Thread: Outside Temp

Outside Temp

This is just a bit of trivia, but here is a snap I took of the dash in my old Limited whilst stuck in traffic in Dubai a few years ago. I do believe the LCD temp readout was telling the truth...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Outside Temp

Hi impressive...
    But why does it have a little pin on the speedometers disc? The disc looks like from another W124 Model with 5-Gear manual or automatik gearbox, according to range-marks.
    Christian K.
    06/1992 500E - DB199 Blauschwarz-Metallic
    09/1989 300E - DB172 Anthrazitgrau-Metallic
    11/1998 E430 - DB339 Violan-Metallic
    06/2003 CL55 AMG KOMPRESSOR - DB197 Obsidianschwarz-Metallic

Correct, that car had an incorrect speedo fitted, I ended up replacing the gauge cluster housing and speedometer later.

Dubai, UAE: Galway, Ireland: London UK, Bangkok, Thailand

Mike, how does your engine temp hold up in these conditions? Is it worth having the 'Cool Harness' installed for the summer temperatures experienced over here?

My engine has been hitting 105oC+ over the past few weeks after about 20 minutes of driving (highway + town) in 35oC+ ambients. Various posts on here don't seem to consider this engine temperature a serious problem.

BTW, I thought my E 'needs a lot of work' Limited was the only one over here. I shall have to keep an eye out for your old 'doppelganger'
    1995 E500 Limited

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

dubaipaddy, is your mechanical fan clutch engaged at those temps? When the dash gauge is showing 100C (or higher), pop the hood and rev the engine sloooowly to about 3000rpm. The fan should roar very loudly as RPM increases. If the roar starts above idle but then dies off around ~1000rpm, the fan clutch is shot. If your fan clutch is original, it might be due for replacement. Check this first before messing with the Cool Harness.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Indeed, from recent experience with my E320 wagon, and replacement on the fan clutch on that car ..... if your fan clutch is working correctly & at full efficiency, the temperature should be holding between the 80 and 100C marks on the temp gauge and not heading much if ever north of the 100C mark. The exception to this would be in 90+F outside temperatures and ONLY if you are sitting still / idling for a VERY LONG period with the air conditioning on. My E320 was always (for the past few years) going up almost to the 120C mark (redline) in hot summer Houston temperatures. I replaced the fan clutch a couple of months ago and I have only seen the temp gauge crack the 100C line one time since them, despite hot temperatures and heavy use.

A CoolHarness shouldn't REALLY be necessary if the fan clutch and cooling system are all operating up to snuff. In my best estimation, I'd bet that 80% of peoples' fan clutches are not operating up to spec and likely require replacement. Something for people to consider.

In terms of the outside temperature gauge, I have had my own E500 [ambient air] temp gauge above 120F when sitting at a long traffic light (or in stop and go traffic) on a 90-95F Houston summer day. Next time I see a high temp I'll take a photo of it and post it here. No big whoop.

Cheers,
    Gerry

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz
    In terms of the outside temperature gauge, I have had my own E500 temp gauge above 120F when sitting at a long traffic light (or in stop and go traffic) on a 90-95F Houston summer day. Next time I see a high temp I'll take a photo of it and post it here. No big whoop.
    Gerry, did you mean 120C, or 100C, rather than 120F? I consider 100-105C to be no big deal (in high ambients) but I'd be flipping the heater on max before it touched 120C!!

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yes I meant 120F for the digital outside temp readout above the steering column, NOT the cooling system temp needle in the instrument binnacle.

Dubai, UAE: Galway, Ireland: London UK, Bangkok, Thailand

Many thanks for the suggestions.

The fan clutch is relatively new with plenty of roar and no free wheeling. It seems to be working OK and when expected. I believe the water pump and all hoses are all fairly new as well (all changed by the PO but I have not checked the actual water flow). Coolant levels (using MB coolant) correct. I have not checked the thermostat.

Temp gauge showing 110C today after a few hours driving in 40-42C ambient . The gauge doesn't seem to move much whether sitting in traffic or on the move at reasonable speed. Both electric fans seem to kick into high speed between 105-110C but no noticable temp drop on the dash gauge. No obvious blockages in the radiator fins but might try air blasting the fins this weekend.

I don't want to appear to be pinching this post so will look into the above and probably post up in a new thread.
    1995 E500 Limited

I recently replaced radiator / hoses and thermostat and as you can see, from this picture taken just a few days ago in Dubai on an open back road not in traffic you can see that even at 46C (116F), it is not running that hot, Gerry is right not uncommon in desert areas to see 50C on the digital ambient gauge in traffic, my car does not exceed 110 on the engine temp gauge now at all (well not yet anyway).

I see you bought that car Paddy... no sense looking for my old car as I took it down to Oz and lives in Perth these days, but there are at least 4 other limited cars in Dubai that I have seen myself, and there are bound to be more locked away in villa garages.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

OK, I will take a traffic jam photo of my temp gauge. We've been having a very hot spring/summer here in Houston this year (just yesterday it was 101F, supposed to be 98F today) and I have seen temperatures of 115F (46C) on my temperature gauge MANY times while sitting in traffic.... this is generally when the temp gauge is (as Fudge shows) indicating around 100C).

Cheers,
    Gerry

Hi. I have no reading whatsoever on my outside temperature gauge (on dash just below the speedo)...what is the likely cause of this? Thanks!
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)

Quote Originally Posted by 8899 View Post
    Hi. I have no reading whatsoever on my outside temperature gauge (on dash just below the speedo)...what is the likely cause of this? Thanks!
    Hello Greg.

It is one of three; broken temp.display, broken sensor, or broken cable. (..or the sensor is disconnected from the display for some reason).

Cheers
    Last edited by 500AMM; 09-25-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

Arnt & Bing

Thank you. Interesting how knowledge on this topic gets easily buried within the forum...I did perform a search on this topic and found this thread. Yet seems like the answer to my question is on two other threads.
    Greg
    '94 E500

Greg
    '94 E500

Yep , standard fit on all W124s i believe. Part now superceded to 000 542-72-27 (farenheit) but essentially the same.
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

Quote Originally Posted by fudgitive View Post
    I recently replaced radiator / hoses and thermostat and as you can see, from this picture taken just a few days ago in Dubai on an open back road not in traffic you can see that even at 46C (116F), it is not running that hot, Gerry is right not uncommon in desert areas to see 50C on the digital ambient gauge in traffic, my car does not exceed 110 on the engine temp gauge now at all (well not yet anyway).

I see you bought that car Paddy... no sense looking for my old car as I took it down to Oz and lives in Perth these days, but there are at least 4 other limited cars in Dubai that I have seen myself, and there are bound to be more locked away in villa garages.
    if your cooling system is ok,remove the 2 rubbers under the hood,and the plastic cover under the engine then the tempresure will not exceed 90-92.even if you stop and the ac is full,i try it.temp out side 40-42.