Thread: front lower control arms

front lower control arms

Would anyone have pictures they could post of both early and late style front lower control arms?
    Thanks in advance.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Re: front lower control arms

I believe Dave has posted these in the past but I can't find the post at the moment. Here's a link to his website with the pictures you seek...
    http://www.w124performance.com/image...early_vs_late/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

Thanks very much for the picture, Glen. I had found Daves post but the pictures were boxed Xs.(if anyone has the patience to educate me, i would love to know why that occurs). I need to spend some more time on his website.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

early and late style front lower control arms?
    [/QUOTE]

Daves website is amazing.

The sportline applies to ? what.
    Do 400E, E420 and 500E all share lower control arms?
    Do they share them with 300E and E320?

Where does the extra track width come from in the 500E?
    Not just the wheels?

Chris
    Chris
    400E 92 Almandine Red, 'Layla', $4000, 2012 with 130 000k, garage project so far
    E320 95, B/B, i turned him Sportline, daily, in neglect, 180 000k

Quote Originally Posted by sheward View Post
    Thanks very much for the picture, Glen. I had found Daves post but the pictures were boxed Xs.(if anyone has the patience to educate me, i would love to know why that occurs). I need to spend some more time on his website.

drew
    Drew, you're probably refering to this thread, post #2: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/show...-and-2-version
    I do neither see the two images in there now, they appear as "X". It happens sometime in other threads too, maybe someone could explain that further.
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I don't see anything as well for those images. They are linked directly from Dave's web site, not from this site.

Any image that has been loaded to this site's image database should show up in the "attachments" area below a post, or would be attached and then assigned to display "in-line" within a post.

Dave may need to check the health of the links for these photos so they're pointing to real images on his site.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Dave should stop moving around his images I updated the post with the pictures you linked, Arnt.
    "But if you really must have the Porsche — if you really must have a Porsche sedan — you can buy a 500E and have enough left over for something air-cooled"

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmer View Post
    Dave should stop moving around his images
    Does this mean you are joining me as a charter member of the GCY (GSXR Chain Yank) club?

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmer View Post
    Dave should stop moving around his images I updated the post with the pictures you linked, Arnt.
    Thanks Jelmer - I find those images quite informative.
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 500AMM View Post
    Thanks Jelmer - I find those images quite informative.
    +1

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by ccc View Post
    The sportline applies to ? what. Do 400E, E420 and 500E all share lower control arms? Do they share them with 300E and E320?
    Hey guys, sorry about the "red X" broken links... as noted above, I did move some things around my site, which is why that happened. Jelmer, thanks for fixing the image paths in that other thread!

The 300E, 400E, and 500E received control arms which matched the front brakes. The 294, 295, and 320mm diameter rotors all have a different hat offset compared to the 284 and 300mm rotors. ANY model which had these front brakes from the factory, received the "late" style LCA's. Cars with 284 or 300mm diameter rotors came with the "early" style LCA's. The .036 chassis was the only W124 that I am aware of which changed mid-production. Through mid/late 1993 model year in USA, the .036 came with 300mm rotors and early LCA's. After the break point they switched to 320mm rotors and late LCA's. The 284 and 300mm brakes are older and were used in the 80's. The 294, 295, or 320mm did not appear until 1990 at the earliest, I believe... that's when the late LCA's also showed up.

There are basically four total LCA types: early standard, early Sportline, late standard, and late Sportline. The difference between early & late is the ball joint area, the difference between standard and Sportline is the firmness (durometer) of the rubber bushings. The 500E came with standard LCA's, btw; probably to maintain some ride comfort. The Sportline bushings are almost as stiff as polyurethane and add significant firmness to the ride quality. If you don't autocross or go to the racetrack, I'd stick with the standard bushings/LCA's.

Where does the extra track width come from in the 500E? Not just the wheels?
    Yep, it's mostly just the wheels, although the 500E rear brake rotor hats are also 2mm thicker than the 400E hats. Not sure about the front rotor hats. The knuckle & hubs are larger (from the R129) but identical to the .034 chassis, and the .034 has the same track width as the 6-cyl models, IIRC... would need to double-check the spec sheets though.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

early and late style front lower control arms?
    Daves website is amazing.

The sportline applies to ? what.
    Do 400E, E420 and 500E all share lower control arms?
    Do they share them with 300E and E320?

Where does the extra track width come from in the 500E?
    Not just the wheels?

Chris
    The difference in the early and late style LCAs is limited to the ball joints. The early LCAs have a replaceable ball joint with a slightly larger casting that can interfere with larger brakes/rotors.

