Thread: Wet distrubiters just ordered a new set of insulators.

Wet distrubiters just ordered a new set of insulators.

Humidity here this year has been NUTS and just can not keep the disturbers dry on my 420. Clean and dry them up then will start breaking up with in days pull hem back down and both have a light film of moisture in them as well as the backs of he insulators. Clean and Dry them + hit them with water repellent but it won't last. Doing the same thing over and over so just ordered a set of new Bosh insulators. Anything else I can do?? Caps and rotors are Bremi have maybe 15 K on them and look absolutely perfect after they are dried so??
    When I say humidity s nuts here i mean NUTS!! Pulled a guitar out of the case outside yesterday and watched the entire top just turn instantly milky and was in just seconds literally DRIPPING with moisture!! Had a historic flash flood just yesterday in my area never seen humidity this bad and my car is going NUTS with misses as a result.
    "Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." Frederick Douglass

Re: Wet distrubiters just ordered a new set of insulators.

Got my insulators from FCP today dried everything off and so far seems to have stopped the missing. We shall see in the next few days. Wonder how much the o rings have to do with all this? Caps are noticeably tighter fitting in the new insulators is why I ask.
    "Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." Frederick Douglass

They should help a lot. Solved the issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dbb7697 View Post
    They should help a lot. Solved the issue for me.
    Were your dust caps broken, how do you Think the humid air/ dampness entered to, and did stay inside the cap?

I suspect the 6 reliefs or Cuts in the bottom, wich looks to be (Drains) wich they apparently do not. The physics
    of the matter, my theory is, when that hot inside of the caps cooles off it Draws outside air into the caps, right?

Wich way does it enter? try to do an experiment, block off the reliefs on one of the caps ans see if there will
    be any difference. Or do not park and let the motor cool off in a very damp Environment,,,,

If it was hermetically blocked off, how would the caps fair, just wonder?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '92 500E 6.0 AMG
    '93 400E 5.0 AMG
    '96 E50 AMG
    '96 CL500
    '99 C43 AMG

E500E Guru

Arnte- what brand of caps are those which are black?

What are you using as a water repellent?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Got my insulators from FCP today dried everything off and so far seems to have stopped the missing. We shall see in the next few days. Wonder how much the o rings have to do with all this? Caps are noticeably tighter fitting in the new insulators is why I ask.
    The new insulators MAY cure the problem, but you'll have to wait and see. The O-ring itself is not likely to make a significant difference. I've never seen an O-ring degrade enough to where it would appear to no longer seal properly between cap+insulator.

BTW, when you had everything apart, was there any sign of engine oil leakage below the caps? If everything was totally dry when you re-assembled, it will be interesting to see what you find if the misfiring returns (i.e., is everything damp behind the insulators again or not).

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    The new insulators MAY cure the problem, but you'll have to wait and see. The O-ring itself is not likely to make a significant difference. I've never seen an O-ring degrade enough to where it would appear to no longer seal properly between cap+insulator.

BTW, when you had everything apart, was there any sign of engine oil leakage below the caps? If everything was totally dry when you re-assembled, it will be interesting to see what you find if the misfiring returns (i.e., is everything damp behind the insulators again or not).

There is not one drop of oil behind ether side under the insulators. Over the last 2 weeks humidity here has been completely nuts. I dried the caps last time and with in 2 days they were wet again. Most surreal thing was pulling a guitar out of the case from inside the house and within seconds having so much condensation on it it was just dripping. Klink, should vouch for this as the area the dealer he works for got hit with historic flash flooding last week. I checked the caps just a couple months back and they were dry then but both times I pulled them down over the last two weeks the entire inside was coated with a film of moisture. No oil just film that was wet like that weird stuff that was on the back on the insulators 1st time I pulled them. Do have a pretty good cut on the boot of #8 at the cap that I need to deal with. Been there since I have owned the car and the wires may be origional. What do you guys suggest in new wires?

Pulled the trigger on a new set of wires today. Looking at the set on my car they are aftermarket and with the big cut at the boot on # 8 needed a fresh set. Ordered the Beru set from FCP at $240 shipped this morning. Had been noticing a intermittent clicking noise as of late and found it was coming from the area around the drivers side front of the head. Drove her yesterday and at a drive through it dawned on me that is the sound of high voltage arching! Keep you guys posted on quality and how they fit when they get here and I get them on.
    Last edited by Ascension; 1 Week Ago at 07:15 AM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Cool! If you could post some photos of the Beru wire set when you receive it, that would be great.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Ascension (5 Days Ago)

Review of arcing in the dark may be interesting as well, a lowman style video...
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264