My 500E is a 1992. Your newer E500 may be slightly different, but I hope this helps.
There are great instructions on how to remove the blower motor (000-830-82-08) that Gerry posted here, but my photo instructions are more for removing and replacing the Blower Regulator (124-820-27-10).
I bought this stuff...
I would recommend the OEM regulator if you can afford the $551. This KAE part was $182. I just had to replace the ETA and tapped into the expendable fund once too many this month.
Here's the regulator.
No smart comments on the yellowed expansion tank and, yes, I need to buy a longer hose to the tank and re-route it along the passenger side.
Okay, now that we got that out of the way. Follow the linked instructions above to remove these items...
Remove rubber molding and within five seconds you will do this on the hidden clips...
In removing some of the parts, I've noticed that there were various fasteners missing. For example:
If you know the part number, please shoot it my way!
That one was there.
That one was not there.
Again, if you have a part number for this, lemme know!
All parts removed to expose the blower motor cover. Unclip 8 clamps and remove cover.
Cover removed. Pay attention to how the wires are routed. Remove the two screw and unclip the clamp holding the motor in place. Remove blower motor.
With blower motor out of the way, unscrew the two screws holding in the blower regulator.
Unplug the blower regulator. The plug is located on the driver-side firewall. After this step, the real fun begins.
The blower regulator is held in place by two screws on the top, adhesive foam tape along the edge that adheres to the blower motor housing, and finally by a locating pin on the bottom of the part. Shown here on the new part.
After removing the two top screws and breaking the last of the 25-year old crumbling, disintegrated foam tape, you need to pull straight up on the regulator and push the top of it toward the driver-side. This allows the locating pin to pull out of its hole in the bottom of the blower motor housing.
You need to be extremely careful not to push the old part into the fins of the evaporator. The concave blower motor housing has little to no flex, so it takes a lot of pulling power to dislodge the part.
I felt like Miles Davis at his most creative with the new and varied combinations of scat that flowed out of my mouth.
Once the locating pin is dislodged, just fish out the part.
I'm going to mount this above the fireplace.
Interestingly, I did not bend the porcupine quills on the old one. As much as I wanted to, they were in this condition in situ. Perhaps it was Hans who did it 25 years ago! Poor fellah.
Reuse the rubber pin locating piece and install the new part. Install was the exact reverse. Again, be careful not to hit the evaporator fins.
There was disintegrated foam on the top cover of the blower motor housing. It keeps it snug to the top of the blower motor. I removed the old foam and installed new.
I tested the HVAC system before buttoning it all up. Blowing COLD and QUIET! Success!
I used Simple Green to clean all the parts and protected them with 303 before reinstalling. Voila, it all went back together smoothly.