I believe the cars you listed all share the same LCAs and the added track width is due to the wheel width and offset. I'll leave it to those with greater knoledge to correct me.

(see Daves post)

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Drew is correct, but note that the LCA varied depending on the year & model. The early and late LCA's are interchangeable as long as your brakes will clear the LCA. All USA-spec .032, .034, .051, .052, .066, and .092 chassis have 294 or 295mm front rotors and therefore have the late LCA's. Older chassis (and all diesels) have 284mm with early LCA's (excluding the .036 as noted in my previous post).

I believe the cars you listed all share the same LCAs and the added track width is due to the wheel width and offset. I'll leave it to those with greater knoledge to correct me.

(see Daves post)

And then Dave's posts...

Thanks guy's. I think i finally have it sorted out wrt these control arms!
    sweet.

Next thing i want to figure out wrt LCA is if the rod connecting the left and right rear brackets
    where the LCA mounts on the 500E can be retrofitted to the 400E.
    Apparently it helps with stability in braking. I have looked under my 400E
    and don't see how it can fit around the steering damper, so i hope that someone can take pictures of theirs
    when they have their 500e on the hoist some time and post them, so i can see just how it mounts.
    Chris
    400E 92 Almandine Red, 'Layla', $4000, 2012 with 130 000k, garage project so far
    E320 95, B/B, i turned him Sportline, daily, in neglect, 180 000k

Next thing i want to figure out wrt LCA is if the rod connecting the left and right rear brackets
    where the LCA mounts on the 500E can be retrofitted to the 400E.
    Apparently it helps with stability in braking. I have looked under my 400E
    and don't see how it can fit around the steering damper, so i hope that someone can take pictures of theirs
    when they have their 500e on the hoist some time and post them, so i can see just how it mounts.
    Send me a pm with your email. I think I have the pictures you need. If not I will take them soon. I will have my car on the hoist later this week.

Doug

Hi, thats what I am fixing to my 400E420 Sledgehammer, you have to weld in mounting points on each side btw the LCA rear mountingpoints. I haven't yet done that and have no pix. but will as soon as it's done show.

About the LCA, my´93 400E420 does have the newer LCA, and about the theory when the slimmer LCA
    came or why, I think it was first seen on the R129 600SL as it had the 320 discs, they were thicker and therefore also
    had a deeper offset, later from `94 this setup was adopted on the E500 funnily not so on the 500SL wich also had
    ,,non vented rear discs,,! still, at least the 400E420 did have vented rear discs but of a smaller dia.

I guess the older style LCA was phased out, used for the lesser W124;s I have seen `95 m.y w replaceable balljoint.
    Maybe for the needed play to the thicker disc, probably also cheaper to produce, (more expensive for the owner)
    when the balljoint was out, they could sell you a complete arm and earn even more from that, ie. economic reasons.
    Good to see more people doing the upgrade on the 034, it's worth it, will you be kicking in one 5liter? Roger
    '92 500E 6.0 AMG
    '93 400E 5.0 AMG
    '96 E50 AMG
    '96 CL500
    '99 C43 AMG

I have located a pair of LCAs the seller claims were ordered wrongly. He states they are a european version made for a 94 E class. I have doubts. The part nos. he gave me are ME-WP 0735 and 0736. Can anyone tell me what these might be? I may not need them at all however the price is good and i would pass them along here if not.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

MEWP0735 and MEWP0736 are Moog brand, early-style LCA's. Available brand new from RockAuto at $132/ea. Pretty likely to be Chinese.

The late Moog equivalent would be MEWP0839 and MEWP0840. I wouldn't recommend using them.

Thank you, Dave. I'll pass them by.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

Is there an FSM on the front LCA inner / outer rubber bushing replacement? Does anyone know the part # for the Sportline version of those bushings? I think the 500E came with the soft version?
    I do not plan brake upgrades, so I just plan to refurb the existing.
    thank you,

Doug

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Yep, this is in the FSM. However the effort involved (and special tools required) make this a money-losing proposition. It's more cost effective to replace the entire LCA. If you intend to keep the small 300mm brakes permanently, you can get Lemforder aftermarket early-style LCA's at an affordable price.

However if you are changing the LCA, I would step up to the late-style LCA. The cost is a bit more but then your options are wide open for future brake upgrades if desired. Unfortunately at this time, the only options I am aware of for late LCA's are Febi or OE/Genuine, and the OE LCA's are spendy, about $365/ea via parts.com.

