Thread: Rear SLS shocks help required.

Rear SLS shocks help required.

Dear all

I think one of my rear shocks needs replacing - it is making lots of noise. I have been reading on the forum and it seems like the Sachs SLS shocks are not direct replacements for the OEM MB parts - is that correct?

I think the faulty shock is already a replacement, it has Sachs part number 01 2400 102 256 (which I do not think is the right one). The other shock has MB part number 124 320 43 13 which I think is an original.

Based on my research Sachs 102 503 seems to be the right part as a replacement. I propose to replace both shocks at the same time along with the shock fitting kit.

Many thanks!

Re: Rear SLS shocks help required.

The accumulators could be bad, check them first. My accumulators were bad, which then impacted my shocks, since there was no dampening from the accum's. Did you notice a drop in the SLS fluid level? This generally indicates the membrane inside one or both of the accumulators has ruptured.

If you can see a worn or broken lower bushing in the strut, then you definitely want to replace with OEM.i recently replaced both struts, accumulators and upper mounts, and car feels great!
    1992 500E - 215k miles

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IslandMon For This Useful Post:

e500.org (4 Weeks Ago)

Here's a How To that will give you a lot of info on the SLS struts.

http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8133

I recall that when the struts from MB (which are made by Sachs) have a different internal Sachs part number than the ones directly from Sachs. That MIGHT mean there is a difference between the OEM MB and the Sachs branded units, but as far as I know, no one has demonstrated there is a difference. The Sachs units are cheaper though. I went with MB, but others have used the Sachs ones without any reported issues.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Melville For This Useful Post:

e500.org (4 Weeks Ago)

Thanks I didn't see that post earlier. It looks like Gerry also used the Sachs 102 503 rear SLS shocks, therefore I assume they are sutiable for the E500, which is also in line with the research I have done. I am going to replace the pair and keep the right MB shock as a spare.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to e500.org For This Useful Post:

nocfn (4 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by e500.org View Post
    Thanks I didn't see that post earlier. It looks like Gerry also used the Sachs 102 503 rear SLS shocks, therefore I assume they are sutiable for the E500, which is also in line with the research I have done. I am going to replace the pair and keep the right MB shock as a spare.
    That is correct. The Sachs 102 503 is a direct replacement for the MB unit (also made by Sachs), although to be honest it is (or at least WAS) not a whole lot cheaper than the factory unit, and for US folks I don't believe it carries the same two-year parts warranty that the factory unit does.

That being said, SLS squibs should be good for at least 100,000 miles as long as the fluid is changed with regularity and any failed accumulators have been taken care of.

Cheers,
    Gerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (4 Weeks Ago)

Cheers Gerry. A pair of OEM parts is just under $1,600 here in Dubai. A set from the UK for the Sachs part is $500 for the pair, so a substantial saving there. If the saving was marginal I would be inclined to install the OEM parts.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to e500.org For This Useful Post:

JC220 (4 Weeks Ago)