Thread: Longest Trip on Your E500/500E?

Longest Trip on Your E500/500E?

Just curious as I am planning a 1400 mile round trip from Northern California to Utah in a few weeks. Perhaps anything I’d need to keep in mind? Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Raxar For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Re: Longest Trip on Your E500/500E?

I think around 2600 miles last September. From SoCal to the Pacific Northwest as far as Victoria and back. No issues, just great driving
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Glen For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

I've done one trip to Tampa (+900 miles) and two round trips to/from Atlanta (four drives of 650 miles each). The only issue I had was a malfunctioning windshield wiper mechanism. Rain-X on the windshield kept things clear until I got to Jono's shop (luckily I was pretty close to Atlanta when it happened). So my advice would be to apply Rain-X before your trip.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melville For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

My trips tend to be 2-300m each way when I take the car outside of town. Since I have been driving a 91 C126 for almost 6 years, that back of the mind fear has gone away. However, the car did perform great on the latest round trip. The next day I took a short trip to the other side of town and my reverse piston went out. Point is that new or old, when something mechanical goes it makes no difference where it is. Expect the best, drive like you stole it!
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Raxar View Post
    Just curious as I am planning a 1400 mile round trip from Northern California to Utah in a few weeks. Perhaps anything I’d need to keep in mind? Thanks!
    Sarasota to Opelousas, LA (about 900 miles each way), a couple of months after I bought it in 2011. Fun drive, while I "dialed in" the new stereo (I didn't even consider keeping the original one in there). Sarasota to Miami to Atlanta to Sarasota a couple years later (another 1600 miles).

Things to keep in mind: (1) slap that shifter down to 3 liberally; (2) enjoy the engine notes if you have a "real" exhaust; and (3) a big bottle of Chevron Techron each way on long trips works minor miracles.

;-D

I had issues on all trips. Nothing that left me stranded, but typical "500E that hadn't been driven much" stuff -- wiper, NSS. NOCFN has it right, when things go, they just go. But it's a hearty car overall.

Cheers,

maw
    Last edited by maw1124; 1 Week Ago at 08:31 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

1500 miles in the E420, Malmö - Trondheim and back plus some extra driving in Trondheim area. I drove 680 miles to Trondheim with only stops for fuel and food, since my wife was about to give birth to my son. When passing Lillehammer I had 6 degrees F outside, with summer tires and no ASR. This was the 10th of April, my som was born on the 11th at 10 am, I made it to the hospital at 7 am. The 034 performed perfect!

With the 500E the longest trip was about 500 miles, and that was when we bought it and drove it home. A very sweet drive indeed!

Things to keep in mind apart from the obvious with fluids, tires etc, is to check that you have air in the spare tire, the jack is there, and working. I keep some basic tools in the trunk (small socket wrench set etc), along with my spare EZL. I r&r’ed the alternator by the roadside on my 300CE once. You can solve alot of small and big issues with a few but well chosen tools.

I usually make sure to renew the fuel in my jerry can at the first fuel up stop, if I haven’t done it recently.

Know what insurance/road side assistance you have (yes, I’ve had the need to call for help on one occasion where I didn’t remember which insurance company I had. I just paid the bills for years...) and the phone number for them stored. But that’s basics really.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

sheward (1 Week Ago)

I've made multiple trips from 1500 to 2000 miles. It's been mentioned here before to carry extra lug bolts for the spare if you should happen to run aftermarket/staggered or non standard OEM wheels. Enjoy the drive! These cars are all about this kind of driving.

Drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by sheward View Post
    I've made multiple trips from 1500 to 2000 miles. It's been mentioned here before to carry extra lug bolts for the spare if you should happen to run aftermarket/staggered or non standard OEM wheels. Enjoy the drive! These cars are all about this kind of driving.

Drew
    The bolt advice is great! Also remember that if you fitted the Silver Arrow brakes, the stock 16” spare won’t fit up front. Either get a 17” spare (with matching bolts) or be prepared to rotate tires around if you have a flat up front.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

Appreciate all the advice everyone, makes me excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Raxar View Post
    Appreciate all the advice everyone, makes me excited!
    Don't forget to enjoy it! Even if something happens. When I broke my drive axle, I had a nice chat with the tow truck guy, he was totally into Mopars and talked about his new V8 for his Plymouth all the way back to my garage. It was a good time, between two car guys. I told him about my car, and recommended him to watch Roadkill and the rest of the shows on the TEN network. A good day even though my car broke down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

Hakie (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), nocfn (1 Week Ago), Raxar (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Also -- keep an eye on the speedo. These cars accelerate so effortlessly above 60mph that you could easily find yourself in speeding ticket range. On my last trip to Atlanta I got my first speeding ticket in over 20 years.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melville For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago), Raxar (1 Week Ago)

I drove 2,500 miles from Santa Barbara, CA to Northville, MI in January. If you're going to drive in cold or if there's a chance of snow, make sure you have All Season tires mounted and de-icing windshield washer fluid in the reservoir. Believe me, Summer tires and summer windshield washer fluid does not make for a fun drive in the cold and snow!

