Thread: 1st Gear Start Valve Body

Keyboard Warrior

1st Gear Start Valve Body

First gear start valve body (tested) to make your 036 really take off from the line.

$375. shipped to your door in the lower 48 States, a little more to Alaska and Hawaii and probably a lot more to the rest of the world, but I will ship most anywhere.

Thanks,

Ron

SOLD

Thanks to everyone who replied.
    Last edited by Ron500E; 11-22-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Re: 1st Gear Start Valve Body

I would be grateful if someone could generally describe what the installation of a 1st gear start valve body involves. I would not DIY this project... so really just looking for a high-level explanation of what it entails and approximately how much a mechanic would charge to do the job. HUGE thanks.
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

Quote Originally Posted by 8899 View Post
    I would be grateful if someone could generally describe what the installation of a 1st gear start valve body involves. I would not DIY this project... so really just looking for a high-level explanation of what it entails and approximately how much a mechanic would charge to do the job. HUGE thanks.
    Hi Greg

Have look at the enclosed file; W124 Valve Body Removal,_installation, automatic_transmission_722.pdf

Cheers
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by 8899 View Post
    Greg:

If you get a valve body that doesn't need disassembly, like the one I have for sale (shameless plug), you wont need to disassemble it. It's a matter of:
    1) Drain the trans fluid.
    2) Remove the the pan.
    3) Remove the filter.
    4) Remove the valve body (8 bolts if I am not mistaken).
    5) Install new valve body (like mine - shameless plug again).
    6) Install new filter, use ONLY a genuine OE MB .036 - available from parts.com for best price.
    7) Intall new gasket on pan - again ONLY OE MB rubber gasket.
    8) Install pan.
    9) Trans fluid, I use ONLY MB, from the dealer, fluid, but that is a subject of debate.
    10) Follow MB instructions for circulating the new transmission fluid after fluid/filter change.
    s
    Entire job should take about an hour, if you work slowly and take a break...

If you are friends with your local Indy MB Tech, ask him if YOU caan do the job under his supervision, pay for using the lift of course, but doing the job while having him around will give you the confidence to start wrenching.

As a general rule I would replace the ALL copper washers, as well as the oil drain plug washer, maybe even the oil drain plug itself depending if someone used a "monkey wrench" or pipe wrench on it.

Kind Regards,

Ron

Will this first gear start valve body fit on and operate in a 1994 E500 722.370 tranny? Will it also fit on and operate in a 1994 S500 with 722.370 tranny?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Yes and yes.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Thank you very much for your quick response and confirmation. Although i am new to this forum, i have owned my 1994 E500 for six years. I also have a 1994 S500 which i have determined will also be retrofitted with a first gear start valve body. I trust there will be no detrimental effect to the longevity of either transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by americanled View Post
    Thank you very much for your quick response and confirmation. Although i am new to this forum, i have owned my 1994 E500 for six years. I also have a 1994 S500 which i have determined will also be retrofitted with a first gear start valve body. I trust there will be no detrimental effect to the longevity of either transmission.
    Cool, welcome on board Would love to see a Owners & Their cars thread!
    "But if you really must have the Porsche — if you really must have a Porsche sedan — you can buy a 500E and have enough left over for something air-cooled"