Thread: Weekend Journal of Introspective Day Trips - Post your drives here

Weekend Journal of Introspective Day Trips - Post your drives here

Once a year, my family leaves me and visits the in-laws on the other side of the country, leaving me to my own devices for two weeks.

It is during those weekends that I find myself wrapped in my own thoughts --- solitude, introspection, and reflection. Nothing is more satisfying to me (okay I can think of a few things that are perhaps more satisfying but this is a 'G' rated forum) than pointing the car towards a cardinal direction and seeing where the day takes me.

I took two drives this past weekend. A couple of thoughts ---

• The seats could use a little more lower back / lumbar support. I feel a little lower back pain after a few hours.
    • The 500E really eats the miles.
    • The warmness of the Becker 1432 audio system is really nice --- so warm, so ----- vinyl-like? Streaming my entire library of flac Diana Krall albums through it via my phone is so very cathartic.
    • 3/4 throttle 4th gear acceleration from 80 mph -> 1xx mph is fantastic ---- the gear is so short (by modern standards) that acceleration at extra-legal speeds is wonderful without having the drama of downshifting 3 gears from what might be today's 9-speed auto transmissions.
    • I love the gunsight at the very end of the hood.
    • This is not a sports-sedan in the modern sense. This is a rolling dreadnought with ample high speed power.
    • Why in God's name is there not more cubby/storage space in the interior????
    • I got friendly waves from a bunch of hipster-esque BMW e30 driving millenials
    • I didn't know that there is a ginormous Buddhist compound in northern California - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_o...ousand_Buddhas
    • I remember all the wine tastings in Sonoma were free. Nothing is free anymore.
    • How do you get outside ambient temp air moving into the cabin without turning on the HVAC fan? Is there such a setting?
    • If the car is parked at a gas station and the ground is ever so slightly not level --- meaning the right side of the car is slightly lower than the left side of the car, then I cannot fill the tank full enough such that the fuel gauge shows full.
    • I really enjoy having the economy gauge in the car ---- more things to look at --- more gauge needles moving!
    • I have the first gear shift valve body and it seems only to shift from 1st to 2nd at two rpms --- either super low (at like 1600 rpm) under light throttle, or super high rpm under full throttle blasts. It is not like a modern trans where if you can play with the throttle to get it to shift from 1st to 2nd at a moderate 3000 rpm. You have to row the gear lever to make that happen.
    • I waved at all manners of my fellow drivers who were in w124s. No-one waved back. Very disappointing.
    • What a fantastic car - it is so very special to drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jlaa; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:35 PM.
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

8899 (3 Weeks Ago), Benz (3 Weeks Ago), Glen (3 Weeks Ago), makemann (3 Weeks Ago), nocfn (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

Re: Weekend Journal of Introspective Day Trips - Post your drives here

Wow, your car looks great. Love the special color.

• 3/4 throttle 4th gear acceleration from 80 mph -> 1xx mph is fantastic ---- the gear is so short (by modern standards) that acceleration at extra-legal speeds is wonderful without having the drama of downshifting 3 gears from what might be today's 9-speed auto transmissions.
    Yes, this, my favorite thing to do in the car, the engine just keeps pulling and pulling.
    RicardoD
    1990 964 C4 / 1991 964 C2 tip
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

Jlaa,

Nice, something I would like to cross off my bucket list someday. A nice long drive by myself. I've had a few jaunts down to San Diego from the OC but most of my drives are back thru the Irvine Lake area down to El Toro on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

It's one of the rare pleasant drives thru the rolling SoCal hills that still exists today. Kinda like the country in the city. There are some cross roads leading to little communities that have been there forever it seams.

One particular area from Cooks Corner to O'Neil Park is a twisty drive thru natural tunnel made buy old Oak Trees lining the road but it's to short no more than 2 miles so I go both ways on it. Carefully romping thru different spots when the opportunity presents itself. Weekends brings out lots of biker clubs both peddle and motor so careful is the key to preventing disaster.

The light at the end of the proverbial tunnel is to check out Captruff's cars and "Part Depot" when he's around. Always interesting to see what he's up to.

Lately though with travel and other priorities sadly I haven't had the time. Hopefully that will change soon.

Anyway, enough about me.

Take Care
    Terry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (3 Weeks Ago)

This^^^^^^

Reminds me of my time in Socal 87-89. Lived on Berkely Dr, then for the last 10 months on new housing built for NonCom families. I ran into a high school buddy from Ohio at the grocery store, he was USMC heading out to Okinawa. I got his never lived in 2 bed/bath townhome for 300/mo. My one bedroom apartment was 1050/mo. ETMCAS is gone, the swamp is now a toll road behind UCI going to Laguna....but I agree heading to see Jeff was quite fun! (I did have a semi-chopped Honda at my disposal which made the curved drive you speak of pretty fun as a 22 year old non-marine in the area) whoohoo!!
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    • How do you get outside ambient temp air moving into the cabin without turning on the HVAC fan? Is there such a setting?
    Not possible with the USA-mandated automatic climate control. The only way to turn the fan off is the "O" setting, which also closes the main air flap. The idea is, this setting blocks all airflow to reduce unpleasant odors (i.e., skunk). If you want airflow, you need to select EC (assuming you don't want AC) and pick one of the three available fan speeds.

