not, or what is appropriate or not. If you've got a thick skin, badge away. But like politics or religion, rarely will you be able to convince anyone else of the merits of your position unless they share it already.

I agree dude..and like ive pointed out in my video..that is what i think also.

Here is another pic...which i also posted in my thread just know ..in the owners section :)Cheers :)thanx for reply by the way :)
And yes...my skin is thick enough..as im a viking :)
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/11/15.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/lowman28/media/IMAG7371_zpsaw6hucim.jpg.html)

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/11/14.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/lowman28/media/IMAG7380_zpssxccxk7b.jpg.html)

maw1124
11-01-2015, 06:02 PM

But perhaps they should have been...

maw

maw1124
11-01-2015, 06:08 PM
I guess this goes in the category of Emblem [De-]Tuning...

I caught a kid scoping my 500E today as he was walking toward his same color W220 in a grocery mall parking lot. His face said he was wondering "What kinda car is that (looking and sounding like that) and what the hell does MB-PORSH mean?!?!" He couldn't have been more than 25 years old.

So he was trying to wait and read my rear emblem as I passed. Of course, there is no rear emblem on my car, only a FL plate which reads "MB-PORSH" -- the same as the Euro plate out front.

Fiendish, I know, although I care not.

Cheers,

maw

sheward
11-01-2015, 06:36 PM
I haven't watched your latest video yet. Did you cover how you fitted that exhaust? The only way I've seen duals done is by cutting the spare tire well. I think it looks superb. Great pics as well.

drew

lowman
11-02-2015, 03:16 PM
I haven't watched your latest video yet. Did you cover how you fitted that exhaust? The only way I've seen duals done is by cutting the spare tire well. I think it looks superb. Great pics as well.

drew

Thank you so much :)check out the video dude :)

well the exhaust was made by the owner before the previous when the car was in sweden.It is not done in the "proper" way...its a tube that goes across alongside behind the bumper...and turns then 90degrees and out behind the car.But my next BIG plan is to upgrade the exhaust..as it really has seen better days :)but its soooo damn expensive...but im thinking about going the route of the system that "5thscaleracer" on here...can supply...cant remember the name of the company...but i have to save up quite abit of money..as i remember it was like 2800 dollars for the complete system FROM the headers..and its gonna be even more to ship it to norway...so expensive yes :)

Marc R
11-03-2015, 12:38 PM
I think the ///AMG logo is spot on... I feel the E500 kind of deserves this badge

lowman
11-04-2015, 01:30 PM
I think the ///AMG logo is spot on... I feel the E500 kind of deserves this badge

hey dude

well..thanx :) I really think so too,,in every aspect..The e500E is one of the reasons why the whole Amg/Mercedes Benz with big v8 powerlumps were made later on.
But just the look of the "logo" itself..is just awesome i think.

But again..thank you for reply :)