Thread: EPC Access in 2017 - installation on a Win10 machine

EPC Access in 2017 - installation on a Win10 machine

This might be old news to the vast majority of 500eboard members out there, but as a relative newb, and someone who doesn't consider himself a TOTAL computer idiot, I had a hard time gaining access to MB EPC after signing up. I jumped through a few hoops, and finally got it working. I thought I would post the steps I took here in case someone else runs into the same bugaboos I did.

This is a quick installation guide for accessing EPC with a Windows 10 laptop. As the EPC site says, they do not support the EPC application on any other platform. Not wanting to believe that, I attempted to install on my Mac (a few different ways), and was unsuccessful. I guess they wern't lying. :P If someone else has a different experience, I'd love to hear it!

The root cause of the difficulties I had accessing my subscription was the fact that most (if not all) modern web browsers no longer support Java plug-ins. EPC launches itself by accessing the Java plug-in installed into your web browser, so its kind of a must. On top of that, EPC seems to be stuck in the dark ages with the version of Java that it requires (according to the installation guide here - Java 7 Rel 25 or 45 is 'best'), so after you have found and installed an old version of a web browser that supports Java plug-ins you have to download and install what is probably a MUCH older version of Java that what is currently installed on your machine for this to work. Fun right? Don't worry... I'm sure there aren't any security exceptions in that old code.

OK. Soooo..

Step 1. Archaic Web Browser install! While most modern web browsers no longer support Java plug-ins, Mozilla still provides access to a web browser that does! It would seem that a lot of enterprises were 'surprised' by Java plug-in functionality being pulled from the virtual shelves, and so there is a market for one that does. Its called the Extended Support Release (ESR), and while it indicates its for enterprise users, you can download it too. Find it here! The current Mozilla version tied to the ESR is 52.3.0 (as of this post..in September of 2017) Click through, and select the version appropriate for your operating system. I'll assume you can successfully install a web browser...

Step 2. Archaic Java install!
    Once you have your old web browser installed... fire it up and head here. This is the Oracle Java Release 7 web page, where multiple versions of the now 'old' Release 7 Java can still be downloaded. The web page isn't suuuuper user friendly and there are a lot of Rel 7 options available. Look for this one (Its called 7u45):

'Accept' the user agreement via the radio button. This 'activates' the download links. I utilized the 'Windows x86 Offline' link to install my version. As with the web browser step, if you've made it this far, I think you can handle the rest of the Java install

Step 3. Validate Archaic Java install!
    Oracle has a pretty cool webpage (ok, its not THAT cool) you can visit to validate that you have Java installed in your browser and it is functional. You can find it here. You'll see this on the page:

See that note to Firefox ESR 52 users? Its for you!! Click the provided link.

You'll be taken to another page, you'll eventually be presented with a dialog box that looks like:

Click 'Run'

If your Java install was successful, you'll see this:

If so yay! If not, there must have been an issue with your Java install. Go back and repeat step 2.

Important: Do NOT click the upgrade link provided. You'll just end up undoing everything you just completed! Just back away slowly... and close that browser tab...

While EPC may run with newer versions of Java... I haven't tried it. Perhaps someone else can chime in here if they have been successful.

Step 4. Launch and enjoy EPC!
    As I have said before, if you have made it this far, you've got this from here! Simply go to the EPC login page here, and enter your credentials. Then click the 'Launch EPC' link on the home page. The first time you click, you might have to tell your computer what application to use to open the EPC program. When the dialog box pops up, select 'Java Web Start' from the menu. You'll then be presented with several dialog boxes asking if you want to 'Run' various programs (which you do). If you'd like to disable the dialog pop ups, just check the little box in the window before you click 'Run'.

Eventually you'll get to here:

So that's it! Hopefully this helps someone... Or possibly myself if I ever have to go through this again!

Since I'm just a newb at this, there are probably 99,999,999,999 better ways to achieve the same result. If you have variations on the above theme that have worked, I'd LOVE to hear them, I'd even be happy to edit the tutorial to include them if they are snappy enough.

Additionally, if you attempt to follow this crappy tutorial and become stuck, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll help to the best of my abilities (which isn't saying much!) There is probably pretty good chance I have just left something vital out unintentionally out of haste.

I do have an email out to the EPC guys asking what they are planning on doing once support for Java in the Mozilla ESR browser goes away. I'll update this if I hear anything back from them on the subject.

Cheers!

-Jon

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

8899 (09-13-2017), Eno (09-13-2017), gsxr (09-12-2017), Jlaa (09-13-2017), M104-AMG (09-14-2017), TerryA (09-13-2017), Trae (09-13-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: EPC Access in 2017 - installation on a Win10 machine

Epic post. Thank you Jon!!