• If the car is parked at a gas station and the ground is ever so slightly not level --- meaning the right side of the car is slightly lower than the left side of the car, then I cannot fill the tank full enough such that the fuel gauge shows full.
    A slight angle shouldn't cause this. My guess is something up with your modified fuel gauge, or sender, or both. When it happens you could try measuring the resistance at the sender terminals and compare to factory specs; and also compare to filling when level.

• I have the first gear shift valve body and it seems only to shift from 1st to 2nd at two rpms --- either super low (at like 1600 rpm) under light throttle, or super high rpm under full throttle blasts. It is not like a modern trans where if you can play with the throttle to get it to shift from 1st to 2nd at a moderate 3000 rpm. You have to row the gear lever to make that happen.
    That doesn't sound right. The upshift RPM should be linear based on throttle travel. Do you know the origin of the FGS VB, and/or the part number? Any chance your transmission is a 722.365 (early) instead of 722.370 (late)? You'd need to check the serial number stamped on the trans itself.

• I waved at all manners of my fellow drivers who were in w124s. No-one waved back. Very disappointing.
    I think most 124 owners today consider them appliances. Now, I'd be disappointed if an E500E driver didn't wave back...

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (3 Weeks Ago), nocfn (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    A slight angle shouldn't cause this. My guess is something up with your modified fuel gauge, or sender, or both. When it happens you could try measuring the resistance at the sender terminals and compare to factory specs; and also compare to filling when level.
    I just find it a curious observation that the car is sensitive to grades on fillup. The gauge I found now is very accurate --- If I fill up on level ground or ground where the passenger side is higher than the drivers side, then the gauge registers full and all is right with the world. If I fill up where the passenger side is lower than the drivers side then the pump shuts off early and the gauge does not show full. I know the pump shuts off early because Ill drive gently for fifty miles and then have to add five gallons back in the tank at a level gas station! It gets bad mileage but not that bad!

Maybe its the vapor recovery nozzles we have here in SF or maybe its just that there is no flat land here ...

That doesn't sound right. The upshift RPM should be linear based on throttle travel. Do you know the origin of the FGS VB, and/or the part number? Any chance your transmission is a 722.365 (early) instead of 722.370 (late)? You'd need to check the serial number stamped on the trans itself.
    Ill check the trans / VB next time the car is in the air, thanks. It could be that I am not used to the old school looooooooooooooong MB throttle travel and therefore what I think is substantial throttle travel is still light throttle. My reference daily driver is whatever 2017 car hertz is renting that week ... so my perceptions are a bit skewed.
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

If I fill up on level ground or ground where the passenger side is higher than the drivers side, then the gauge registers full and all is right with the world. If I fill up where the passenger side is lower than the drivers side then the pump shuts off early and the gauge does not show full. I know the pump shuts off early because Ill drive gently for fifty miles and then have to add five gallons back in the tank at a level gas station! It gets bad mileage but not that bad!
    I experience exactly the same thing.
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8899 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

I took two drives this past weekend. A couple of thoughts ---
    These two threads are always an interesting read:

http://www.500eboard.com/forums/show...light=Dislikes
    http://www.500eboard.com/forums/show...factory%20mods
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8899 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

I took a looooong drive yesterday eve to go from Hopland CA (it was once a big center for hops (for beer) production to Clear Lake via CA-175. I find these rural state roads to be so bucolic and so very free of traffic ---- what a pleasant drive through the hills.

Experimenting w the trans, I realized that you are right - it does upshift from 1-2 linearly based on throttle travel. I am just (1) not used to the loooong pedal travel of "vintage" MBs and (2) I am too used to modern electronic automatic transmissions that will hold the lower gear for you even after you've lifted your foot off the throttle. Transmissions sure have undergone lots of development in the past few years. I learned to drive on a 3-speed automatic Datsun of late 70s vintage .... and that trans was not as different to the 500E trans 15 years later than the 500E trans is to circa-2008 cars another 15 years on. (I am comparing to a Volvo V70R of 2006 vintage with a 6 speed automatic with lots of electronic controls).

Here are some pictures along CA-175. Btw the 57F temp is in SF where it is cool and foggy in June.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), makemann (3 Weeks Ago), RicardoD (3 Weeks Ago)