Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OWNER - Benz

Re: OWNER - Benz

So Im surprised none of you guys noticed my mismatched tail lights lol which do I go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

I was able to change the washer on the fuel rail today

I also put on my monoblocks with the 15mm H&R spacers the car had on it. What a big difference love the way it looks. They will need to be refinished at some point in time. I think I need 20mm to make the fitment flush maybe someone can weigh in on this. The front tires will be replaced to match the new rear ones. Eventually ill dial down the stance a tad bit once all mechanical issues are sorted and money is put into the car fund.

While I replaced the washer on the fuel rail I blew out as much debris and leaves that I could Ill have to vacuum in the cracks when its warmer.

I also recorded a video of my strange surging idle. How can I upload that ? I looks at the distributor cap and the wires they seem to be rather new. But ill have to take that apart to see if its gunked up. I may have a vacuum leak somewhere if that isn't the issue.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

Glen (2 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (2 Weeks Ago), Melville (1 Week Ago), nocfn (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago), ZombieBranz (1 Week Ago)

Nice. The two-tone upper/lower color combo of the smoke silver color theme on the W124 makes the car look so much better, IMHO, than the 1-tone-smoke-silver color combo on W210 cars. In your pictures, I noticed that the trim framing the rear back glass as well as the trim that runs front-back along the two sides of the roof look to be black. On my own pre-facelift car, these have a brushed/anodized aluminum finish to them. Did a previous owner change the look of these trim pieces or is this how they they came on facelift cars?

Also - I lived in Chicago for many years --- geez your pictures reminds me I am sorry --- I don't miss the white stuff or the cold!
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

monoblocks are always good/safe choice. Car looks nice.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KoLoS For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), ZombieBranz (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    In your pictures, I noticed that the trim framing the rear back glass as well as the trim that runs front-back along the two sides of the roof look to be black. On my own pre-facelift car, these have a brushed/anodized aluminum finish to them. Did a previous owner change the look of these trim pieces or is this how they they came on facelift cars?
    Regardless of pre- or post-facelift, the trim pieces (two along the roof, one at the top of the windshield, two framing the back glass and one each on the rear windows) come in a black color from the factory. Over time with exposure to weather they turn to a brushed/anodized aluminum finish.
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8899 For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), Melville (1 Week Ago)

OWNER - Benz

Several years ago, I toyed with removing the chrome on my C126. I decided not to, but still had my roll of 3" wide Shadowline vinyl tape. When I returned my Spruce paint scheme back to factory, I replaced all the trim for the fresh black. I had forgotten the vertical rear door until just a few moths ago. My least favorite thing t do is remove door cards, so I gave my tape a try. It took 10 minutes, a little precision xacto knife work and all of my trim is black instead of bronze. I have matte tape, but it is 20 for matte and 21 usd for gloss. I stuck with matte for the side window since the other will fade to matte. Consider this a public service, no affiliation

http://shadowlinetrim.com/purchase.html
    Last edited by nocfn; 1 Week Ago at 07:38 AM.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), Dan Hiatt (1 Week Ago), Glen (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    Nice. The two-tone upper/lower color combo of the smoke silver color theme on the W124 makes the car look so much better, IMHO, than the 1-tone-smoke-silver color combo on W210 cars. In your pictures, I noticed that the trim framing the rear back glass as well as the trim that runs front-back along the two sides of the roof look to be black. On my own pre-facelift car, these have a brushed/anodized aluminum finish to them. Did a previous owner change the look of these trim pieces or is this how they they came on facelift cars?

Also - I lived in Chicago for many years --- geez your pictures reminds me I am sorry --- I don't miss the white stuff or the cold!
    Thanks ya Iove the two tone as opposed to the monotone. No the trim is anodizes just the lighting that made it look black. We have had a mild winter so I cant complain hehe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

I agree, yup those bigger monoblocks looks very good.
    1971 Porsche 911E
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E
    2007 Porsche GT3

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZombieBranz For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Thanks ya its very sharp until I can afford amg oz

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Benz View Post
    Thanks ya its very sharp until I can afford amg oz

Good luck running those AMG OZ people love them here but too much of a liability on a $4000 sets of wheels i see it cracks as we sleak eeeeewwww
    1993 500E
    1994 E320 cabriolet

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dario For This Useful Post:

fronts 18x8 et31

Rears 18x9 et35

currently the wheel setup and I have 15mm H&R spacers which dont make the front quite flush anyone know the proper size spacers to make the stance flush ?

Ideal ride height with some photoshop

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

Maui (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

My friend took care of all the registration today it is finally legally road ready ! =) Ill have to learn the euro km gauges to mph lol

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

126v8 (1 Week Ago), Glen (1 Week Ago), Maui (1 Week Ago), Melville (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago), ZombieBranz (1 Week Ago)

Hey guys today was my first time I got to take the Benz out legally in Chicago and with good weather. I noticed when I started the car and went to install my temporary plates there was a very strong smell of fuel coming from the rear of the car. I inspected for leaking fuel but there was none? I am going to order a oem fuel filter and change that and inspect the lines from there. Anyone know of this issue.

Thank !

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Just be sure you remove the panel and inspect all the connections and rubber hoses. New copper crush washers are a must for the filter and banjo connections. Unscrew Gas cap and relieve pressure, and keep car outdoors for ventilation. There is also a check valve coming off the tank for pollution control. It may need changing, and the rubber lines I mentioned may also be cracking under pressure.
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

JC220 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    Just be sure you remove the panel and inspect all the connections and rubber hoses. New copper crush washers are a must for the filter and banjo connections. Unscrew Gas cap and relieve pressure, and keep car outdoors for ventilation. There is also a check valve coming off the tank for pollution control. It may need changing, and the rubber lines I mentioned may also be cracking under pressure.
    Ill have to go over those things.

Can you lead me to the correct part number and best place to buy these, thanks !

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

It's just basic. Exaggeration but just looking at the fuel cluster will cause a leak! Phunny intended. If you remove a fitting that has a copper washer, use a new one. The rubber is often overlooked back there so just safe than sorry. Pumps and filters don't last forever so if no records, replace and use quality oem/Bosch pumps.
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Hey guys today was my first time I got to take the Benz out legally in Chicago and with good weather. I noticed when I started the car and went to install my temporary plates there was a very strong smell of fuel coming from the rear of the car. I inspected for leaking fuel but there was none? I am going to order a oem fuel filter and change that and inspect the lines from there. Anyone know of this issue.
    Do not drive the car until you locate the leak source. The most common failure is the high pressure hose exiting the fuel filter, but look at the large feed hose from the tank as well (and, the fuel pumps too).

Read this thread for details, especially post # 7 and 8:
    http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8977

If the fuel smell is from INSIDE the car, not outside... that is a different problem.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), nocfn (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Do not drive the car until you locate the leak source. The most common failure is the high pressure hose exiting the fuel filter, but look at the large feed hose from the tank as well (and, the fuel pumps too).

Read this thread for details, especially post # 7 and 8:
    http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8977

If the fuel smell is from INSIDE the car, not outside... that is a different problem.

Thanks Ill try to look into that today !
    I was reading a lot of threads last night about the hose you mentioned and the fuel pumps .

Believe me, if it's the high pressure hose, you'll see the leak easily when the car is running. The fuel shoots out!

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to makemann For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

Ok so I got under there took the cover off and there was no sign of leaks

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Those hoses at the fuel pumps and fuel filter are closing in on 25 years old. You need to replace ALL of them. As well as the feed and return hoses under the hood. There is also a fair bit of corrosion in the photos.

As I've stated in other posts, faulty fuel lines are one of the most under-noticed and under-replaced things on these cars. I have had two cars (a 1989 560SEC, worked on in 2010; and a 1995 E320, worked on in 2014). In both cases, the fuel lines were visibly cracked and degraded, and only a short matter of time until both would have failed and spilt fuel underhood.

Don't chance it - order and replace the fuel hoses. 25 years is well beyond the service life of rubber items !!!

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Is Cohline acceptible for the fuel filter to feed line ? Fuel tank to pump I only see the dealer option. I am having trouble locating part numbers for the rest of the hoses you are referring to .

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Those hoses at the fuel pumps and fuel filter are closing in on 25 years old. You need to replace ALL of them. As well as the feed and return hoses under the hood. There is also a fair bit of corrosion in the photos.

As I've stated in other posts, faulty fuel lines are one of the most under-noticed and under-replaced things on these cars. I have had two cars (a 1989 560SEC, worked on in 2010; and a 1995 E320, worked on in 2014). In both cases, the fuel lines were visibly cracked and degraded, and only a short matter of time until both would have failed and spilt fuel underhood.

Don't chance it - order and replace the fuel hoses. 25 years is well beyond the service life of rubber items !!!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Ok so I got under there took the cover off and there was no sign of leaks
    If you smelled raw fuel, it came from somewhere. You should keep trying to locate it. Don't want to have a very rare 036 flambé...

48. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

It wasn't raw fuel exactly it was more of heavy exhaust fumes

If you smelled raw fuel, it came from somewhere. You should keep trying to locate it. Don't want to have a very rare 036 flambé...

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Is Cohline acceptible for the fuel filter to feed line ? Fuel tank to pump I only see the dealer option. I am having trouble locating part numbers for the rest of the hoses you are referring to .
    I would only use the OE/dealer hose for the high-pressure hose exiting the fuel filter. I haven't personally seen the Cohline hose currently available via aftermarket... but I don't have the slightest confidence it's OEM, and IMO it's not worth saving $50 to risk a $20k car fire. Replacing the tank feed hose is optional if it's not cracked, but inspect it closely for cracks... they can be hidden on the back side and difficult to see. Click here for pics of the cracking feed hose.

