Thread: HOW-TO: Repair Inoperable Power Headrests

500E Terminus Illuminatus DerFuror's Avatar

HOW-TO: Repair Inoperable Power Headrests

The power front-seat headrests are often found inoperable in W124 cars because of repetitive manual adjustment of the headrest height. Let’s face the facts… most people don’t read owner’s manuals, are completely unaware that power headrests even exist, or don’t listen when you provide operational instruction. Manually adjusting the headrest height will eventually discombobulate the headrest’s internal mechanical components, leaving them piled in a heap at the base of the seatback.

There are usually three reasons for inoperable headrests:

1. Components have fallen apart
    2. Components have broken
    3. Electrical failure

My passenger seat headrest became inoperable. I held off from blaming my nephew until I could investigate. I had demonstrated how to adjust the headrest before leaving on a roadtrip. He only adjusted it once during the trip. A few days later, my sister was unable to adjust the headrest on the way home. A critical internal polymer component of the Adjusting Rail had broken. I think age & use was the actual culprit. A new Adjusting Rail unit can be had from parts.com for @ $20. I am fortunate to have a “Pickapart” yard a few minutes away. I liberated two units from a willing donor Benz.

This “HOW-TO” will show you how to inspect/repair an inoperable power headrest.

Reference Info:

• EPC Grp 91 Front Seats, SubGrp 060 Front Seat & Headrest
    • FSM 91-190 Removal & Installation of tensioning member on driver’s or front passenger backrest
    • FSM 91-060 Removal & Installation of adjusting rail for head restraint

Tools:
    Philips head screwdriver
    Body trim removal set
    Straight Pick
    Pliers
    Gleitpaste

Here’s what to do if your headrests won’t work properly.

1. First verify that the headrest motor still works by listening to the lower seatback while pressing the door-mounted headrest switch up & down. Proceed with the FSM instructions if you can hear the motor running.

There is an electrical delivery issue to investigate if you do not hear the motor running.

2. Although stated in the FSM, it is not necessary to remove the head restraint in order to inspect/repair the control mechanisms. But if you want to remove the head rest…:

a. Using the control switch, tilt the seatback forward

b. Using the control switch, move the seatbottom forward so you have room to work from the rear seat

c. Open the sliding roof (for air, light & extra room to operate)

d. Ensure the head rest is seated in the fully “UP” position.

e. Press in the head restraint removal button located on the seatback. This will disengage the headrest from its slide rail connection. Look toward the upper left center of the seatback; you will see its circular outline on the seatback material.

f. Lift the head restraint straight up & out of the seatback.

3. The FSM 91-190 procedure is pretty straight-forward. As instructed, remove the seatback cover & inspect what parts have accumulated at the bottom of the seatback. If you are lucky, the items only need to be reassembled. The Adjusting Rail has two knobs that fit into corresponding holes in the vertical metal guide rail of seat back structure. The knobs are held in place by a sliding lock plate.

Make the effort to re-lube the Adjusting Rail’s Pinion Gear Housing internals with Gleitpaste or equivalent. The Gear Housing is a two-piece assembly made of a white polymer material pinned together with two pins of the same material. To properly lube the gear, or if the Housing has separated from the rail, separate the housing by removing the pins. The pins can be pushed out using a straight pick or equivalent. Place the rail back within the housing & pin the housing back together.

Within the housing is a metallic gear. A spring shaft fits into the gear on one end & the electric motor on the other end. The midsection of the shaft fits thru a loop attached to the opposite vertical metal guide rail structure of the seatback. Make sure the shaft is fit thru this loop. The loop holds the rotating shaft in position while operating the headrest.

4. Reassemble the components as specified in FSM 91-160. Make sure the sliding lock plate is firmly seated in the “Lock” position.

5. Upon successful testing of your work, reassemble the Seat Back (aka “Clamping Member”) back into position as specified in FSM 91-190. Laterally pull around, then press the Backrest Covering into its “J” channel with the palms of your hands. Screw the two screws back into the bottom of the Seat Back.

Now enjoy an operational headrest again. :grin:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DerFuror; 10-02-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: numbering format corrected
    " Destination ???, It's the ride that takes you there! "
    1993 500E W124.036 040/271
    1965 220b W111.010 Heckflosse

Re: HOW-TO Repair Inoperable Power Headrests

Fabulous, that is my word of the week - discombobulate !

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Great write-up! The very late 124's (mid-1994 model year & up) use a slightly different rail, although the two may be interchangeable. Pics below:

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Thank you. The rail on the MY93 is gray in color. The contemporary C280 is was expecting to ravage was no longer in the Pickapart yard after only one month (although it still appeared on their website).

The rails I liberated were actually from a MY89 W126 Land-Barge & white in color. Dimensionally the same, but slightly different in the spring-tensioned slider area. The entire MY89 Adjusting Rail will still work as a complete replacement, but I only used the Gear Housing (which is an exact duplicate of the MY93 Gear Housing).

