Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: OWNER - Glen (199)

Re: OWNER - Glen (199)

Good thing the damage was minor, would hate to see this totalled in traffic..
    PS only 15k miles left to the next milestone

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    Gerry: I documented it starting at post #176. I was getting code #5 on pin 19.
    Thanks - I hadn't seen that. I actually am getting same code about 2-3x per year, so need to do the same. I have spare ETA gaskets so, looks like I have a new job to do this fall now that the Texas temperatures are starting to moderate a bit.

Glad you are ok and the damage is minor.

Had a bit bigger accident myself a few weeks ago.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by 036/199 View Post
    Had a bit bigger accident myself a few weeks ago.
    Uh oh. Sounds like you're ok, that's good. What happened?

Uh oh. Sounds like you're ok, that's good. What happened?

Young guy hit me,ended up with his car and the 997 written off...

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by 036/199 View Post
    Young guy hit me,ended up with his car and the 997 written off...
    Dang, sorry to hear. Glad you're ok.

Dang, sorry to hear. Glad you're ok.

Cheers!

Going to fix the 997 and convert it probably as a track toy.
    Is only the right rear axle ripped off and a bit body work.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
    Maybe you can use some of the $3K towards a repaint ?
    Funny you should mention that, Karl. I have been going back and forth between repainting and leaving the "patina". The original paint is presentable from about 25 feet away and certainly understandable given the high mileage but doesn't represent the car in a truly positive light. In a way, the accident has made the decision easier since repair will include some paint work. To avoid having new paint on the rear quarter and bumper and faded, crazed paint everywhere else, I have made the decision to have it repainted.

To minimize costs, I spent the weekend de-trimming it at home. I don't have a final cost for the repaint yet but I expect it to be about $6k.
    That's on top of the accident repair!
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

Funny you should mention that, Karl. I have been going back and forth between repainting and leaving the "patina". The original paint is presentable from about 25 feet away and certainly understandable given the high mileage but doesn't represent the car in a truly positive light. In a way, the accident has made the decision easier since repair will include some paint work. To avoid having new paint on the rear quarter and bumper and faded, crazed paint everywhere else, I have made the decision to have it repainted.

To minimize costs, I spent the weekend de-trimming it at home. I don't have a final cost for the repaint yet but I expect it to be about $6k.
    Glen, your instincts are spot on as usual. "Patina" is deferred maintenance and / or repairs, and that's all it is 99.9% of the time that this horrid buzzword is used. To use your own turn of phrase, if something is truly "patina", it does present the car in a more favorable way. I posit that this is almost never the case. You know what to do, and there will probably never be a better time...
    Last edited by Klink; 10-06-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

Wow that will be amazing, did you have someone planed to do it ?

I know of 1 or 2 places that are said to be high quality with lower overhead so they better pricing.

1993 500E - 040 / 271 - Porsche Type 2758 ~~~~ 1971 250C Ivory / Cognac Leather

Past Cars - 1994 E500 - 2003 CL600 V12TT by SPEEDRIVEN - 1994 E500 - 1995 E320 Cab - 1988 BMW M6 - 1994 E320 Cab

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Wow that will be amazing, did you have someone planed to do it ?

I know of 1 or 2 places that are said to be high quality with lower overhead so they better pricing.

I'm sure I could have found a less expensive option but I'm using Rancho Auto Body in Encinitas. I've had repair work done by them on my BMW, my dad's Lexus and my wife's wagon over the years and they do excellent work. The owner is a great guy and is willing to work closely with me as we move forward.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

That looks like a lot of work and should save you quite a bit on the paint job. Can't wait to see the results. Are you doing a color change?

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Yes indeed, quite a bit of work. I managed to get all the cladding off with only a few clip casualties too. Took me about 10 hours total to strip it down.
    No color change, will be Glasurit 199 Black Pearl.

Nice work Glen, you jumped right in, next up the interior !

Thx for the updates !!!

Past Cars - 1994 E500 - 2003 CL600 V12TT by SPEEDRIVEN - 1994 E500 - 1995 E320 Cab - 1988 BMW M6 - 1994 E320 Cab

Glen,

Can't wait to see the finished product. With all of that stripping it should really turn out nice.

FWIW, my pet peeve on paint jobs is when the painter does not get paint on return lips ie; fender rolls, the sides of the hood or where the fender returns back into the engine compartment.

Better to state your expectations up front than to be disappointed later.

Take Care
    Terry

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Thanks guys.

Terry, I hear ya but it all comes down to cost and painting those areas can add significantly to the job.

Just curious Glen, did you drive the car in that stripped condition to the paint shop? I am thinking of stripping the car, removing the claddings, knobs, bumpers, etc. when I have the repaint. Wondering if I would be violating some rules prelude to a ticket.
    Regards,
    Manny

WOW!