The 036 does not have fuel hoses underhood which crack and split, Gerry was referring to different models (C126 and S124). The 034/036 have stainless braided covers on the engine compartment fuel hoses and so far, nobody has reported a failure of these. Which is good, because I believe they have been NLA for a while.

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

I would only use the OE/dealer hose for the high-pressure hose exiting the fuel filter. I haven't personally seen the Cohline hose currently available via aftermarket... but I don't have the slightest confidence it's OEM, and IMO it's not worth saving $50 to risk a $20k car fire. Replacing the tank feed hose is optional if it's not cracked, but inspect it closely for cracks... they can be hidden on the back side and difficult to see. Click here for pics of the cracking feed hose.

The 036 does not have fuel hoses underhood which crack and split, Gerry was referring to different models (C126 and S124). The 034/036 have stainless braided covers on the engine compartment fuel hoses and so far, nobody has reported a failure of these. Which is good, because I believe they have been NLA for a while.
    Ya I totally agree on the cost If i no one has experience with it it's not worth the headache. I will have a piece of mind with the factory one. So as of now I have ordered an oem fuel filter, and I will order that one fuel line. I'll have to reinspect the feed hose. I will have a new set of plugs coming in soon as well.

Next in line will be cap and rotors.

When I was on a straight away and accelerating the other day the car went into a weird limp mode. The throttle did not respond at all and I had to pull the car over and restart it and then it was fine. As this happened no lights popped up on the dash however I did have the asr turned off because I have the Renntech traction delete.
    I was reading one of the threads that says something about running on one fuel pump which may be the case. Its only past 80mph does the car react this way. It happened only twice.

54. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago), vatc5637 (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

... Next in line will be cap and rotors.
    If you shell our for new caps+rotors, get new insulators too. Cheap insurance, lots of threads about this.

When I was on a straight away and accelerating the other day the car went into a weird limp mode. The throttle did not respond at all and I had to pull the car over and restart it and then it was fine.
    If the ASR light on the dash came on during this time, you experienced standard limp mode... throttle will respond if you push the pedal all the way down. Need to check codes to see what may have caused it. Have you looked at the date code on the ETA yet? If original, it's on borrowed time.

I was reading one of the threads that says something about running on one fuel pump which may be the case. Its only past 80mph does the car react this way. It happened only twice.
    Running on 1 fuel pump won't cause limp mode, but will cause a power reduction during the time the 1 pump is not working. When this happens, no codes are triggered at all.

56. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Ok ill look into those as well.

I dont recall if the light came on I would have to see if it happens again and pay attention to it.
    Where is the date located ?
    Also is this blink code reader ok http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-OBD...MAAOSwpIdW8DpX

Since I never owned one of these cars im not sure if there is power reduction ill have to have someone that owns one drive mine.

If you shell our for new caps+rotors, get new insulators too. Cheap insurance, lots of threads about this.

If the ASR light on the dash came on during this time, you experienced standard limp mode... throttle will respond if you push the pedal all the way down. Need to check codes to see what may have caused it. Have you looked at the date code on the ETA yet? If original, it's on borrowed time.

Running on 1 fuel pump won't cause limp mode, but will cause a power reduction during the time the 1 pump is not working. When this happens, no codes are triggered at all.

58. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Where is the date located ?
    See attached.

That will only work if you have a 38-pin breakout box / mushroom adapter - which is recommended, as it makes things far easier than using the blinker box with 1mm pins designed to work directly with the 38-pin connector. Details in this thread, see attached pics in the first post:
    http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2996

60. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), gerryvz (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

So i check the date and while simply nudging the vacuum line It cracked in half but the date shows an original part from 94 . Something tells me this vacuum line will be a pain in the ass to replace.

62. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

sheward (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Yep, that's the original ETA, Jannury 1994. If you frequently get limp mode (ASR light on, reduced power, extended pedal travel, temporarily cured by re-starting the car)... replacing the ETA is likely to fix the problem.

That vacuum line goes from the rear bottom of the intake manifold, out the front of the intake along with the 8mm black PCV tube, under the driver distributor covers, and over to the EZL on the driver fender. You are likely to find all of the vacuum tubes in the engine compartment fossilized and breaking if you look at the wrong, including all the PCV hoses atop the intake manifold to the valve covers. They should be soft rubber. If they are rock hard, plan on replacing all that stuff... and the black 8mm PCV vent tube as well. As a temp fix you can try to patch the busted vac line but don't be surprised if it breaks again while trying to patch it. There's a detailed thread on the forum with all the PCV tube p/n's if you need them, they are another dealer-only item.

64. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Ya I patched it temporarily lol it was a pain in the ass but the car is running as it was. That's usually the case with these older cars you touch one thing and open up a can of worms haha. But that is the fun in it. I don't frequently get the limp mode but that will def be on the never ending list haha. I saw a forum member had an aftermarket performance eta installed, im assuming those run around 300 to 500.

Yep, that's the original ETA, Jannury 1994. If you frequently get limp mode (ASR light on, reduced power, extended pedal travel, temporarily cured by re-starting the car)... replacing the ETA is likely to fix the problem.

That vacuum line goes from the rear bottom of the intake manifold, out the front of the intake along with the 8mm black PCV tube, under the driver distributor covers, and over to the EZL on the driver fender. You are likely to find all of the vacuum tubes in the engine compartment fossilized and breaking if you look at the wrong, including all the PCV hoses atop the intake manifold to the valve covers. They should be soft rubber. If they are rock hard, plan on replacing all that stuff... and the black 8mm PCV vent tube as well. As a temp fix you can try to patch the busted vac line but don't be surprised if it breaks again while trying to patch it. There's a detailed thread on the forum with all the PCV tube p/n's if you need them, they are another dealer-only item.

66. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Used electrical tape to get some leverage when glueing and it took about 30min and a few tools thrown on the ground but it will do for now haha

68. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I saw a forum member had an aftermarket performance eta installed, im assuming those run around 300 to 500.
    Nobody has proven any real performance gains from ETA mods. There was one guy on a different forum years ago but we never saw any proof via dyno runs. Stock ETA replacement is ~$1k for factory rebuilt if available, a bit less for Beckmann rebuild, or $300-$500 for a used late-datecode ETA.

70. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Benz: I have been following your new car thread-- good luck with it. Very nice color! Looking at the pictures of the fuel filter & pumps I think you're missing the plastic sleeve on the filter. Lower pump has a blue colored sleeve clearly visible. I don't see one on the filter.

Regards,

Peter Weissman

72. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geraniumtr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by geraniumtr View Post
    Benz: I have been following your new car thread-- good luck with it. Very nice color! Looking at the pictures of the fuel filter & pumps I think you're missing the plastic sleeve on the filter. Lower pump has a blue colored sleeve clearly visible. I don't see one on the filter.

Regards,

Peter Weissman
    Thank you !
    Yes I noticed that I actually ordered and oem replacement which I will be installing

Nobody has proven any real performance gains from ETA mods. There was one guy on a different forum years ago but we never saw any proof via dyno runs. Stock ETA replacement is ~$1k for factory rebuilt if available, a bit less for Beckmann rebuild, or $300-$500 for a used late-datecode ETA.

Good to know !
    Will that vacuum line cause noticeable changes or issues if it splits again ?

Im going to order the vacuum hose and connectors that broke. Just to confirm will will 1 meter be enought for the intake manifold line ? Or should I just buy 10 ft. of it.

- 000-158-14-35
    - fitting x2 117-078-02-81

Thank you !

76. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

I have two cars, but the line is so cheap, buy 3m as you are going to use the stuff as original cracks happen often. Best to be prepared when you remove the rubber connector and 1/3 of the line comes with it.
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

78. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

The other day I went to start the car and there was a significantly loud hissing/buzzing noise much louder than the fuel pumps constantly running coming from the rear of the car lasting 10 seconds this has happened 3 times. The car had more than half a tank of gas each time. Has anyone experienced a similar symptom

Thanks,

70 degree day in Chicago so I did some Ocd cleaning on the interior of the car.

• - Removed rear seats and tray and side pockets
    • - Vacuumed under all matts cleaned coffee stains
    • - Cleaned all of the interior with degreaser and a microfiber towel.
    • - Used tooth brush in crack on seats and doors etc
    • - Cleaned headliner
    • - Conditioned seats
    • - Burned off thread ends
    • - Waxed wood again with meguires as suggested by forum members

My parts have arrived!

Still need help determining what the loud jet noise in the rear is when I start the car. It lasts until the rpms drop and sometimes causes the car to stall immediately when starting the car. My guess is that after I put in seafoam into the gas tank there was some crap that clogged the fuel filter ? Or the fuel pumps are taking a crap. There is a quarter tank of gas in the car.

81. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

Eno (4 Days Ago), Jlaa (2 Days Ago), SayHey (4 Days Ago), TerryA (2 Days Ago), wf758 (5 Days Ago)

I had some spare time last night and my Alpine cde 164 bt laying around from my e55 so I did some research on the forums and found the harness adapter would fit my e500 so just flipped some cables and put it in. Wired the mic for handsfree in the top left corner of the pillar.

I also noticed I need the gas cap seal since mine is dry rotted

83. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

Eno (2 Days Ago), gerryvz (2 Days Ago)