PDA

View Full Version : 1995 E500 buying advice please

dubaipaddy
01-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi Guys. I was hoping I could call upon your expertise with regards to the car below.

She is a 1995 E500 Limited - Black and Greenish interior.

VIN WDB1240361C207479

Odometer says 60,502 km but not sure how real this is. Numbers look a bit misaligned. No service history.

Exterior looks good. Not sure the pictures do it justice. Car was a bit dirty due to recent rain. Paintwork in good condition. A few blemishes and small scratches and bit of paint missing on the rear bumper but other than that should scrub up well. No dents or rust other than minor discoloration the the spare wheel well.

Not sure if the bonnet (hood) is misaligned on one side or not. Bumpers a bit loose but may just be age. One headlight washer not working. Hopefully due to age rather than accident.

Interior looks very good. Seats in very good condition. Not sure every bit of electronninics work (didn't try them all) but seats and sunroof work.

Enginie seems OK. No strange noises as far as I could tell.
VIN and other plate (sorry don't know its correct name at the moment) in engine compartment are screwed on rather than pop riveted. is this correct?

Not sure what else I can say at the moment but would really welcome any feedback you can get from the photos.

Many thanks

Ian

dubaipaddy
01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Additional photos

dubaipaddy
01-22-2011, 10:15 AM
More Photos

dubaipaddy
01-22-2011, 10:22 AM
.................and more

dubaipaddy
01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
some more of the engine

01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi,

From looking at just the Pictures, I have the following points that you may wish to consider :

Its a former German import (Dresden) Saphire Black with Limited Grey Interior.

1- Its pretty missed up!
2 - Forget about 60,000km !
3 - Definite Front end crash due to incorrect lenses, misalignments,missing the wipers, missing brackets.
4 - Check the coolant expansion tank for sludge, as it looks like there is a dark substance in their.
5 - Front end sitting too low, even if it had Sport springs.
6 - Engine temp is too high for this time of year. were the aux fans on?
7 - too many fake switches on console.. (three rear dome light switches !!)
8 - incorrect radio.
9 - No service history is a major issue.

The picture are of low resolution, this really doesn't give us much in term of detail.
But in Conclusion: Try to find a car from a real E500E owner, not some cheap A-hole with 20,000 derhams.

Cheers

T-500
01-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Definitely not a concours car, but it is 16 years old. 60km sounds unlikely, but you know nothing of it's history or maintenance.
I wouldn't dismiss the car, even with a poor front end repair. That can be fixed properly later. the price should reflect the condition, though.
I disagree about the engine temp. It looks fine - normal operating temp.
Also, ride height may be fine depending on springs, spring pads, etc.

As with any Mercedes, take it to a good Mercedes Indie mechanic for a thorough inspection, before buying.
If it has no major mechanical deficiencies, see if you can get the price lowered and take car of the cosmetic stuff yourself.

Maybe the VIN could give some history on this car.

gsxr
01-22-2011, 12:50 PM
1) It definitely has the wrong headlight lenses, and probably the wrong headlamp assemblies. This could indicate a front end crash repair. And as noted the headlight wipers are messed up.

2) I didn't like the looks of the coolant expansion tank either; if there is oil in the coolant that could indicate a blown head gasket ($$$).

3) The front end appears abnormally low, it may have either aftermarket springs or cut/broken stock springs.

4) Engine temp is slightly high but not unusual unless it was very cool out. The electric fans won't engage until >100C.

5) Three rear dome light switches - I'd ask what they're for

6) SLS reservoir is nearly empty. Why?

7) The Limited upholstery doesn't look right, almost like someone tried to refinish it? Or maybe it's just very sun faded. It's way too light though, almost a tan/beige color... strange.

8) The odometer looks ok to me.

I agree with T500. I wouldn't dismiss the car, however the price should reflect the condition. It's not super clean and shouldn't command a premium price.

:5150:

bing
01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
hard to believe that it's only done 60k, certainly does'nt reflect the condition! shame it was abused and neglected.

temp is fine but revs at idle seem high, 900rpm?

walk away unless the price is right and if you want a huge project.

T-500
01-22-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm looking at the pics - it seems that the colour hues are wrong - too much red saturation. Do the seat inserts look brown or green, in person?

I agree - ask about the reservior.