Essentially, my car's Adjusting Rail still looks & works exactly like a MY93 500E's.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by DerFuror View Post
    a MY89 W126 Land-Barge
    Hey, watch what you're calling a land barge there. I happen to have a 1989 126 chassis. If you put it up to a 140, a 220 or a 221 it's most definitely NOT a land barge. Particularly compared to the 140.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Hey, watch what you're calling a land barge there...
    Duly noted, but all scuttled on dry-dock as it was...sadly, a Land Barge (still with a lot of salvageable goodies available before the final float to the scrapper).

But at one time it most definitely was a beautiful top-notch Land Yacht.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I see .. I thought you were commenting on the mass of the car, as opposed to it's perma-docked status.

There is an electrical delivery issue to investigate if you do not hear the motor running.
    Where do you start if this is the case?
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

excellent! Have the same issue on my c36amg... the motor works, but the headrest is only."rattling". Will checking it out according to this guide soon. Should be similar in design on the W202
    Christian K.
    06/1992 500E - DB199 Blauschwarz-Metallic
    09/1989 300E - DB172 Anthrazitgrau-Metallic
    11/1998 E430 - DB339 Violan-Metallic
    06/2003 CL55 AMG KOMPRESSOR - DB197 Obsidianschwarz-Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Where do you start if this is the case?
    Bing, not to ever discourage the asking of questions, but you realize by asking this question, you are shooting that E500E Guru title all to hell?

If the motor isn't functioning, trace its circuit from the easy to the difficult, ensuring that electricity is reaching each component (Fuses, relays, motor, switches). This investigation is a process of elimination.

Consider starting with fuses, but disregard this step if the other seat adjustments are working (particularly backrest movement). Also, if fuses #2 & #3 are faulty, you'll have many more very obvious inoperable features throughout the car besides headrest.

- Fuse#2 (seat adjustment)
    - Fuse#3 (front seat adjustment & memory)
    - Fuse E (front seat adjustment for backrest, headrest & memory)

Check if electrical connection for motor is disconnected. Check if electricity reaches this connection.

Try to directly energize motor from alternate power source. If it doesn't work, the motor is no good. Replace.

If motor is good, check front seat headrest adjustment relay under front seat. Exchange relay with a known working relay or use diagnostic tool.

If relay is good, check headrest control switch on door. Exchange with a known working switch or use diagnostic tool.

If the components all test ok, the wiring between components is suspect (possibly pinched or cut). Check the wire run between the inoperable component & the last operating component along the circuit.

A diagnostic tool like this helps tremendously...PowerProbe.jpg

Derf - you forgot one thing (...unbelievably...)

The switches for the headrest often get contact problems over time, simply due to rarely operation. They need some massage from time to time to be OK (...just as the rheostat switch for the instrument light dimming located in the cluster)

Cheers
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 500AMM View Post
    Derf - you forgot one thing...
    Arnt, the control switch is mentioned @ paragraph 7. I agree it would be surprising to forget that very important part of the headrest circuit.

"If relay is good, check headrest control switch on door. Exchange with a known working switch or use diagnostic tool."

Bing, not to ever discourage the asking of questions, but you realize by asking this question, you are shooting that E500E Guru title all to hell?
    I knew I'd get dissed by the derf.
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

Arnt, the control switch is mentioned @ paragraph 7. I agree it would be surprising to forget that very important part of the headrest circuit.

"If relay is good, check headrest control switch on door. Exchange with a known working switch or use diagnostic tool."
    You did?!? Oh no - you got me!
    I'm a bit fast sometimes - but it brings me forward anyway..

Thanks for a good write up anyway.
    Last edited by 500AMM; 09-09-2016 at 01:42 AM.
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

What about inoperable rear headrests on a 93 500E

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by bgreene30 View Post
    What about inoperable rear headrests on a 93 500E
    FYI... the rear headrests only power down (not up), the engine must be running, and the rear window sun shade must be fully retracted.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

... and sometimes you have to hold the button down for a bit....

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yes, make sure the rear sun shade is pushed down into its slot. Then 99% of the time the rear headrests will retract.

If that doesn't do the trick, you'll need to check the vacuum circuit with a MityVac. There is a small round vacuum element for each headrest, which contains a rubber diaphragm. These can go bad with age, but they are pretty well protected so I haven't seen this as a problem up until now. Like has been said, 99% of the time, it's the rear sun shade not being quite totally retracted so that the button in its slot is pushed down.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Any tips on how to remove the seat back? I removed the 2 screws and then loosened the seat back all along the J-channel...but it just won't pop out. Does the headrest HAVE to be removed first? Thx
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

With the two bottom screws removed, and the leather carefully removed from the side channels COMPLETELY, the back/pocket should slide down & out. Might need to use some muscle, but nothing else holds it in place. No need to remove the headrest first.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

Dave, thx. Won't budge! Guess I'm off to an upholstery shop...spend, spend, spend.
    Greg
    '94 E500

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Greg, once the 2 screws and side leather is removed from the channel, there is nothing else holding the back in place. Try prying out gently at the bottom. The worst part is getting the leather out of the side channels, without damaging it.

Perfect timing on this thread resurrection. My '95 diesel driver's side headrest just quit and I can hear grinding of crispy plastic bits going on when the switch is activated. Gotta plug that part number into parts.com and see what the damage will be. $22.20, not too awful bad.
    Allgonquin

Objects in closer are mirror than they appear

Quote Originally Posted by Allgonquin View Post
    Perfect timing on this thread resurrection. My '95 diesel driver's side headrest just quit and I can hear grinding of crispy plastic bits going on when the switch is activated. Gotta plug that part number into parts.com and see what the damage will be. $22.20, not too awful bad.
    Hi Allgonquin...been a while! I have the parts you need...turns out that I bought rails and the slide mechanism for both front seats yet it turns out that my passenger front seat headrest works as designed. I think it was just kinda stuck in the lowest position. Anyhoo...I will send you a pm of what I have and perhaps save you some dosh.

BTW, never got the seat back cover off of my driver's seat...curious to hear how you approach it.
    Greg
    '94 E500

Sweet - thanks Greg. I'll take them if you want to sell them.
    Allgonquin

Just wanted to say thanks to Derf and to Greg. I just completed this repair on my driver's side headrest. The "car" which rides on the track which Derf more properly calls the slide mechanism gear housing was cracked on mine, although it had not fallen completely off. It would have taken me MUCH longer to do this repair if I was flying blind. I'll raise a pint to you folks next time I'm at the bar, which could be tonight!

FYI my car, a '95 diesel C072474 with build date 11/93 had the gray track, the top one in Dave's photo. Although the black and gray will both fit, I think if you replace the gray with the black you will have too little travel on the headrest.

Rgds,
    Chris
    Allgonquin

E500E Guru

Looking at Dave's pictures the grey track has more travel than the black one... so if the rests have less travel- you can use the later in the early cars, but not the other way around.. general MB design.

Michael

Re: HOW-TO: Repair Inoperable Power Headrests

Is there any trick or technique to reinstalling the headrests? I took mine out to remove the sheepskin seat covers that have been on the car for about 20 years. Someone told me a little while ago that you have to be very careful in reinstalling the headrests or you could break the interior mechanism. He didn't give me any more detail than that and I can't find any instructions on how to put them back in. My guess is that it's so easy that people don't bother describing how to do it, but I'd rather ask a stupid question now and have functional headrests than have a broken headrest and my stupidity kept secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    Is there any trick or technique to reinstalling the headrests? I took mine out to remove the sheepskin seat covers that have been on the car for about 20 years. Someone told me a little while ago that you have to be very careful in reinstalling the headrests or you could break the interior mechanism. He didn't give me any more detail than that and I can't find any instructions on how to put them back in. My guess is that it's so easy that people don't bother describing how to do it, but I'd rather ask a stupid question now and have functional headrests than have a broken headrest and my stupidity kept secret.
    Run the headrest tracks all the way up by holding the switch in the up position until you hear the motor stop running. If it never stops running, your mechanism is broken. Once the track is all the way up, simply insert the headrest legs into the bores while visualzing them straight relative to the backrest rear cover. You may have to lower the seat and/or recline the backrest to do it smoothly. Once you feel some resistance, apply a light downward force to it until you feel it "click" into the retainer on the track. That will only be few millimeters of additional downward travel. If there is no sensation of a detent click, you either allowed the legs to go too far forward and missed the track and/or the track is broken. Broken tracks are common, and they are easy and cheap to replace, so don't freak out, go postal, or otherwise wig if that's the case...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    Broken tracks are common, and they are easy and cheap to replace, so don't freak out, go postal, or otherwise wig if that's the case...
    Thank you sir! And as you know, I'm prone to wigging out when things go wrong, but I promise it will only last a few minutes. Serenity now, serenity now...

Good question. Thanks for the tutorial, Herr Klink!

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

Hmm. Everything seemed to go according to plan but the headrests didn't go down when I pressed the button. The motor stopped going eventually when I pressed it up, and it clicked nicely when I inserted the headrest legs. I'm planning on taking the car to an upholsterer soon to fix the B-pillars so I'll see if they can do it. If I figure out that I was doing something wrong, I'll update here so others with 0.5 on a 1-10 DIY ability scale might be able to do it properly later.

Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    Hmm. Everything seemed to go according to plan but the headrests didn't go down when I pressed the button. The motor stopped going eventually when I pressed it up, and it clicked nicely when I inserted the headrest legs. I'm planning on taking the car to an upholsterer soon to fix the B-pillars so I'll see if they can do it. If I figure out that I was doing something wrong, I'll update here so others with 0.5 on a 1-10 DIY ability scale might be able to do it properly later.
    To close the loop on this, I took my car to an upholsterer to get the b-pillars fixed and asked about my headrests. He just gave them a little bit more of a push to pop them in place. I was just being a little too gentle. I guess when I heard the click, that was the start of getting the legs in place but I didn't follow through enough.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Melville For This Useful Post:

gsxr (08-23-2015)