Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project GVZ SEC: The Tale of a Coupe Repair & Rejuvenation

E500E Guru

Re: Project GVZ SEC: The Tale of a Coupe Repair & Rejuvenation

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Just think if it was a URO flex disc rather than OE/OEM !! It wasn't "alabbasi" level crackage, but not too far off from failure.
    Good grief, I can still feel the slap of the air bag on my belly

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (07-09-2017), nocfn (07-09-2017)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I was surprised at the wear and crackage, myself. Goes to show how much the Texas heat and temperatures can affect rubber. I did not abuse the flex disc by drag racing or anything of that sort....

Fortunately the front flex disc can be removed just by rotating the driveshaft/rear wheels. The rear one requires dropping the exhaust and heat shield.

That said, it's MUCH easier to remove and replace the front flex disc if you prop up the transmission/pan, and remove the rear transmission mount. With that done, it's a 20-minute job. With not doing it, it's a 1-2 hour job. Having a lift (or at least the rear wheels off the ground) makes the job 5x easler.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

RicardoD (07-09-2017), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Last night I spent about 35 minutes in the shop getting everything back together. In that time, I got four of the six flex disc bolts installed and torqued down, but still have two to go. Have to rotate the drive-shaft to get those into a position where I can get them.

As I mentioned earlier, it's worth the extra 5-10 minutes' work to remove the transmission rear mount carrier before removing the front flex-disc. Makes the job MUCH easier, even though it can be done without removing the transmission mount. Just wanted to underscore that point.

And one more point -- even for E500E owners -- carefully inspect BOTH of your flex-discs for cracks and wear. Do this at least once a year, if not more frequently. The front flex disc, in particular.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Hakie (07-10-2017), nocfn (07-10-2017), sprnova (07-10-2017), TerryA (07-10-2017)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I finished the flex-disc installation a few days ago, but forgot to update the thread. No real photos to speak of, but a couple things I wanted to mention when it comes to flex disc bolt installation on the C126 coupe:

1. The flex disc replacement kit comes with hex bolts, lock-nuts and a washer that goes with each bolt. Each washer should be used directly between either the bolt-head or nut and the flex disc. The washers should NOT be used between a bolt-head or nut and the driveshaft or transmission output shaft flange.
    2. All bolt heads should be on the same side of the flex disc, and all bolts should point FORWARD (toward the transmission), and all six nuts should be attached on the forward side of the flex disc and transmission output shaft flanges.
    3. The writing (SGF, Made in Germany, yadda yadda) should face FORWARD, so that it is facing the transmission side.
    4. Both the driveshaft and transmission output shaft flanges have small, circular indentations at the bolt-holes through them. Per #3 above, you MUST orient the flex-disc so that the protruding metal bushings in the flex-disc bolt-holes align and insert INTO these indentations in the flanges. It should be apparent when you compare the flange indentations to the flex disc metal bushings that protrude from the flex disc holes.

NOTE: The photos below are not of my car, nor were they taken by me. They are for illustrative purposes, only.

Per point #2 above, here is what the bolts should look like. Note that when the bolts and nuts contact the flanges directly, there are no washers. Where the bolts and nuts touch the flex disc directly, there are washers are located at that point.
    bad300eflex1.jpg

Per point #4 above: Here you can see the protruding metal bushings that fit into the driveshaft and output shaft flange indentations. You can see that "every other bushing" is protruding a bit further, where it fits into the flange indentation.
    Donut002.jpg 1-Drive-Propeller-Shaft-Flex-Disc-for-Mercedes-W201-W124-W126-1244100615.jpg_640x640.jpg

This is what you DON'T want to see, in terms of flex discs. Flex disc whiskers are NOT your friend......
    maxresdefault.jpg flex_disc_95_E320.jpg pic10.jpg Bad-Guibo-2.JPG

Today I ordered a few "odds and ends" replacement parts for the trunk section of my SEC. Specifically, the two hinges that the spare tire cover rotates on in the trunk well (one of the hinges had cracked and broken); a couple of replacement trunk straps that hold the spare tire cover in the "up" position with the trunk is open; and a couple of the plastic brackets that retain the spare tire cover to the rear lip. Small order, but getting the trunk back in order.

Click on the EPC diagram below to see what I am referencing.

Work will begin very shortly on the rear axle refurbishment. I have all of the rubber parts in hand to complete this job.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Screenshot 2017-07-16 12.19.40.jpg

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

nocfn (07-17-2017), roadster27 (2 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (07-16-2017), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Gerry - Post 97 needs an update....
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    Gerry - Post 97 needs an update....
    Yes, I've been a bit remiss in recent weeks on doing things. Haven't spent too much time out in the shop, to be honest, but that is changing very shortly.....

Below is a summary of the jobs I've completed to date from my list in post #97.

On Wednesday (tomorrow) night, I'll be commencing on the rear axle refurbishment process, and hope to get it installed on the car during the month of September.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Jobs to do that are currently on the list for the 560SEC:

• Replace front lower control arm ball joints DONE
    • Replace idler arm and idler arm bushing (de rigeur after an accident)
    • Refurbish and replace rear suspension assembly**
    • Replace front flex disc (very slightly cracked) DONE
    • Replace steering shock DONE
    • Replace valve cover gaskets DONE
    • Re-seal steering box (output shaft)
    • Replace distributor cap and rotor
    • Replace spark plugs
    • Connect windshield washer system to nozzles & electrics
    • Add sunroof felt sliders and lubricate sunroof
    • Replace instrument cluster lights with brighter LED lamps (experimental)
    • Check and replace brake pads (if needed) DONE; not needed
    • Replace rear swaybar links with metal MB link arms WILL BE DONE AS PART OF REAR AXLE REBUILD

** Rear suspension assembly refurbishment includes the following tasks:

1. Replace all four trailing arm bushings
    2. Replace and re-pack all four rear wheel bearings
    3. Replace rear subframe mounts
    4. Replace rear differential mount
    5. Inspect and replace rear axle shaft rubber boots, if required
    6. Replace all other rubber mounts and plugs on rear subframe
    7. Bleed brake system

As you can see, I've got a lot of work ahead of me.....

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

nocfn (2 Weeks Ago), Roma_500E (2 Weeks Ago), Russell R Coe (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)