The Sportline LCA's with the firm bushings are really quite firm and you'll feel the difference in ride quality. In general I wouldn't recommend this unless you are planning track use, or you really want everything as firm as possible. I've installed the Sportline LCA bushings on two of my cars and I don't think I'll do it again.

dave,
    Is there a link somewhere to the FSM for W124?

This thread makes it look quite manageable and reasonably priced (to make a tool). Actually, I have a massive array of sockets and probably a large bolt and nut here that would work.
    http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/301701-home-made-$15-w124-lca-bushing-tool.html
    Is there a reason you advise against this approach?

thanks a milion! I view your (collective) advice as extremely valuable, but am not afraid to chart a different course, if it makes sense. It seems it is how one learns, too I try not to learn the hard way, but have been known to do so !

Doug

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

FSM links:
    http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/M...Suspension.htm
    http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/M...is/33-0510.pdf
    http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/M...is/33-0526.pdf

The Fruitbird forum link you posted was for the rear wheel support joint - completely different item. The DIY tool shown in that forum thread may work ok if the diameters are just right, AND if the joint is not seized in place. I have encountered a couple of extremely stubborn rear wheel support joints that I swore would break my factory tool, but amazingly did not. I've also had a couple slide in & out like proverbial buttah. That job is relatively easy with the correct tool, I've never tried the DIY method shown by Jeremy or Sixto.

Replacing the front LCA bushings is a real nuisance, and you should do the ball joint at the same time, which adds to the nuisance factor. With new early Lemforder LCA's at $300/pair, IMO it isn't worth the hassle. I'd still go for the late LCA's myself though. The 300mm front brakes are undersized even for street use and I don't like them.

I see the bushing replacement procedure is quite involved - thank you for the info. I guess I'll probably hold off on the $380 / per LCA upgrade at this time. I haven't seen the older LCAs for $300 / pair. $185 @ Autohaus and similar at Pelican.
    cheers,

Doug

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The early Lemforders are $150/ea at ElAutoParts.com, and if you look up the 5x5 ElAuto part number at AutohausAZ, they have them for a similar price.

The late style are spendy if you don't want Febi, which are available for ~$180/ea.

Why does AutohausAZ show a $30 price difference on those LCA's when entering seperate part #'s? They seem to both be early Lemfoerder parts. Could they be different units?
    "I think that in any race engine, the nearer you are to it disintegrating, in general, the better it's performance will be." Keith Duckworth

Quote Originally Posted by JordiC View Post
    Why does AutohausAZ show a $30 price difference on those LCA's when entering seperate part #'s? They seem to both be early Lemfoerder parts. Could they be different units?
    Ditto! I was scratching my head about that too. Is the $180 unit a Lemfoerder part for the later arms? If so, I'd probably go for that.

Doug

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

It's the same Lemforder part with two different prices, $190 vs $150. The difference is if you enter the 5x5 part number it is showing you the pricing from a different catalog / different vendor. Confusing, yes, but the same part from two different warehouses, two different prices, via the same front-end store

$186-188:
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...=124-330-30-07
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...=124-330-31-07

$154:
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ep=L2000-26556
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ep=L2000-30918

In other words, it's a back door to finding the same part at a lower price via Autohaus. Or you could just buy it from ElAutoParts, but to get free shipping you'd have to order each LCA separately, as they have a 20lb weight limit on free shipping and two LCA's exceeds the limit (I know, I know, it's stupid).

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    It's the same Lemforder part with two different prices, $190 vs $150. The difference is if you enter the 5x5 part number it is showing you the pricing from a different catalog / different vendor. Confusing, yes, but the same part from two different warehouses, two different prices, via the same front-end store

$186-188:

$154:

In other words, it's a back door to finding the same part at a lower price via Autohaus. Or you could just buy it from ElAutoParts, but to get free shipping you'd have to order each LCA separately, as they have a 20lb weight limit on free shipping and two LCA's exceeds the limit (I know, I know, it's stupid).

this is crazy that they have two different prices for the same part! How do you find the 5x5 part #? Is there a cross reference guide? Can you order the new LCAs with sportline bushings?

Does Autohaus offer free shipping? Or only Elautoparts?

Doug

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
    this is crazy that they have two different prices for the same part! How do you find the 5x5 part #? Is there a cross reference guide? Can you order the new LCAs with sportline bushings?

Does Autohaus offer free shipping? Or only Elautoparts?

Doug
    The only way I know to find the 5x5 part number is to look up the OE part number at ElAutoParts, or another vendor which shows the 5x5 (WorldPac?) equivalent. RPITA.