This car was photographed in Dubai, right? What was the weather like, hot?

dubaipaddy
01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies and comments

195910 - Do you know the car or have you enquired about it? (Sorry, not sure where you are located). Its just that you were spot on with the asking price AED20k (US$ 5.5k).

With regards to the temps, it was about 20-25 deg C outside but both fans were going in the engine compartment. I wasn't sure whether to mention this before or not as a 1993 500E I looked at last week (and the only comparisson I can make) didn't have either fan running in similar weather conditions. A lot of the comments above seem to be pointing to some kind of issue with the coolant system.

Looking again at the photos I believe 195910 is correct about the interior. It definetly looks grey rather than green. The black out tint on the windows probably made it look greener inside. Should have taken off my shades. Just looked up photos of a green interior and it is definitely not the same. The finish was very good though with no tear or apparent excessive wear.

There seems to be a general agreement of some front end damage although extent to be determined. Are the Euro headlights now near impossible to source?

The tyres were a bit strange as well. A mixture of 225/45ZR17 and 235/45ZR17. One of each on the front and one of each on the back, with same sizes diagonally across (if you can follow that). Just a dumb owner or a very clever one hiding something?

At the price being asked for the car I would not want to right off the deal just yet (unless the car is a right off). I will try and track down any MB records and try and get the owner to agree to an Indy inspection and see what they say. Fudgitive has already recommmended Bin Dhaher ($220 for the full inspection) but if anyone in Dubai can recommend anywhere else please let me know.

In an ideal world there would be loads of perfect specimens from E500E enthusiasts to choose from. Unfortunately I do not think there are many of them in Dubai and those that have them want to keep them.

01-23-2011, 05:46 AM
195910 - Do you know the car or have you enquired about it? (Sorry, not sure where you are located). Its just that you were spot on with the asking price AED20k (US$ 5.5k).
Hi Paddy,
I am from Kuwait (neighbouring country) and I head the E500E Group there. We have seen it all...
http://www.ahmad-technik.com

With regards to the temps, it was about 20-25 deg C outside but both fans were going in the engine compartment.

Engine temp is too High, If you are seeing 95-100C engine temps now, you will be seeing 120C in a couple of months time.

The tyres were a bit strange as well. A mixture of 225/45ZR17 and 235/45ZR17. One of each on the front and one of each on the back, with same sizes diagonally across (if you can follow that). Just a dumb owner or a very clever one hiding something?

Tyre sizes are all wrong, Again cheap owner and it might have tyre wear issue.

At the price being asked for the car I would not want to right off the deal just yet (unless the car is a right off). I will try and track down any MB records and try and get the owner to agree to an Indy inspection and see what they say.

Save your self the trouble, you won't find anything. Proper examples in our region don't end up this way.
I would add that although labour is of low cost in this region, E500E specific parts are not.. People who attempted to rebuilt/restore junkers paid alot more than what they we expecting, in the region of $10,000 in one case !!

In an ideal world there would be loads of perfect specimens from E500E enthusiasts to choose from. Unfortunately I do not think there are many of them in Dubai and those that have them want to keep them.
You will find Very few E500E in worthy condition with deserving owners. Try to find one with a UAE/Gulf nationals who owned it for many years. That's your best bet.

dubaipaddy
01-23-2011, 06:40 AM
The cars current guardian is looking after it for his friend and has had it for two months. Friends had it for five months previously. Seems the car has been around a bit (a lot more than 60k km).

MB won't give out any information over here without the owners consent in writing (not sure if this is MB standard policy worldwide. I know Porsche give information out over the phone) and would also make me travel to Abu Dhabi before tellling me whether they know of the car or not.

Asked the guardian for an Indy inspection which I would pay for. Let's just say he wasn't very accommodating. So I'll take the general advice from here and walk on until I find the next one.

Many thanks

fudgitive
01-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey Ian,

After looking back through my old pics, I think that is the same car I looked at last year around February, it was in Sharjah with DXB plates... I wasn't sure but those chrome mirrors and the mileage were the give aways. The owner told me that the speedo had been replaced, at that time it read 40,000km - it was a black limited with grey inserts just like this one - but the trunk had badges on it unlike now. He was also asking 20K at the time, and I thought it was a bit much considering what needed to be spent on it.

Regards
Mike

fudgitive
01-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Oh, the other thing that gave it away was the VIN number... Lol