I have been browsing these forums for a while and have always been interested in the Mercedes 500E since I was around 13 years old.
Many of you probably already know this car as it was owned by my brother (e500.org - Bill) who is a forum member here.
Bill had to move to the UAE so he had to let go of his beloved 500E so I thought since the offer presented itself to me, I decided to take the plunge and buy the legendary 500E!
Since he has had ALOT of major work already done to the car, there wasn't really much left for me to do - only some finishing touches here and there.
Some of the jobs that I have completed are:
- Headliner was sagging really bad, so I purchased a brand new genuine 500E headliner and that has now been replaced and looking fresh again.
- Replacing the front indicators with genuine orange ones (non-genuine ones used to blow off at high speeds) - hopefully these stay secure now.
- Parking sensors - the wiring was broken on the parking sensor unit, so I have now soldered the wires together and the parking sensors are now working perfectly.
Some of the stuff that need to be done on the car:
- Cleaning and sealing the underbody of the car to prevent rust
- Cream grab handles - the new headliner that I have in the car now is CREAM and the old headliner used to be GREY - so of course the grab handles now don't match the same colour as the headliner - although this is minor, I will try and source a new pair of cream ones.
- Back box deleted exhaust - I want the to hear the great sound of the V8 so I am thinking of getting a custom end pipe being made, just a straight through pipe from the resenator.
- Fitting in the ASR kit
- Thinking about the 1st gear valve body - but maybe this isn't worth it? Opinions welcome
As I have said, my brother was very meticulous with his cars and this 500E is in very, very good shape and mechanically sound, just the odd job here and there to do.
Coming from a VW GOLF R32 MK5 - the 500E feels like a completely different car, feels like it carries a massive amount of road presence and the big smooth V8 upfront takes it to another level - better than any other car I have driven, a true pleasure.
I haven't got any pics of the completed headliner, will upload some over the weekend when I get some time.