If the car hasn't been driven in a while, things have a tendency to break. The passenger-side window motor failed on my trip. I suggest you bring a modest tool kit, some zip ties and duct tape--outside of an AmEx Platinum card, these are a traveler's three best friends.

If you have a few minutes, here's a summary of my trip: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/show...ll=1#post93132

Safe travels!
    Max

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to makemann For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    Also -- keep an eye on the speedo. These cars accelerate so effortlessly above 60mph that you could easily find yourself in speeding ticket range. On my last trip to Atlanta I got my first speeding ticket in over 20 years.

Cruise control is your friend. And Valentine One is your best friend.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Yeah... I think it was on one of those trips that I noticed the car “settles in” at 90MPH. Just seems to like it there. I also noticed how the exhaust note remained so utterly constant with the cruise on 79MPH — for hours. It was just good car geek fun.

maw

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

nocfn (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post

Cruise control is your friend. And Valentine One is your best friend.

You're going to think I'm crazy but I HATE cruise control. It always feels weird if my right foot isn't doing something when I'm driving.

Also, when I visited Gerry, he noticed my car is already wired to power a Valentine 1. I always thought that cable above my passenger side visor was for an old garage door opener or something. Unfortunately, living in DC, I don't want to risk it. It's bad news if you are caught with a radar detector in DC or VA. Potential repercussions aren't worth it to me, so I rely on Waze. And as luck would have it, on my trip to Atlanta when I got my ticket, Waze wasn't loading up properly so I wasn't using it.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Melville For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

E500E Guru

I went from Texas to Atlanta and made a few stops along the way of a week. We did about ~3500 miles. No problems at all. I think these cars are much better road cars than city commuters.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

doolar (1 Week Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    You're going to think I'm crazy but I HATE cruise control. It always feels weird if my right foot isn't doing something when I'm driving.

Also, when I visited Gerry, he noticed my car is already wired to power a Valentine 1. I always thought that cable above my passenger side visor was for an old garage door opener or something. Unfortunately, living in DC, I don't want to risk it. It's bad news if you are caught with a radar detector in DC or VA. Potential repercussions aren't worth it to me, so I rely on Waze. And as luck would have it, on my trip to Atlanta when I got my ticket, Waze wasn't loading up properly so I wasn't using it.

I understand. I like to drive as fast as conditions (weather, traffic, range of sight/officers) allow and prefer to stay fully engaged, within the law of course, only using the cruise when my leg succumbs to paralysis. No radar detection for me either. As you said, some states and officers can be brutal about them.

Drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

Melville (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Toronto, ON - Great Falls/Vienna,VA for Katies Cars n Coffee, 2015 DC E500E GTG & Deutsche Marque Classic, Vienna, VA. About 1300 miles. ZERO Issues. Done nothing to car since then & I would not hesitate to do the trip again.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to autoworrks For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (1 Week Ago), Ntrepid (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Come back to Katie's! We'll get the rest of the Melville's W124.036 Entourage, Greater Washington Chapter together.

Robert

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

Melville (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

About 600 miles round trip from Portland to Medford for some training for work. Not a single hiccup... Well, the back portion of the heated seat went out on the way home. In fact, that same problem on my R129, right now. This car, on all weather tires, woas like a slot car through the passes in Southern OR. Just a dream to drive! About 15 miles out of Portland I got a thumbs up from a guy in an E30; I knew it was gunna be a good trip.

I took my ‘95 E320 wagon (I know, not the topic of conversation) to Monterey Car Week this year, about 1,500 miles round trip. It just settles in at 80 and clicks miles off.

These se cars are all so good at hyper-miling. Nothing more than a 40 mile commute in the SL, yet. But, I get the sense it’s every bit as good as the other two. I do find, if I’m honest, that the 500E is a more comfortable car.