You can get new LCA's with Sportline bushings, your choice of early or late, but only OE/dealer (i.e., parts.com).

AutoHaus offers free ground shipping on orders over $50.

ElAutoParts offers free ground shipping on orders over $100 and under 20 lbs.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

$186-188:

$154:

Wow nice work Dave, those mushrooms must be helping
    1993 500E - 040 / 271 - Porsche Type 2758 ~~~~ 1971 250C Ivory / Cognac Leather

Past Cars - 1994 E500 - 2003 CL600 V12TT by SPEEDRIVEN - 1994 E500 - 1995 E320 Cab - 1988 BMW M6 - 1994 E320 Cab

E500E Guru

Has anyone ever found working discount coupon for autohaus? Dave any backdoor method for a discount on the late style control arms. I called today on the later which are Febi. Tony called the warehouse to verify origin and one was marked Spain and the other Spain/Germany. So hopefully of decent quality- i.e. not China.

Looks like the Left late is now ~ 211 autohaus or 205 at ELauto RHS is 172 and 188? Seem to be cheaper on the lates by entering the factory part number.

Michael
    Last edited by samiam44; 01-22-2013 at 12:13 AM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I'm seeing $172 each at Autohaus for the late LCA's. What part number are you looking up? I've never seen the late ones cheaper and I've never heard of an AutoHaus coupon. The backdoor discount was for early LCA's, not late.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

$186-188:

$154:

AutohausAZ does not seem to honor the 5x5 part # price. In fact, they no longer come up via the search engine. ElAutoParts do still use those part #s.
    The early front LCAs are $156 from ElAutoParts with free shipping at today's price. I believe Lemforders, but cannot verify 100%.

Doug

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Doug, it still works for me... if I look up 124-330-30-07 at ElAuto I get L2000-26556, and if I search for that at AZ it shows up for $161.59. So the price went up about $7 each, but the process still works. But yes, ElAuto is still a few bucks cheaper, however if you try to order both sides in the same order, you'll be charged shipping. You'd need to place two separate orders from ElAuto.

Doug, it still works for me... if I look up 124-330-30-07 at ElAuto I get L2000-26556, and if I search for that at AZ it shows up for $161.59. So the price went up about $7 each, but the process still works. But yes, ElAuto is still a few bucks cheaper, however if you try to order both sides in the same order, you'll be charged shipping. You'd need to place two separate orders from ElAuto.

I tried to order over the phone through Mike at AHAZ. He said they don't use those part #s. Also, I inputted *L2000-xxxx . I now think the * threw the system off. I did order from elautoparts in separate orders. Worked as you described.
    Thank you,

Doug
    Last edited by DW SD; 02-06-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: threw not through :-)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Doug, I've ordered the "odd" part numbers via Autohaus, but only online... never over the phone. I received the parts expected at the prices shown on the web page. Strange that they wouldn't do this over the phone. No worries though, you got a lower price via ElAuto anyway.

Joseph from Rock Auto ElAutoParts is saying they don't have the early Lemforder arms in stock any longer. He has some on order, but not sure of delivery times. Has canceled my order.
    Should I buy a tool to change out the bushings and use a press to change the ball joint?

Michael,
    Did you buy the later Febi (reasonably priced) version? Any feedback on those?

Kind of wanting to address all of the car's bushings before I do the alignment. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Maybe I'll look at those from AHAZ again.
    Doug

I'm going to pull the trigger on the AutohausAZ early lemforders. They are $161 ea.
    No real high speed autobahn usage or track duty for this 500E for me.

BTW - Joseph from Elautoparts also said he can't sell them now as he doesn't know the new price, yet. And he doesn't know when the order will arrive.

Doug

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Michael said the late Febi LCA's he received recently were not Chinese, and he did not have reservations about installing them on his car. YMMV, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    I believe Dave has posted these in the past but I can't find the post at the moment. Here's a link to his website with the pictures you seek...
    http://www.w124performance.com/image...early_vs_late/
    Be careful when ordering from Parts.com. I ordered the 1994 E500 LCA and they sent me the early LCA's.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re-opening an old thread instead of starting fresh...

I have a 92 500e and just purchased the late style LCA's to replace my current "early" style due to the bushings being worn out, and wanting to upgrade the brakes in the future.