Good luck,Glen!

Looking forward for pics of the progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Emaq View Post
    Just curious Glen, did you drive the car in that stripped condition to the paint shop? I am thinking of stripping the car, removing the claddings, knobs, bumpers, etc. when I have the repaint. Wondering if I would be violating some rules prelude to a ticket.
    Regards,
    Manny
    In California, your car must have bumpers, working headlights/tail lights and door handles for rescue purposes. shaved or missing door handles are illegal. Also, vehicles must have a passenger mirror if you do not have a rear view mounted near the windshield, but we do so that does not apply. An officer may let you off since it will be obvious when you explain yourself that this is not the way you normally drive the car. They may write you a fix-it ticket which will be $25 here in CA once the car is restored to legal trim. It is within their right though to discern that the vehicle is unsafe to be operated any further and have it impounded or demand you have your own towing arrangements made.
    "Digestion kills r/t's!" -- 400Eric
    Click Here to view my mod thread

Best E.T. w/ N2O: 12.794 @ 110.82 - N/A: 13.805 @ 102.94

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Manny,
    I drove it to the shop as pictured above. Yes, it's technically illegal but in my case, the shop is about 5 miles from my house via surface streets. It's odd driving without side view mirrors and with the bumpers inside the car, I had limited rearward view from the interior mirror. If the shop were further away, I'd hire a tow truck.

Glen

I'd do the same thing.. Imagine it would be hilarious getting pulled over in this, trying to explain it's not just an old piece of junk lol

Will be cool seeing it with a coat of fresh paint.. From the first pics DrP posted it didn't look too shabby, but I do know how desert cars parked outside tend to not shine with years and I saw the close ups.. Bet you can't wait

That is a great.
    ..."story of my life" (c)

i never thought that anyone can roll 500e to milage that high
    i know few german w124 with diesel running with 1million + kilometers on cluster but those are diesels

Glen, you doing a great job with giving to those beast another chance to life, nice work

AWESOME! Let me know when you go to visit during the project. I'd like to meet up with you to take a look.

Doug

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Will do, Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
    AWESOME! Let me know when you go to visit during the project. I'd like to meet up with you to take a look.

Doug

I just caught up with this unfortunate occurrence. Good thing it was minor damage. Great decision on repainting it and good job disassembling. It's a special car. Keep us posted.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

Glen,
    Are you going to have the front and rear glass pulled before paint?
    Did most of the 10hrs of de-trimming take place removing the door rubber and windows?

Can't wait to see the final results !

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Steve:
    The front windshield will be removed and more than likely replaced with new. The rear glass will probably be left in as I don't want to take the chance of breaking it.

The most time consuming part was the cladding and bumpers because you have to be really careful not to break clips or cladding tabs. Also, I removed all the metal trim from the bumpers and each cladding panel.

Door rubber, handles and quarter glass is actually very easy and doesn't take much time at all.

what color are you painting the bumbers and clading ?

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

what color are you painting the bumbers and clading ?
    I was thinking pink or purple would be a cool contrast to Black Pearl.

Seriously though, it's a tough decision between leaving it factory two-tone or modernizing with monochrome Black Pearl. I haven't made up my mind yet so you'll just have to wait until it's done to see what my final answer is.

Steve:
    The front windshield will be removed and more than likely replaced with new. The rear glass will probably be left in as I don't want to take the chance of breaking it.

The most time consuming part was the cladding and bumpers because you have to be really careful not to break clips or cladding tabs. Also, I removed all the metal trim from the bumpers and each cladding panel.

Door rubber, handles and quarter glass is actually very easy and doesn't take much time at all.
    I would strongly advise you to get all new clips for best result . Because old clips (plastic) tend to dry out after so many years and not so good holding parts together. I learn that lesson even on 2005 or so cars. So please get new clips cuz it is twice special car (mileage/036) .

Excited to see what you got after paint job !

500E 1 of 15

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I was thinking pink or purple would be a cool contrast to Black Pearl.

The rear glass will probably be left in as I don't want to take the chance of breaking it.
    Probably a good idea. I had my rear glass replaced a year ago when I had the car repainted. This summer, I noticed that the defrost was not working correctly and had a local dealer replace the glass under warranty. They broke the first glass they put in and had to order another window. Glad I only had to pay for the first of three!

Are you replacing the sunroof seal? It seems like a lot of the paint shops I talked to did not want to replace it and just wanted to spray over it.
    1992 500E 702/275

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by Hollybrook View Post
    Probably a good idea. I had my rear glass replaced a year ago when I had the car repainted. This summer, I noticed that the defrost was not working correctly and had a local dealer replace the glass under warranty. They broke the first glass they put in and had to order another window. Glad I only had to pay for the first of three!

