Thread: Fabric Covered Brake Hose from Brake Fluid Reservoir

Fabric Covered Brake Hose from Brake Fluid Reservoir

Hi --- I did a search for "fabric covered brake hose" because I thought I saw the p/n listed for this before but I just can't seem to find it any more.

Does anyone know the p/n for this? I'm not fond of the way mine looks (age).
    Thanks.

IMG_4540.jpg
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

TerryA (11-18-2016)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Fabric Covered Brake Hose from Brake Fluid Reservoir

P/N: 009-997-38-82 and you'll get 1 meter, but only need 110-125mm of it.

You'll need to pressure-bleed the entire brake system after replacing this, and pull 200cc+ from each caliper. 2 quarts/liters of your favorite DOT4/4+ fluid will do it. Pick up the Motive Euro kit, or something similar, if you don't already have a pressure bleeder.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (11-18-2016)

Thanks.

The slope is slippery ----

I was going to replace the calipers / pad with rebuilt silver arrows / akebono pads and figured at the same time that I would just replace the fabric hose. I have an old pressure bleeder cap (to hook up to compressed air) that I bought from Steve D (or G?) of the Ultimate Garage about 15 years ago.

In conjunction, I am chasing a slight squeak, or mini-fart sound when depressing the brake pedal --- 75% of the time --- when the engine is on. I suspect that there is some seal or something making a slight noise in the vacuum booster or the master cylinder (that said the master cylinder is only 10K miles old).

I started by reading this old thread on the 500E board (which borrowed a thread from MBworld) -which suggested shooting some lubricant in the gap between the master cylinder and the vacuum booster after loosening the master cylinder back a few millimeters. Being uncomfortable with introducing lubricants into the vacuum booster, I did some more googling...

...and then I read a reference on some GM discussion boards that this squeak is a common occurrence on some GM SUVs that was ultimately solved via GM TSB by using a reformulated brake fluid with different lubricity characteristics --- http://www.traverseforum.com/index.p...memode=mobile; --- this fluid though is unfortunately a DOT3 fluid.

Currently the car has Pentosin DOT4 LV fluid in it, with a viscosity of 700 nm^2/s @ -40C. I don't think this is the correct fluid --- I think this low viscosity fluid is for more modern cars with superfine (human hair sized) passages in the ABS/ASR systems. In fact looking at the data sheet, the Pentosin DOT 4 LV fluid is not MB certified --- http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_Dot4_LV.pdf Indeed, ATE SL6 is also a low viscosity fluid with a viscosity around 700 nm^2/s http://www.ate-brakes.com/media/2310...sigkeit_en.pdf

I was, at the same time, going to swap back in some regular "high viscosity" brake fluid in. Either

- ATE TYP200 DOT4, which has a viscosity of 1400 nm^2/s
    - http://www.ate-brakes.com/media/2310...sigkeit_en.pdf
    - Motul RBF600 DOT4 - 1750 nm^2/s
    - https://www.motul.com/system/product...pdf?1340122148
    - Pentosin Super DOT4 - 1500 nm^2/s.
    - http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/p...superdot_4.pdf

I'm not really sure if the brake fluid will make any difference with the mini-fart sound, but I figured I would start there and eliminate variables.
    Last edited by Jlaa; 11-17-2016 at 12:31 PM.
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

500AMM (11-18-2016), gsxr (11-17-2016), TerryA (11-18-2016)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The squeak / mini-fart (LOL!) noise you describe is not uncommon on the 124 chassis. I don't know if there is a definite cure, but IMO it isn't likely to be fixed by spraying anything inside the booster vacuum chamber. Seems like it's under the dash to me, but I really don't know. I also doubt fluid type will have any affect on the noise, the fluid is all located outside the passenger compartment (including the MC) and the noise I hear is inside, not outside. I would like to get Klink's thoughts though, as described in the previous thread.

The fluids you mention should be fine, btw. Or just use OE MB fluid, it's not particularly expensive, and the wet boil point (180°C/356°F) is right in the middle of your other three. Odd that the car curently has the LV fluid, I agree, that is probably not correct for the early 90's systems.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (11-17-2016), TerryA (11-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    I also doubt fluid type will have any affect on the noise, the fluid is all located outside the passenger compartment (including the MC) and the noise I hear is inside, not outside. I would like to get Klink's thoughts though, as described in the previous thread.
    Yeah, the thread you just mentioned is the same thread that I referenced about lubricants in the vacuum booster --- I'd appreciate Klink's thoughts as well.
    The reason why I don't think that the mini fart is hinge related is because it only happens when the engine is running. I cannot duplicate mini fart with the engine off. It only farts while the engine is on. Well, first I need to drop that lower knee bolster and lubricate everything just to be sure (geez, that thing ain't budging! I took out two screws late at night and couldn't get the thing to budge --- I have an aversion to excessive force because in my all-thumbed-experience, force always means breaking plastic clips! )
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

gsxr (11-17-2016), nocfn (11-17-2016), TerryA (11-18-2016)

We sell this in less than 1 meter increments.
    Tom Hanson
    Parts Manager, Mercedes-Benz Classic Center, USA
    MBUSA, LLC
    949 598-4842 direct
    thomas.hanson@mbusa.com

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom.hanson For This Useful Post:

gsxr (11-17-2016), Jlaa (11-17-2016), TerryA (11-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    The reason why I don't think that the mini fart is hinge related is because it only happens when the engine is running. I cannot duplicate mini fart with the engine off. It only farts while the engine is on.
    Yes, that is correct. And for me (my car) it happens when the engine is warmed up/hot. The brake-pedal fart does not occur when the engine is cold.
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8899 For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (11-18-2016), TerryA (11-18-2016)

Just asking, but this is the brake line that is used to feed a clutch master from the brake master cylinder? I need to order some if it is.
    1993 400E on EVO2's