I ordered the LCA's from MBoemparts for about $430 a piece (ouch)... One arrived in a few days time, and the second took about a week. The first one I received had a ball joint boot that was less than impressive for a brand new $430 part. See the attached photos. The boot is completely intact, but you can see that it is inflated. I tried pushing it down on the ball joint shaft, but it still won't sit nicely. One side of it will have the pleat fold in, and the other side will have a pleat, but doesnt seem right. I tried pushing the boot up the shaft and squeezing the boot to get some excess air out, but this also forced a small amount of grease out...
    Has anyone ever received one like this? You'll see that on the other one, the ball joint boot likes normal, a little dirty, but normal. I'm assuming that these have been sitting on the shelf for a while...

As part of the overall project, I'll be replacing the shocks with bilstein sports, 2 bump spring pads, OEM strut mounts, sway bar bushings and the driver side tie rod (which has a tear in the boot at the wheel side).
    My current control arms are very rusty, and am wondering if anyone has ever painted the new OEM LCA's to try to protect them even more than the factory paint does.

Looking forward to getting all of this installed and feeling brand new again. I replaced the shocks and mounts about 50,000 miles ago with meyle HD parts, but figured while I am replacing the other expensive parts and getting an alignment, that I might as well replace shocks and mounts.
    1992 500E - 215k miles

The boots do get squashed down when the upright / spindle is bolted up. I'm guessing the deflated look will go away. Can you read a part # on the two boots and note any difference? Are both stamped MB?

I'd be more concerned of the quality of the rubber. Perhaps hard to discern this, however.

Good luck!

Doug

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

front lower control arms

I would think that it came from another locale, check date code on it. At the end, if its not up to snuff, send it back. You should call Bob directly and explain whats up and get consensus. It may be ok but if it looks askew, whats another week...
    Last edited by nocfn; 08-22-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

At a minimum I would remove the funky boot and replace it (the boots are available new relatively cheap). A better option would be to exchange it for a different unit if possible, but that's a PITA and may take a week or two. Based on the photos both LCA's look to be identical and OE MB, and I'm at a loss to explain the boot issue. It does appear the lower circlip was not installed properly but that doesn't explain the color difference; the dark/black one is how it should appear.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

IslandMon (08-22-2017)

E500E Guru

I'd reuse your struts- 50,000 miles isn't much on them.

I'm not sure how the painting is done on the struts. You can definitely improve corrosion prevention @ the spring seat. needs a drain path , but the spring contact area can be treated. Ever cut one in 2 with a sawzall? Is there paint on the inside- if not a good rinse with thinner and then adding some self etching epoxy primer and sloshing it around, then draining could be helpful.

Overall primer/paint improvement? If you need it we can talk and it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by samiam44 View Post
    I'd reuse your struts- 50,000 miles isn't much on them.
    I bought Bilstein sports to replace the current, which I think are Meyle HD. While I'm replacing every part I might as well do the struts! Will have 2 spare struts to collect dust.

Quote Originally Posted by samiam44 View Post
    I'm not sure how the painting is done on the struts. You can definitely improve corrosion prevention @ the spring seat. needs a drain path , but the spring contact area can be treated. Ever cut one in 2 with a sawzall? Is there paint on the inside- if not a good rinse with thinner and then adding some self etching epoxy primer and sloshing it around, then draining could be helpful.

Overall primer/paint improvement? If you need it we can talk and it can be done.
    I was referring to painting the lower control arms. The paint job does look pretty decent, so I'll probably just leave them as is.

Re: the LCA with funny looking boot, MB OEMparts is shipping out a replacement, and sent a return shipping slip. Great service!

Has anyone who has done this job needed to use the fancy spreader tool to remove the ball joint from the wheel carrier? Or does a flat bladed screwdriver with pry action accomplish the same thing?
    The repair manual says to pack with preservation wax. Anyone have a recommended product?
    1992 500E - 215k miles

50. The Following User Says Thank You to IslandMon For This Useful Post:

gsxr (08-26-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by IslandMon View Post
    Has anyone who has done this job needed to use the fancy spreader tool to remove the ball joint from the wheel carrier? Or does a flat bladed screwdriver with pry action accomplish the same thing?
    The repair manual says to pack with preservation wax. Anyone have a recommended product?
    You should not need the fancy spreader tool, or any tool, if all goes well. You will likely need to tap the LCA/BJ out of the spindle with a hammer. It's a tight fit with the later/larger brake rotors which sit 6mm further inward, but if you have the early/smaller brakes it may come out OK. If you have any trouble, remove the brake rotor to make room.

I've never used preservation wax, but I did apply anti-seize on the BJ and inside the pinch bolt holes. I've taken some apart that had surprising amounts of rust/corrosion inside. Then, I use RTV externally to seal the gap and prevent water from getting in there. Photo attached.

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Eno (08-26-2017), IslandMon (08-26-2017)