Thread: A/C stopped working!

Cool A/C stopped working!

My 94 E500 A/C is blowing warm air now. It had been in storage for almost a year and exercised in winter. Ran the A/C but hard to tell if it was working due to colder ambient temps. I took it to an independent in Dallas and the dealer but both wouldn't work on it... I'll be running it down in Texas this summer so I'll definitely need it! Does anyone know an independent in Minneapolis (where I am now) that I can take it to?Thanks
    Last edited by MBchap; 06-19-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Correction R-134A, not R-12

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: A/C stopped working!

All years E500E imported to USA have R-134a refrigerant. You should be able to find a local shop that will work on it, the AC systems are not specialty items. I'm very surprised the Dallas indy and dealer both refused to work on it. Could just need a recharge; question is if the system has any pressure at all, and if charged how long the charge will last. If it leaks you'll need dye to find out where the leak is.

Another possibility is an electrical fault / control issue, where the refrigerant system is good but the compressor is not engaging. That would generally much easier & cheaper to repair.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

E500E Guru

if a car sits for a while, seals tend to dry up and create leaks that would not normally be there. Put some gauges on it to see what the pressures are. If they are low, go to a shop with an A/C machine and have them vacuum and charge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-20-2017)

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I "mis-posted", it is R-134A! Dallas dealer (and many/most) dealerships will not work on their vehicles older than 1999 (?) due to "liability" issues but may be that business is so good, why should they. I have an in-law that is with a BMW dealer in FL and she confirms that this is common. I took it to en indie and they checked the gas. It has a full charge within spec so that is not the problem. Said that the compressor clutch is engaging, just not working and most likely needs a new compressor...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MBchap For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-20-2017)

E500E Guru

Oh you're in Dallas? PM me and I'll have the kid that works for me take a look.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-19-2017), nocfn (06-19-2017), TerryA (06-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by alabbasi View Post
    Oh you're in Dallas? PM me and I'll have the kid that works for me take a look.
    I'm moving to Dallas in the early Fall- now still in Minneapolis. Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MBchap For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-20-2017)

E500E Guru

I'm close-

Most of the dallas shops are covered up with newer stuff. They generally hate the effort to give free diagnostics by the way of estimates on older cars.

I'll be home by 8pm tonight if you want to take a look... I'm in Keller about 20 miles from Dallas.

I've had good luck with the dallas shops not turning me away, but they do say that in general- we don't work on those old cars. Louden sold off all his old W126/123/115 suspension tools. Dealers as a whole don't know metal-key cars.

Michael

A/C problem fixed. New compressor needed and installed by local wrench. The spend continues...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MBchap For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-30-2017)

I had an odd situation with my 92 500E. On a 90 degree day I was driving all over the Seattle area, the air con was working great until I stopped at a customers place and shut off the car for about a half hour. When I got back in and started the car the Aircon would only blow warm air.... I got home and checked the pressure with a refill kit and it was over the green zone ... later when everything cooled off the Aircon worked fine.

E500E Guru

Pressure got too high, tripped the high pressure switch.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Boxersix View Post
    I got home and checked the pressure with a refill kit and it was over the green zone ... later when everything cooled off the Aircon worked fine.
    Did you have the AC running when you checked the pressure? If the compressor is not running, the static pressure will normally be well over the 'green zone'.