Once a year, my family leaves me and visits the in-laws on the other side of the country, leaving me to my own devices for two weeks.
It is during those weekends that I find myself wrapped in my own thoughts --- solitude, introspection, and reflection. Nothing is more satisfying to me (okay I can think of a few things that are perhaps more satisfying but this is a 'G' rated forum) than pointing the car towards a cardinal direction and seeing where the day takes me.
I took two drives this past weekend. A couple of thoughts ---
- The seats could use a little more lower back / lumbar support. I feel a little lower back pain after a few hours.
- The 500E really eats the miles.
- The warmness of the Becker 1432 audio system is really nice --- so warm, so ----- vinyl-like? Streaming my entire library of flac Diana Krall albums through it via my phone is so very cathartic.
- 3/4 throttle 4th gear acceleration from 80 mph -> 1xx mph is fantastic ---- the gear is so short (by modern standards) that acceleration at extra-legal speeds is wonderful without having the drama of downshifting 3 gears from what might be today's 9-speed auto transmissions.
- I love the gunsight at the very end of the hood.
- This is not a sports-sedan in the modern sense. This is a rolling dreadnought with ample high speed power.
- Why in God's name is there not more cubby/storage space in the interior????
- I got friendly waves from a bunch of hipster-esque BMW e30 driving millenials
- I didn't know that there is a ginormous Buddhist compound in northern California - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_o...ousand_Buddhas
- I remember all the wine tastings in Sonoma were free. Nothing is free anymore.
- How do you get outside ambient temp air moving into the cabin without turning on the HVAC fan? Is there such a setting?
- If the car is parked at a gas station and the ground is ever so slightly not level --- meaning the right side of the car is slightly lower than the left side of the car, then I cannot fill the tank full enough such that the fuel gauge shows full.
- I really enjoy having the economy gauge in the car ---- more things to look at --- more gauge needles moving!
- I have the first gear shift valve body and it seems only to shift from 1st to 2nd at two rpms --- either super low (at like 1600 rpm) under light throttle, or super high rpm under full throttle blasts. It is not like a modern trans where if you can play with the throttle to get it to shift from 1st to 2nd at a moderate 3000 rpm. You have to row the gear lever to make that happen.
- I waved at all manners of my fellow drivers who were in w124s. No-one waved back. Very disappointing.
- What a fantastic car - it is so very special to drive.