Are you replacing the sunroof seal? It seems like a lot of the paint shops I talked to did not want to replace it and just wanted to spray over it.
    The sunroof seal comes out really easily, no reason not to remove it for painting. Whether you replace it or not depends on it's condition.

For the rear glass, the shop says they have some cool masking tape that has a right angle edge on it. The edge slips between the body and glass rubber, which is then pulled back and stuck down, leaving a gap for the painter so there shouldn't be a visible paint line.

I've spent a couple hours totally intrigued by this thread! The durability of these cars when properly maintained is amazing. But even more amazing, Glen, is your ability and dedication to revive this high miler
    and maintain its' reliability! Excellent thread! Excellent work!
    1992 400E 79k miles
    1992 500E 89k miles
    1997 BMW M3 125k miles
    1988 BMW 735i Manual Transmission 76k miles
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 98k miles DD

Glen,
    ETA on when we might see the unveiling of the new paint job?
    Can wait to see the car. I am sure it will give me inspiration to get mine repainted - maybe at the same shop if the quality lives up to your standards.

Cheers

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevester 500E View Post
    Glen,
    ETA on when we might see the unveiling of the new paint job?
    Can wait to see the car. I am sure it will give me inspiration to get mine repainted - maybe at the same shop if the quality lives up to your standards.

Cheers
    It won't be coming home for at least another couple weeks. As of last Monday, the damage to the bumper mount (from being rear-ended a month ago) was repaired. All the minor dings have been fixed and the entire car was sanded, primed and about 80% blocked. They have started on the cladding and bumpers but I haven't seen them yet. Sorry, no pictures as the car was in a dark area when I visited.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

I forgot to post these earlier. Here are some shots of the rusted battery box. I believe this damage was caused by a leaking battery at some point in the past. This is the only rust on the whole car!

Repairing this will consist of cutting up a brand new battery box...but it's the only way to do it right for the long haul.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glen; 11-03-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: 8537

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Starting repair of battery box...

Glen - is that part number 124 630 04 60? If so, it was what I needed to fix my corroded battery tray. See here at post #14:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5922&highlight=tray
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by 8899 View Post
    Glen - is that part number 124 630 04 60? If so, it was what I needed to fix my corroded battery tray. See here at post #14:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5922&highlight=tray
    I don't have the part number handy, the shop ordered the part for me but it's probably the same part you ordered. I agree with you and your shop, the only correct, long term repair is to replace the part.

Nice to see it being proper fixed!

Looking forward to see the pics of the progress!

I applied the "temporary" Kent fix to the hole in my battery box.

So far, so good. It is a lot thinner than a real battery box, so we will see how long it will last.
    Last edited by Trae; 11-06-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

small glimpse at the primer looks good.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Trae, the fiberglass repair will probably hold up fine for years. For me, the incremental cost wasn't very much so it made sense to weld in a new box.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Progress...

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Nice work, Glen. Are you doing this yourself?

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

OWNER - Glen (199)

Quote Originally Posted by sheward View Post
    Nice work, Glen. Are you doing this yourself?

drew
    I wish. No, I'm having the shop that's painting the car do all the work. They can do it faster and better than I could. I think color will be going on this week!

Here's a shot of the completed battery box interior:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417915958.743851.jpg

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...
    Last edited by Glen; 11-13-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: 8950

Baking...[/ATTACH]
    I'm betting that you decided to shelve the two-tone paint and go for monotone 199. When do we find out for certain?
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

I'm betting that you decided to shelve the two-tone paint and go for monotone 199. When do we find out for certain?
    +1 on this

Going to be amazing ether way, how many 036 do we get to see with new high quality paint .

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

I'm hoping to get the car home sometime next week. Two-tone or monotone; original or modern...
    Place your bets with Karl

I think you went two tone. Looking forward to seeing it either way. It will look tremendous!

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

I also think Glen went with 2-Tone. I wager his bushing press I've had for almost 2 years now.
    "Digestion kills r/t's!" -- 400Eric
    Click Here to view my mod thread

Best E.T. w/ N2O: 12.794 @ 110.82 - N/A: 13.805 @ 102.94

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

In natural light, fresh out of the booth. Color sanding and buffing still to come...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415981409.804223.jpg

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

I'll say this, at this point, the paint looks fabulous. It's very, very smooth as is. I think many would find it more than acceptable even without color sanding!
    So far, I'm a very happy camper

I am betting on monotone, almost without any doubt !

It looks very nice Glen.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

I will double down, it will be monochrome.