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (09-13-2017)

I had EPC working on my Mac for quite a while using a virtual machine. The Mac took a major, unrelated, dump one day and I basically had to restore the operating system to original out of the box and the virtual machine and EPC were gone. So, it can be done and I believe Gerry accesses EPC on a Mac.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

TerryA (09-13-2017)

Thank you Jon for helping to setup the Windows 10 guys. I know how frustrating it can be.

I run EPC + WIS on a iMac (latest OS as of this writing) that I purchased via one of the eBay providers. Got a bum DVD so the seller just pointed me to a download site of his to get the files. I run VirtualBox, the latest version (freeware), and everything works great. Its EPC + WIS.

1) go to virtualbox.org and download the latest OS X version, and install it. This is Oracle supported community developed freeware, no spam, or ads or anything

2) get the 37GB WISEPC 2015 OVA.ova file on your MAC <----- this is the part you buy on eBay in separate parts on a DVD and then merge all the files together

3) double click the WISEPC 2015 OVA.ova file and it will launch VirtualBox and import it (there should be an import button)

4) Then all you do is run VirtualBox and click the Green Arrow to Launch WindowsXP on your Mac with EWA net inside right on the desktop. Its amazing. Has EPC & WIS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RicardoD; 09-12-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    RicardoD
    1990 964 C4 / 1991 964 C2 tip
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

a777fan (09-13-2017), Maui (09-13-2017), TerryA (09-13-2017), Trae (09-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoD View Post
    Thank you Jon for helping to setup the Windows 10 guys. I know how frustrating it can be.

I run EPC + WIS on a iMac (latest OS as of this writing) that I purchased via one of the eBay providers. Got a bum DVD so the seller just pointed me to a download site of his to get the files. I run VirtualBox, the latest version (freeware), and everything works great. Its EPC + WIS.

1) go to virtualbox.org and download the latest OS X version, and install it. This is Oracle supported community developed freeware, no spam, or ads or anything

2) get the 37GB WISEPC 2015 OVA.ova file on your MAC <----- this is the part you buy on eBay in separate parts on a DVD and then merge all the files together

3) double click the WISEPC 2015 OVA.ova file and it will launch VirtualBox and import it (there should be an import button)

4) Then all you do is run VirtualBox and click the Green Arrow to Launch WindowsXP on your Mac with EWA net inside right on the desktop. Its amazing. Has EPC & WIS.
    That's awesome! I was wondering if there was free VM software out there for the Mac. I'll have to look into this as the inside compy is a Mac and the outside compy is a PC!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

TerryA (09-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    I had EPC working on my Mac for quite a while using a virtual machine. The Mac took a major, unrelated, dump one day and I basically had to restore the operating system to original out of the box and the virtual machine and EPC were gone. So, it can be done and I believe Gerry accesses EPC on a Mac.
    Good to know. I used to have Xp installed via bootcamp on my old mac, but I never ponied up on my newest. Looks like Ricardo has a great suggestion for a free XP VM which should be able to support as he describes below. I'll have to check it out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

TerryA (09-13-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Related question: Does anyone know a source for a reasonably current (2016-2017 vintage) native EPC+WIS installation? Native meaning it's not a virtual box / virtual machine and will install directly on Windows 7.

I'm currently running a native 2012 EPC+WIS on Win7 Pro, but I've been unable to locate any eBay vendor selling a newer version of the same. They're all hawking the virtual stuff. Just like with cars, I'm a speed junkie and don't like the sluggishness; I also like the ability to have the screen fill my QHD display...

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    it can be done and I believe Gerry accesses EPC on a Mac.
    Yes, I use VMware Fusion Desktop for Mac and run EPC on it using Windows XP. Works just fine. PITA to boot up, but once booted it runs at native speed.

I run WIS on a Dell laptop that I use as a shop computer. Honestly I rarely use it though.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    (snip)
    Cheers!

-Jon
    I do run EPC on my work laptop (a Windows 7 Enterprise machine) just fine using the very latest version of Java 8.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

a777fan (09-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Yes, I use VMware Fusion Desktop for Mac and run EPC on it using Windows XP. Works just fine. PITA to boot up, but once booted it runs at native speed.
    VirtualBox on my iMac is very quick, from launch of Virtual Box to using EPC feels quick, I never get impatient with it and my tolerance for slow apps is low.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoD View Post

Thank you for this tip for us Mac users! Ricardo, regarding step 1 ---- is WinXP included with VirtualBox or do I need to install WinXP? Or does WinXP come on the "37GB WISEPC 2015.ova" files?

Cheers
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

WinXP comes on the big OVA file.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife